2021 Merlot Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressed the wine today by myself, my neighbor said he was sick, so no help this time. The gravity was at .998, it could have gone a few more days, but I figured I would get this out of the way before New Year's Eve. Everything went well, not much to report, it tastes good right now. I put the wine into pails and snapped on the lids, will rack to a tank tomorrow, got about 31gal free run and 6gal press.

Sg.JPG

press 1.JPG

Press Cake.JPG

I racked the wine into the tank 24hrs after pressing, pH is 3.42, the gravity has been .996 now for 5 days, but it is fermenting producing gas at a steady pace. The MLF may have started even though I haven't added the CH16. I'll run a chromatogram to get a malic base line, the must initial malic acid wasn't high to begin with. This is the first time I've used BM4x4 and this is the first time I had a wine stop at .996, I'll know a little more in the next week or two. I just want to make sure I get the bacteria suppressed as soon as the malic acid is gone.

The gravity is still .996, so it seems like the MLF decided to take off on its own. The base line chromatogram from a few days ago shows a nice malic spot, so at this point there are no concerns about sugar being consumed by the bacteria. I'm inclined to not bother to add the CH16 and let the existing bacteria finish the job, let me know if anyone has a different opinion.
I'm speculating that the brix went higher after watering back, but I'm not sure, once fermentation starts it's difficult to tell what's going on. For 10 years I've been spoiled with DV10 never questioning if the sugar will finish. I'll run another chromatogram once the activity starts to slow down. It's always an adventure.

ML Merlot 010422.JPG

Good to see you're still out there. I'm running out of Rose so if you want to swap, it needs to be soon!
Buddy- I’m out here. And missing it more than you know. This is in my blood. And to not have it right now is fcking torture!

I’ll be back soon. 100% Starting from scratch basically. Equipment, supply, wineroom etc Loooooong story. And lots of glassware. Too many stories tbh. Would probably give ya nightmares In the process of stepping off the roller coaster. For better or for worse. That’s life. Knowing myself and nobody around to keep me in check I’ll probably dive back 10x harder and put my bed in the damn wineroom lol.

Looking forward to another chapter. But also dreading it at the same time. Idk. Shit is weird right now. First goal is just actually getting to that point

[and if a certain smug lawyer happens to read this post 👋- all I gotta say is Have fun diggin thru over 4,000 posts and countless DMs looking for dirt— just to end up with a whole bunch of wasted time]

Oh, goo
Buddy- I’m out here. And missing it more than you know. This is in my blood. And to not have it right now is fcking torture!

I’ll be back soon. 100% Starting from scratch basically. Equipment, supply, wineroom etc Loooooong story. And lots of glassware. Too many stories tbh. Would probably give ya nightmares In the process of stepping off the roller coaster. For better or for worse. That’s life. Knowing myself and nobody around to keep me in check I’ll probably dive back 10x harder and put my bed in the damn wineroom lol.

Looking forward to another chapter. But also dreading it at the same time. Idk. Shit is weird right now. First goal is just actually getting to that point

[and if a certain smug lawyer happens to read this post 👋- all I gotta say is Have fun diggin thru over 4,000 posts and countless DMs looking for dirt— just to end up with a whole bunch of wasted time]

Oh, good luck Andrew. I feel for you.

AJ, so sorry…. Better and lighter days ahead.

Oh no. I hope you are well and getting through things as well as you possibly can.

Latest posts

Back