Other 2022 Kit plans...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Merry Christmas All 🎄 🎅 🌟

Wondering what everyone's 2022 Kit plans are?

Mine currently include:

RJS En Primeur Argentina Malbec

RJS En Primeur Italian Rosso Grande Eccelente

Finer Bordeaux

Finer Strawberry

Finer Blackberry

Plus a Concorde Grape -- not from kit though.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Finer Forte Super Tuscan
Finer Forte Cab Sauv
Finer Tavola Chardonnay
RJS Cru Int. Okanagan Meritage
Mosti Meglioli Chardonnay
RJS En Primeur White Trio
RJS En Primeur Cab Sauv
RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan
(2) RJS RQ22 “El Pasodoble”Petit Verdot
RJS RQ21 “chariot” Spanish Muscat
WE Private Reserve Lodi Ranch Cab
WE Island Mist Coconut Yuzu
WE Island Mist Pineapple Pear

My plans are to first do the kits I already bought that I haven’t gotten around to yet. They are:
RJS Toasted Caramel dessert wine
RJS Raspberry Mocha dessert wine
RJS Cru Select Valpola
Then 3 cheaper kits for tweaking:
Fontana Merlot
Wine Lover’s Malbec
Wine Lover’s Gewurztraminer
Merry Christmas and Blessings to you and your loved ones in the new year!

My plan for 2022 based on early results from 2021

The 3 LE kits that I pre-ordered in fall of 2021
then nothing but:
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer
Finer...

Wow! That is a screaming endorsement as to the impressions and viewed superiority of the Finer kits. As someone who has yet to taste them, I am excited to hear this.

I have a Wine Expert Chardonnay being delivered today. Probably will start in a couple weeks.

I’m really wanting to explore and make Italian wines this year.

Still to be bottled 2021 wines are 3 Finer kits (Super Tuscan, Barbera, and newly started Syrah Forte) and 2 RJS EP kits (both Amarone) already in works, along with my first ever hand picked grapes - Mourvedre 2 carboys lightly pressed, 1 carboy 2nd run.

For 2022 I just got great news that the WinExpert LE Marselan is already on its way from Label Peelers (I did not think it would ship till February), with the earlier delivery I now plan to 'recycle' the two skin and one seed pack (all in muslin sacks) from the Finer Syrah Forte. I don't know how much they'll have left to add but figure it cannot hurt and if there's only a bit of tannin, mouthfeel, extra structure to add that's fine as the Marselan sounds like a lighter early drinker. It's a Cab. S + Grenache clone and was grown in France (Languedoc) which made me take a chance on WE when I am otherwise mostly interested in Finer kits. I have to admit I am also tempted by the WE LE carignan+garnacha one, which does come with skins.

Other 2022 kits to be determined, but likely all Finer reds, likely my first Zin, Pet, and Pinot, maybe a Bordeaux blend too (but not happy that Cab Franc is missing this year). Looking forward to their Rhone blend and other blends or limited edition kits.

Honestly, having just started winemaking at the beginning of 2021, I also want to bottle more (so far only bottled my RJS Int'l Cru Nebbiolo and RJS EP Super Tuscan) and taste more of what I already made, which will help me decide how much more to make versus buying good QPR wines from K&L and de Negoce.

I just started a double batch of WineXpert Apres Chocolate Raspberry and an RJS Cru Specialty Toasted Caramel.

After that comes an Orchard Breezin' watermelon and an Orchard Breezin' peach. I will short the water and bump up the sg to move them from wine cooler to wine territory. I did the same peach kit that way last year and it was a hit with my family and friends.

I just started a double batch of WineXpert Apres Chocolate Raspberry and an RJS Cru Specialty Toasted Caramel.

After that comes an Orchard Breezin' watermelon and an Orchard Breezin' peach. I will short the water and bump up the sg to move them from wine cooler to wine territory. I did the same peach kit that way last year and it was a hit with my family and friends.
I also did a double batch of the Chocolate Raspberry kit(fermented each separately and later combined). I have not started the Toasted Caramel yet. I guess I was expecting something different based on the reviews but it's okay. Probably have to let it age a bit and try again in a few months (bottled in December). The peach on the other hand is excellent. Bumped up to 10% and it's fantastic. Great summer wine. Everyone keeps asking for more!

