2022 Virginia Cab Franc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up 500 lbs of Cab Franc today that I'll be sharing with @Cynewulf and @ceeaton. Couldn't be any fresher, I was loading my brutes as they were picking the grapes. It will be interesting to share our notes since we are going to have 3 different approaches. They should have hug longer but they had to be picked due to the expected rains. The numbers aren't the greatest pH 3.74 and SG 1.082. I'll be adding sugar to try to get 13-13.5% ABV and get the preferment pH down to at least 3.65

Attachments

• 2022 Cab Franc.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
@mainshipfred - I grew up in Virginia and just wondering where in the state they are able to grow Cab Franc? Sounds like you are in for a good time. The grapes look excellent in your pictures.
There are several vineferas that do well in Virginia. Among them are Chardonnay, Viognier, PV, Norton, Tannat and Cab Franc. Cab Franc might not do as well as the others though it typically does fine. Cab Sauv on the other does not do well here.

Picked up 500 lbs of Cab Franc today that I'll be sharing with @Cynewulf and @ceeaton. Couldn't be any fresher, I was loading my brutes as they were picking the grapes. It will be interesting to share our notes since we are going to have 3 different approaches. They should have hug longer but they had to be picked due to the expected rains. The numbers aren't the greatest pH 3.74 and SG 1.082. I'll be adding sugar to try to get 13-13.5% ABV and get the preferment pH down to at least 3.65
Fred, did you do a TA measurement?

I know his is a controversial subject but I don't use TA numbers for any wine making decisions so I don't take TA readings.
That's fine. I try to use the TA to see what my options are for pH adjustment. I can check it when I git it!

I'm looking over my notes and trying to remember how to make wine, it's been a while, lol.

Cab Franc slushy anyone? Actually surprised they have thawed enough to break apart. Spent the night in the car, was chilly here, ended up freezing to my cloth back seats. Moved in so I can hopefully pitch some yeast in a few days. Running 67* in the house right now, so might take some time. Need to warm some up so I can check their vitals.

Thank you again Fred!

10-16-22_cab-franc-frozen.jpg

Finally got above 60*F this morning (barely) so pitched yeast after adjusting pH from sugar addition last night (popped it above 4.0!). Took a sample before pitching yeast to test TA after I go pick up some new chemmies at the supply store this afternoon. I got some juice on my sweatshirt sleeve, I've been wanting a beverage all day at work, lol.

I ended up with 27.5 gallons after racking off the gross lees from 300 lbs of grapes pressing at 1.5 bar. Using 5 fermenters and 5 yeasts I was able to fill a 5 gallons carboy with the wine from each yeast. Usually they are combined after press but this time it just worked out. The yeasts used were BDX, D80, D254, MT and R56. I'm looking forward to seeing what flavor profiles the different yeasts have to offer, keeping in mind it is these grapes from this vineyard this year.

I think @ceeaton is doing a single ferment using GRE and must that was frozen for over 2 weeks. @Cynewulf will go all native including MLF and added some of the CF from his vineyard. I don't know what adjustments they are making but it will be interesting to see how the 3 approaches turn out.

Last edited:
Mine tested at 3.83 pH the day after we crushed. I don’t like to add things if I don’t have to, but I was nervous about the pH being so high so added 20 grams of tartaric to about 10 gallons of must. The next day it was 3.74 so I added a gallon of Cabernet Franc from my vineyard that was 3.47 plus another 30 grams of tartaric. The next day fermentation was pretty well on its way and I didn’t feel like going to the trouble of degassing a sample to test again so not sure where the must pH ended up but based on my additions, I calculated the must may have ended up around 3.53.

After 10 days it was almost dry and I started getting hints of a sulfurous smell, likely H2S. I punched down more vigorously the next day then pressed the day after that. I racked 4 days later and there was no more sulfur smell and it actually is tasting pretty good.

