2020 is happening.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bit of a bottling day yesterday-Yielded 2+ cases of varietal Sauvignon Blanc, and 5+ cases of Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion (66%/33%) blend. Of the two, the blend is the initial favorite. Very good flavors in both. We even opened a bottle of the new wine last night with dinner and it's good already. In another 2-3 weeks, I think it can become a regular.

While it's basically clear, it isn't crystal clear, so I will need to work out filtration for 2021.

This wine was from the frozen grape juice I got from wine grapes direct-I can highly recommend these guys as a great source of Washington wine grapes.

One other thing-the first picture, the Sauvignon blanc went into recycled wine bottles, hence the color variation. The Second picture I got all new clear bottles from Napa Fermentation for $6 per case. What a convenience-I am so done with label removal except in very select circumstances.

View attachment 74836View attachment 74837

Drinking some of the Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion blend tonight. It's become quite good. Very much ready to drink, great body and taste, wife likes it a lot. Big win all around. Has an unfortunate slight haze that settles out. I think it's the bentonite. Will filter next year, but still it's awesome to have garage made wine, that is actually very good to drink, and ready in just 6 months.

8E1DA0E8-9327-41F4-B902-E51E4CAF28A9.jpeg

Last edited:
@CDrew can I ask, when you added acidulated water to the Barbera rosé what did you target the amount of tartaric acid at?

I am tasting several rosés of X and I noticed the Merlot had a long acid finish, clearly an addition, and crazy enough I think it may have used acid blend due to the malic ascorbic flavor.

@CDrew can I ask, when you added acidulated water to the Barbera rosé what did you target the amount of tartaric acid at?

I am tasting several rosés of X and I noticed the Merlot had a long acid finish, clearly an addition, and crazy enough I think it may have used acid blend due to the malic flavor.

I measured the TA of my juice and used that number to make up my acidulated water. So I measured around 7gm/L in my barbera juice, so to water back, I mixed up water at 7gm/l with grape derived tartaric acid, and used that to dilute the Barbera (Rose) juice. That way it didn't change the TA of the whole thing. I would never use acid blend. Also you need the right tartaric acid. The synthetic stuff has 50% of the wrong isomer, so only use the grape (natural) derived tartaric acid.

Latest posts

Back