@Joecmk I did the choc raspberry last year and everyone loved it. However, it was my first kit ever and I made some mistakes. I am hopeful I can do it better and also age it longer before giving it away. I wanted to come close to Eagles Landing Winery Serenity, and doesn't come near to that in my opinion but we will see if this turns out a little closer. I am doing the opposite as you - fermenting together then racking into 2 - 3 gallon carboys.

I also have a freezer full of raspberries and some homemade chocolate extract and I plan to do some experimenting with actual raspberry instead of a grape wine with a flavor pack of a kit.

I see the toasted caramel is the same - a grape with a flavor pack (as expected); I am hopeful that one turns out, as well!

After that comes an Orchard Breezin' watermelon and an Orchard Breezin' peach. I will short the water and bump up the sg to move them from wine cooler to wine territory.
I have 2 fruit wines planned (from concentrate) and am considering purchasing a lower end red kit, to use the concentrate to bump up the ABV and body. A few years back I added 1 liter red grape concentrate to an Elderberry concentrate, and it came out quite good.

Why the red kit? It's cheaper to purchase a kit than the equivalent in 1 liter cans of concentrate. I use as much as I need, and either freeze the remainder for another use or make the remainder to use as a topup wine. A white kit would work for the watermelon and peach.

I have 2 fruit wines planned (from concentrate) and am considering purchasing a lower end red kit, to use the concentrate to bump up the ABV and body. A few years back I added 1 liter red grape concentrate to an Elderberry concentrate, and it came out quite good.

Why the red kit? It's cheaper to purchase a kit than the equivalent in 1 liter cans of concentrate. I use as much as I need, and either freeze the remainder for another use or make the remainder to use as a topup wine. A white kit would work for the watermelon and peach.
I might try that for the watermelon. I have read reviews that state it is VERY sweet as-is so adding some less sweet white might be a good idea.

I have a bottle of the base from the peach I did last year - it's what I removed to add the fpack. Since the peach was a hit last year, I plan to do the same as last year, but I can mix the reserves in with the watermelon. Good ideas - thanks!

I might try that for the watermelon. I have read reviews that state it is VERY sweet as-is so adding some less sweet white might be a good idea.
The sweetness of the watermelon will come from the F-pack. There are several ways to reduce sweetness:

1. Add some of the F-pack when you start the wine, so the sugar in it ferments. Note that WE stated there is sorbate in the F-packs, so it's likely the Orchard Breezin' does as well. This may not prevent the fermentation, but may affect it.

2. Don't use all the F-pack. When backsweetening, add half the pack and taste. Keep adding until you think it needs just a bit more, then stop. If you don't use it all, put the remainder in the freezer to use for something else in the future. [I have no idea what else you might use it for.]

3. Make a larger batch of base wine. The more wine you have, the less sweet the F-pack will make it. For this reason (among others), do not short the water.

4. Make a neutral-ish white kit separately. When ready to bottle the watermelon, put all the watermelon base in a primary, add the F-pack. Add the white kit, a few cups at a time, stirring well in between additions, and taste. When you get the level of sweetness you like, stop and bottle. The plus of this method is you'll have at least a few more bottles of wine to enjoy.

The remaining white can be used to do the same for the peach, and any remainder can be used to top up other wines or simply enjoyed on its own.

@Joecmk I did the choc raspberry last year and everyone loved it. However, it was my first kit ever and I made some mistakes. I am hopeful I can do it better and also age it longer before giving it away. I wanted to come close to Eagles Landing Winery Serenity, and doesn't come near to that in my opinion but we will see if this turns out a little closer. I am doing the opposite as you - fermenting together then racking into 2 - 3 gallon carboys.

I also have a freezer full of raspberries and some homemade chocolate extract and I plan to do some experimenting with actual raspberry instead of a grape wine with a flavor pack of a kit.

I see the toasted caramel is the same - a grape with a flavor pack (as expected); I am hopeful that one turns out, as well!
I did add a bit of Chocolat

That's a good idea with the red kit..didn't know you could freeze the unused portion.

Latest posts

Back