2nd Annual M.A.N.E. Event

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although we had a really great bunch of people at Split Rock I would think the more the merrier. So I'll open this thread for comments and suggestions and to let others know there is something being planned. Split Rock has a lot of pluses: we are familar with it, the lodge has all adjoining room making it desireable should we have a large number of people, there are plenty of activities for people with children or if you just wanted to do something else, the location is pretty centralized, plus the festival, hard to beat. However I'm sure there are other places that could be considered if we wanted to try something different. I'm not sure if another time of year would entice more peolple and it's way to early to commit to anything not to mention we don't know when the next Split Rock festival is. Based on how we all got along I would think suggestions would be welcome.

Although we had a really great bunch of people at Split Rock I would think the more the merrier. So I'll open this thread for comments and suggestions and to let others know there is something being planned. Split Rock has a lot of pluses: we are familar with it, the lodge has all adjoining room making it desireable should we have a large number of people, there are plenty of activities for people with children or if you just wanted to do something else, the location is pretty centralized, plus the festival, hard to beat. However I'm sure there are other places that could be considered if we wanted to try something different. I'm not sure if another time of year would entice more peolple and it's way to early to commit to anything not to mention we don't know when the next Split Rock festival is. Based on how we all got along I would think suggestions would be welcome.
Your place. I'll bring a keg of ho-made beer and the potato salad.

We're pretty flexible depending on my wife's classes. She did a good job studying in advance for her test that she took that Monday. Just needs a "doneness" timer, like the one that comes on a fresh turkey, when it pops she's done drinking wine.

Your place. I'll bring a keg of ho-made beer and the potato salad.

We're pretty flexible depending on my wife's classes. She did a good job studying in advance for her test that she took that Monday. Just needs a "doneness" timer, like the one that comes on a fresh turkey, when it pops she's done drinking wine.

If you were ever considering a day trip or overnight stay Northern VA is a great wine region. There are some areas where you drive down a road and all you see are vineyards after vineyards on both sides of the road. Some loosely consider it the next NAPA Valley.

If you're looking for a similar type event, but in a different location there's a winefest in the Finger Lakes in mid July each year. It's held at the race track outside Watkins Glen and would be a long drive for many of you, but might be an option. The link to this year's event is posted below.

Pros:
Big number of participating wineries / daily seminars on wine & cooking / ample free parking / on site camping & glamping

Cons:
Long drive for most (not me!) / nearest hotels are in town a few miles from the venue

http://www.flwinefest.com

It's going to be tough to find something more centrally located than Split Rock for the current group of people. Won't rule out any destinations that the group decides, we like to visit new areas.

Here's a wine fest in Maryland each May. http://wineinthewoods.com/

The other thing about Split Rock though, very few Wine Festivals or events are going to have accommodations were you can walk to and from the festival.

It's going to be tough to find something more centrally located than Split Rock for the current group of people. Won't rule out any destinations that the group decides, we like to visit new areas.

Here's a wine fest in Maryland each May. http://wineinthewoods.com/

The other thing about Split Rock though, very few Wine Festivals or events are going to have accommodations were you can walk to and from the festival.

Heather's recommendation for Split Rock does seem to be the perfect venue and the walking distance is another plus for it. Maybe not for a meet up but this one was posted awhile ago and thought it was interesting. Perhaps because I'm from and have family in Pittsburgh.
http://www.awspghwineconference.org/

If you were ever considering a day trip or overnight stay Northern VA is a great wine region. There are some areas where you drive down a road and all you see are vineyards after vineyards on both sides of the road. Some loosely consider it the next NAPA Valley.
We were considering an overnight trip to the Barboursville Vineyards area, I just love their Cab Franc (https://www.bbvwine.com/wine-shop/cabernet-franc-reserve).

@mainshipfred and Craig, Having been to Wine in the Woods, Virginia Wine Festival, and PA wine festival, I have to say that the proximity of Split Rock and the PA fest are unique. We'll be hard pressed to find something that's co-located.

Back