2021 Wine Season!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the Fulkerson's suggestion -got grapes from them for ten years. If you want a great rosé try the grape called "Rosette" -you can buy the pressed juice from them.

I'm already pretty stoked about 2021. I just finished racking all the wines this weekend and won't touch them again until January. I'm interested in in trying some new varietals: Grenache blanc, Vermentino and Malvasia Bianca for whites; Grenache noir, Syrah, Carignan, Graciano for the reds. I'm up for anything, so if you in the Sierra Foothills or Lodi region and want someone to go in on a larger buy please contact me.

I think I posted this somewhere else that Gino Pintos plans on opening a facility in Ashland VA. I emailed Mike recently to see if they were still on track and his response is below

"Yes, we are working on it and should have something set up by spring. Please check back with me around April. Do you know what you want from South African? We will have in grapes Pinotage, Cab Sav and Barbera. Looking forward to hearing from you."

He specifically mentions S. African but I can't imagine they won't have Chilean as well. The only thing is he said "should have something set up by spring" which leaves a little uncertainty. Just thought I would mention it for those in this area.

I think I posted this somewhere else that Gino Pintos plans on opening a facility in Ashland VA. I emailed Mike recently to see if they were still on track and his response is below

"Yes, we are working on it and should have something set up by spring. Please check back with me around April. Do you know what you want from South African? We will have in grapes Pinotage, Cab Sav and Barbera. Looking forward to hearing from you."

He specifically mentions S. African but I can't imagine they won't have Chilean as well. The only thing is he said "should have something set up by spring" which leaves a little uncertainty. Just thought I would mention it for those in this area.

Thanks Fred. I'm about to have several empty carboys. Maybe a little Chilean would be in order this year.

Just joining this thread as I start to wonder about source of grapes this coming season. I bought last November from a local winery that imports from CA. He receives grapes, crushes and I purchased 6 gallon buckets of must; CS from Paso Robles, OVZin from Lodi and Malbec from WA state. Expensive though, $155 to $175 per 6 gallon bucket of must. Wondering if I could do better on price if I bought west coast grapes myself. I spent about $1,600 on must last year, yielding 30 gallons in bulk storage now.

Just joining this thread as I start to wonder about source of grapes this coming season. I bought last November from a local winery that imports from CA. He receives grapes, crushes and I purchased 6 gallon buckets of must; CS from Paso Robles, OVZin from Lodi and Malbec from WA state. Expensive though, $155 to $175 per 6 gallon bucket of must. Wondering if I could do better on price if I bought west coast grapes myself. I spent about $1,600 on must last year, yielding 30 gallons in bulk storage now.

IME, that does seem a bit spendy. However, shipping is the big unknown. Unless you are shipping in large quantities, it is a big cost/lb of grape.

Do you have any winemaking clubs in your area?

Not so much winemaking to have a club in these parts, I'm afraid. At least, not that I am aware of. Perhaps to the north in NC. Also exploring the frozen buckets of must, which are much less expensive. Any opinions on frozen v. "fresh"?

Last edited:
@DaveMcC, S&H is the killer. I pay a lot more than folks on the west coast.

I'm part of a grape buying co-op based in Durham NC -- we make a bulk purchase of CA & WA grapes and limited juice. The large quantity (5+ tons total) reduces the S&H. We have guys coming from as far as Wilmington NC. The coordinator has a crusher/destemmer, and a lot of us crush on-site. My cost is about $110/5 gallon carboy of finished wine.

Durham appears to be a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. If you want more information, PM me.

That's a great price for the distance, the finished product, and the enjoyment.
Yes! I'm coughing up a fair amount up front, but the wine will last a long time!

My actual per-bottle price is lower, as I make a 2nd run wine which produces an additional 50% of the wine. In 2019 my cost per bottle for the 2nd run was $0.38. Yes, 38 cents per bottle, including corks & capsules. My total average price per bottle was amazingly low, and my 2nd runs are very drinkable now.

This spring I have a Chilean chenin blanc bucket coming, For the fall I am thinking of 3 lugs of merlot and 3 of Cab franc with the intent of blending some and leaving some as single varietals. I also plan to get a Nebbiolo bucket, and was thinking that I could get an extra lug of merlot and ferment them together. I've really enjoyed 10yr Nebbiolo's so I'd like to push this that direction. Open to suggestions there.
I don't know if I'll do local grapes this year, I'll have to post about last year's project in a separate thread.

I don't know, that sounds like a bargain. I will be driving 4 hours to E WA this year to pick up from the vineyard and my price is $1.15-$1.25/lb. Your co-op definitely gives you some advantages.
From posts by folks on the west coast, it appeared their prices are significantly better than I can get.

My selection is limited -- we get 1 shipment based upon when Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot are available, so we are limited to grapes available then. I'm not complaining, just pointing out a limitation. We get a good selection, and I have access to grapes I'd not otherwise have. So yes, the co-op is a big benefit!

Sounds like most of you are on the east coast, but for those of you in AZ I’ve been using Peddlers Sons for a few years and couldn’t speak more highly of them. I bought about 1,000 lbs of grapes last year for about $1.2 per lb. The grapes generally come from Central CA, but are in excellent condition. If you saignee they create excellent wines.

Finally put some thought into spring. Gettin stuck in my ways apparently. Goin malbec again. d80/254 combo.
Will be a 20+ gal batch plus some extra for a full rosé carboy.

x22 half lugs
x18 malbec. x4 petite verdot. or some variation of this

will steal at least 6 or 7 gal of juice at crush for the rosè.

Did a chilean malbec in ‘18 & ‘20. The ‘18 malbec produced the most virbrant inky purple wine i’ve ever made. And they came in with big acid. Hoping ‘21 is similar. adding PV and saigneé — will be tryin to get this sucker as big as i can. If some extra sugar is needed upfront to get >24.5brix then so be it —especially if acid is big again. Nit worried about keeping true to the varietal. I just want a big ass wine.
also big wine- big oak? Might be an excuse to try out a 50L American barrel for the 1st time.

I do love the spring season. And one of the best things about it —- NO FRUIT FLIES!

Back