2021 Merlot Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
I picked up 500 Lbs of must from the freezer yesterday, I haven't opened any pails yet as it's still thawing. I guess we'll be fermenting through Christmas this year. The following numbers are from Brehm and look good, but I'll get some actual data once the must warms up. I'm going with a BM4x4 starter and have DV10 as a back-up, CH16 ML is on hand. From these preliminary values I don't expect any additions other than typical sulfite, nutrients, and enzymes, though not sure yet I may toss in some untoasted oak. I'll get some photos posted in a day or two. The roller-coaster is clicking its way up the hill.

Grape data 2021.jpg

Did you have them ship to you via FedEx or go pick up in PA? IIRC they used to have a cold storage place close to you but now it looks to be Scranton, PA which is ~700 miles away from you.

There is a freezer in Crete IL so I just had it shipped and picked it up from there, only about 30min away.

@Chuck E No problem, my order usually goes in sometime in July, you're basically buying futures.

Added 35ppm SO2 yesterday, the must is currently at 50F and has been getting some cold soak. I pulled out some must for a starter which I'll get going today along with pH and brix, I'll be adding enzyme shortly. The must is in good shape, great aroma of tannin and a hint of fruit, cabernet berries are very small, some are as small as peas.

Must 2021.JPG

After heating and cooling the starter must, the brix is 25 and pH is 3.52, I just pulled several ladles from each pail and combined, so this is just rough data, but I would say the numbers are good enough for now. I'll check again once everything is fully blended in the vat. The pails were at 55F, the starter was 61F, I added the first dose of nutrients and then pitched. BM4x4 has a low end temp of 60F, so I'm probably pushing the temp a bit on the low end for pitching, but I babied the heck out of it to avoid temperature shock. I raised the room temperature for the evening so hopefully everything will be good by morning.

Starter pH.JPG

Adding Starter.JPG

After soaking, the must ended up slightly higher brix than initially reported. I put everything into the vat and circulated the juice, temp 61F, brix went up to 25.5, pH 3.54, I added 1.2 gal of water and 25 grams tartaric acid, final brix 24.5, pH 3.52 though it would be a few hundredths lower if measured at 68F. Yeast activity is just getting started, we'll see how it goes from here.

Must pH.JPG

Brix.JPG

Vat.JPG

Temp came up a little bit, currently 72F, brix 20, I added the second dose of nutrients, we're still in the Honeymoon phase, aromatics are really nice red fruit, raspberry to my nose.

Temp.JPG

Latest posts

Back