I also separated 23 lbs to fill a 3 gallon fermonster and added around a half gallon of juice to experiment with carbonic maceration. The pH is really way too high to be doing it but I wanted to try it out anyway.
02B50A6C-2A3C-45DB-B8EA-D22FE4C9B50A.jpeg
I just pressed that one last Friday (a little over two weeks after they went in) and got about 1.5 gallons of wine. The pressed wine tasted incredible, though it was likely only 3-4% alcohol at that point. It fermented fairly vigorously in a carboy over the weekend. I racked it today and we’ll see how it is going in another year or so.

Hope we get a chance to taste all three (or four) versions side by side eventually!

Yup, pitched ICV-GRE, it's slowly starting up now, must is only at 65*F. After adding sugar to get SG to 1.094, pH increased to 4.03. Adjusted into the high 3.8's, about to retest a sample I took before pitching yeast. Also will do a TA test since I picked up new sodium hydroxide yesterday (what I had was 5 years old, lol).

Thinking about inoculating with CH35 mlf, I'm hoping to use the elevated fermentation temps to help get the bacteria established. Where the brute is located isn't going to get any warmer this week from what the weather forecast looks like.

Might also feed with some DAP pretty soon as it seems to get a higher temperature response, then use Fermaid O the rest of the time, if needed. My notes from my last GRE ferment showed two additions, one after 10% sugar reduction, the last after 50% sugar reduction. No notes about any major sulfur smell, so expecting a low and slow ferment won't need tons of extra nutrients. Terminal SG last CG ferment with GRE was 0.992.

Will have to bottle early by my standards if we are going to taste side-by-side. I tend to let my wines age longer than the average winemaker.

Edit: At what SG am I supposed to press this? I kinda remember doing it before fermentation was complete so I still has some CO2 coverage in the brute. It's been 5 years or so since my last batch from whole grapes.

Last edited:
TA before acid additions was 5.6 g/L. After reducing the pH with tartaric acid, 7.5 g/L.

Fermentation is really going so a current pH test is futile at this point... CH35 rehydrated and fed, pitched. We'll see if it sticks, I'll test in a month. Never had a MLB addition that didn't work, but there is always a first time (cool temps are worrying me). Temp of must is up to 67*F with noticeable frothing. Kitchen starting to smell good (at least to me, waiting for the "girls" to start complaining. Dog seems interested in the brute, first ferment for her).

Just did an SG check, down to 1.080, so definitely moving slower than expected. No off smells, temp is running 9*F higher than room temperature. Noticed the color is nice an dark from what I saw through the clear hydrometer tube. Much darker than my first batch of Cab Franc 6 years ago. Cap is nice and firm and about 3-4" thick when I punch down.

Just did an SG check, down to 1.080, so definitely moving slower than expected.
Slower than expected? Hmmm, got that one wrong. Tested the SG this morning and it was just below 1.000. Still a nice cap, but wasn't too busy at work so took a 1/2 day of vacation. Pressed and ended up with 7 gallons, will rack in couple of weeks after checking to see if MLF is complete. SG down to 0.994 after pressing. Used my butt bucket press, smells heavenly, nice color!

10-24-22_bucket-press.jpg

Slower than expected? Hmmm, got that one wrong. Tested the SG this morning and it was just below 1.000. Still a nice cap, but wasn't too busy at work so took a 1/2 day of vacation. Pressed and ended up with 7 gallons, will rack in couple of weeks after checking to see if MLF is complete. SG down to 0.994 after pressing. Used my butt bucket press, smells heavenly, nice color!

View attachment 94408
Did you use any enzymes? I got 28 gallons with 300 lbs but I did use a bladder press.

My normal is 7 gallons per 100 lbs, yes I used Lallzyme EX. I think freezing them affected them as much as enzymes would, though it didn't hurt to do both.

I'm sure a bucket press is less than efficient, I go for quality not quantity, lol. Internet seems to think 7-8 gallons for 100 lbs is pretty normal, and of course everything on the internet is correct...

FYI, I did do a check for MLF completion, and it looks like it did get done (probably a couple of months ago). Added a bit of Kmeta and will rack sometime this week onto some oak, just have to figure out what flavor and how much. I'll take a taste test and see how much body the wine has before determining that, it is nice and clear at this point.

Fred, how is yours going, what do you feel would be a good oak addition if you are doing one?

Latest posts

Back