2022 Spring Ferment (All Frozen Must)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, like my friend @NorCal says, #blendsrule!
I like a good blend but most of my wines have been single varietal though I have a lot of experience with GSM blends and Bordeaux Blends. Can always fix a wine by adding a little of something with more intense color in, Had to do that at work cause the Grenache last year was basically orange and had no color to it at all.

@crushday, every harvest is different, as is every vintage. As much as it pains us, each is not optimal.

You already know the answer -- the color may be a disappointment but the aroma is good. Blend for color. Make this work!

EDIT: my 2019 Merlot and Zinfandel were disappointingly light when bottled. 1.5 years later, the color in both has stabilized darker and is pretty. As much as I'd like darker, I'm not complaining.

@crushday, every harvest is different, as is every vintage. As much as it pains us, each is not optimal.

You already know the answer -- the color may be a disappointment but the aroma is good. Blend for color. Make this work!

EDIT: my 2019 Merlot and Zinfandel were disappointingly light when bottled. 1.5 years later, the color in both has stabilized darker and is pretty. As much as I'd like darker, I'm not complaining.
My Zinfandel from last year was super pale basically garnet at best in color more like pale ruby could see through it quite easily. But Zinfandel can be like that, the wine is every bit as powerful as a big cab and very full bodied and has a abv of 16.5%.
And that was after using several enzymes and cold soaking.

Update:

I have a bit of a dilemma as the Zinfandel is done. Although I have not checked the BRIX, the skins are floating with no organized cap. Today it's forecasted to rain ALL DAY. Since I do my pressing outside, this feels like an issue. Even if I did press it wouldn't be until tonight - but according to the forecast it will be raining until midnight.

The Malbec is two days behind the Zinfandel.

The Cab will continue to work until Friday as will the blend. I did increase the heat on the Cab and the color is improving.

What is the harm of an extended maceration of the Zin and Malbec if I leave it until Friday? I have moved the Zin to my garage now where it is only 50 degrees. I could move the Malbec there too when it's done. Friday's forecast (I get off at 1pm) is sunny and 61.

I have a bit of a dilemma as the Zinfandel is done. Although I have not checked the BRIX, the skins are floating with no organized cap. Today it's forecasted to rain ALL DAY. Since I do my pressing outside, this feels like an issue. Even if I did press it wouldn't be until tonight - but according to the forecast it will be raining until midnight.
A lot of folks are doing EM. With kits they are sealing the fermenter, but wine emits a LOT of CO2 post fermentation, so you should be ok. I'd cover the fermenter with plastic, maybe tie it or use bungie cords. It won't be a perfect seal, but probably good enough.

Last edited:
If the skins are floating it’s still going. If you check the brix you might find there’s still a percent or two left. My visual cue for when it’s done is when the cap falls just under the surface. Also, don’t be afraid to get those top skins wet for these last few days. Of course if the cap falls completely then just cover and let rest for a few days. Like winemaker said, there’s a lot of CO2 still locked in the must which gives you 2-3 days of flexibility for less than perfectly sealed fermenters.

Pressed the Malbec and the Zin. The Cab and the Syrah/Cab blend are about 2/3 days out.

Here are a couple pics:

Let the party begin.

6914F187-5697-4CC7-A6E4-2F9F1CDD766A.jpeg

First Zin fermentor almost empty.

DC98ADCA-1669-4D42-9522-60EA0EB3AF88.jpeg

Second Zin fermentor on deck.

A72AC279-0837-40ED-8D03-88A8C145437F.jpeg

Zin pomace.

A83099F6-2451-4AD6-BEF3-D1ED1FE684CB.jpeg

Malbec free run.

72D878B0-2B64-4846-8046-2E96F9C2D703.jpeg

Malbec free run, 2.

FCF8D2B8-DCDA-419A-B249-31723B192218.jpeg

Zin (two 120L Speidels)
Malbec (one 120L and one partially filled 60L)

EBC17FB6-B998-4B92-9896-EDEB4A6186B1.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of press is that? I have only seen the old manual screw press ones. Looks like it operates with a pressurized water filled bladder?
It’s a Lancman bladder press. It gets "squirty" so I’ve wrapped it with a 55 gallon drum, cut to fit. Keeps everything cleaner.

Here’s what it looks like without the wrap:

12DF299F-93AB-4997-ACCE-6A08B313B4B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Update:

Just punched the Syrah/Cab Blend and the 2 batches of Cab. Going to be a couple more days on the Cab. I could press the blend tomorrow but I prefer to press the remaining must on the same day. It takes about an hour to clean up. Set up takes about 20 minutes.

BTW, a couple Brix measurements:

Zinfandel 1 (pressed) -1.6 Brix
Zinfandel 2 (pressed) -1.6 Brix
Malbec (pressed) -0.8 Brix
Cab 1, 2.5 Brix
Cab 2, 2.3 Brix
Syrah/Cab blend, 0.9 Brix

What’s remaining is almost dry.

Note on the Zin pressing yesterday: Zinfandel is an incredibly messy grape, IMO. It breaks down to a mere mush and makes pressing difficult. The fine particles are two to three times higher in volume to other varieties so there's more racking needed to clear the wine. I do like drinking it, however.

Last edited:
What kind of press is that? I have only seen the old manual screw press ones. Looks like it operates with a pressurized water filled bladder?
Bladder press, I use the old school presses when I do my batches at home I’ve got a press that’s like 35-40 years old and works like a charm and idk I like the old school presses sort of what you think of when you think of wine.

Update:

Just punched the Syrah/Cab Blend and the 2 batches of Cab. Going to be a couple more days on the Cab. I could press the blend tomorrow but I prefer to press the remaining must on the same day. It takes about an hour to clean up. Set up takes about 20 minutes.

BTW, a couple Brix measurements:

Zinfandel 1 (pressed) -1.6 Brix
Zinfandel 2 (pressed) -1.6 Brix
Malbec (pressed) -0.8 Brix
Cab 1, 2.5 Brix
Cab 2, 2.3 Brix
Syrah/Cab blend, 0.9 Brix

What’s remaining is almost dry.

Note on the Zin pressing yesterday: Zinfandel is an incredibly messy grape, IMO. It breaks down to a mere mush and makes pressing difficult. The fine particles are two to three times higher in volume to other varieties so there's more racking needed to clear the wine. I do like drinking it, however.
Zinfandel is a pain lol I experienced that mush in mine cause I used colorpro and that made it worse lol didn’t think it would but made getting particles out a nightmare I had to rack it like 5 times and let it settle out and still got some sediment in bottles but it’s okay.
I loved the Zinfandel on bottling I was drinking it while bottling and got drunk lol

Back