2022 Virginia Cab Franc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I did do a check for MLF completion, and it looks like it did get done (probably a couple of months ago). Added a bit of Kmeta and will rack sometime this week onto some oak, just have to figure out what flavor and how much. I'll take a taste test and see how much body the wine has before determining that, it is nice and clear at this point.

Fred, how is yours going, what do you feel would be a good oak addition if you are doing one?
I haven't checked MLF for completion on any of my 22's yet, I guess it's time. I ended up with 27 gallons of CF so I'll definitely have some options since my largest barrel (it will be the 3rd year) is 50 liters. To answer your question directly I haven't given it much thought yet. I want the 21's to stay in the barrels a little longer and I still have some spring wine waiting to see a barrel. In 2020 I started playing with powered tannins rather than oak and liking the results. All my barrels are for the most part neutral.

I haven't checked MLF for completion on any of my 22's yet, I guess it's time.
Fred, Happy New Year! I'm wondering about your SO2 protocol. Undoubtedly, you're topped up - under lock - but, considering only this CF (you said all of your 22's) where's the line for you when adding 'meta is preserving the wine but not disrupting MLF? Assuming you haven't racked after MLF, therefore not added 'meta, is the wine still bleeding CO2?

Fred, Happy New Year! I'm wondering about your SO2 protocol. Undoubtedly, you're topped up - under lock - but, considering only this CF (you said all of your 22's) where's the line for you when adding 'meta is preserving the wine but not disrupting MLF? Assuming you haven't racked after MLF, therefore not added 'meta, is the wine still bleeding CO2?
I let all my wines complete MLF in glass and top them up to less than 1/2" of headspace, sometimes less than 1/4". I just sulfited the 2022 Chilean wines over the weekend and that has been 6-7 months with no oxidation issues.

Hopefully I'm not pressing my luck.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Finally moved the Cab Fanc today, an unexpected harvest of diamonds.... I need to take a sample up to @jgmann67 , my pH meter is showing a crazy high number (4.30). Definitely have it pretty well sulfited, may have to continue that as there is little hope of lowering the pH at this point. This assumes my meter (Milwalkee 101) hasn't left this earth to find greener pastures...Test solutions measure spot on (within 0.03).

Sample has a really nice flavor and aroma and I just added some xoakers, so no oak taste yet.

4-1-23_diamond-harvest.jpg

Edit: did check the meter on wines that were already bottled. Picked a 2016 Pinot Noir that was 3.43 when bottled, 3.51 now. So I don't think it's the meter.

Last edited:
Finally moved the Cab Fanc today, an unexpected harvest of diamonds.... I need to take a sample up to @jgmann67 , my pH meter is showing a crazy high number (4.30). Definitely have it pretty well sulfited, may have to continue that as there is little hope of lowering the pH at this point. This assumes my meter (Milwalkee 101) hasn't left this earth to find greener pastures...Test solutions measure spot on (within 0.03).

Sample has a really nice flavor and aroma and I just added some xoakers, so no oak taste yet.

View attachment 99997

Edit: did check the meter on wines that were already bottled. Picked a 2016 Pinot Noir that was 3.43 when bottled, 3.51 now. So I don't think it's the meter.
Sounds like your meter is working fine (the probe on my Milwaukee went bad and I only have my pen meter anymore... need to get another). Maybe take a sample and try to drop that pH to 3.6-3.7, then taste it again. What's the worst thing that could happen?

View attachment 99997

Craig, I just took a pH reading with an uncalibrated meter and got 3.98. A lot higher than I would like but it's not 4.30. I'll calibrate it later and let you know what I get.

Craig, I just took a pH reading with an uncalibrated meter and got 3.98. A lot higher than I would like but it's not 4.30. I'll calibrate it later and let you know what I get.
Fred, I checked it on some wines I knew what the pH was when bottled. It's in range, wondering if the pH took a hike because the must was frozen for a time before I fermented. @ibglowin thought that could happen via potassium extraction from the skins, plus the MLF might move it higher as well. I remember yours was in the 3.6-3.7 range before you fermented it, right? So 3.7's to 3.98 is a noticeable jump.

Fred, I checked it on some wines I knew what the pH was when bottled. It's in range, wondering if the pH took a hike because the must was frozen for a time before I fermented. @ibglowin thought that could happen via potassium extraction from the skins, plus the MLF might move it higher as well. I remember yours was in the 3.6-3.7 range before you fermented it, right? So 3.7's to 3.98 is a noticeable jump.
You're right, it is a noticeable jump which surprised me as well. I can't remember if I took the initial reading or it was given to me by the vineyard.

Latest posts

Back