2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for time ever buying grapes under the PIA label - bought some nebbiolo-
pressed on the weekend - color looks good and pleased with the taste -will wait to see in about a year for the final product
was always happy with the quality under Delta

I think Jim was referring to this link that was shared with the WW list from a guy in Colorado that received grapes from Delta Packing last weekend, which is I believe who WW gets their grapes from: Facebook Groups.
My California barbera grapes from Gino Pinto were from a company called Lodi Gold, but its part of Delta. They were in great shape. So probably not a blanket issue, maybe only some deliveries?

I think Jim was referring to this link that was shared with the WW list from a guy in Colorado that received grapes from Delta Packing last weekend, which is I believe who WW gets their grapes from: Facebook Groups.

Yep, that's it! Crossing my fingers that ours look nothing like that. This is only my 3rd year ordering through WW, and while I haven't bottled any wines from those grapes, they are good so far - especially last year's.

One of the WW members provided a link to a Facebook page complaining about the quality of their delivery from Delta.

View attachment 66528
I asked Jim Gearing about our delivery. But up to this point, he hadn’t seen our delivery yet.

They will get there sometime Friday. The truck is unloaded and ready for the 7:30 pick up group. They will still be pretty cold by the time we get there. Just checked 67 Friday going down to 43 and 64 on Saturday, bring a jacket.

@Ajmassa Are you still sleeping in the house?
Lol. I definitely pushed my luck. Though the bulk came at pressing which I had moved into the garage from the basement.

spring ferments are pleasant. Fall kicks my ass. Not just me though. All my neighbors been complaining of a bad fruit fly season. Even with just a bowl of apples on the counter, but fermenting 30gallons of grape juice and skins takes it to another level even with preventative measures taken.

I def need to rethink my fermentation setup and move it out of the house into the garage or shed.

@mainshipfred: I take it that's the press from the WW member. Looks like a beauty.

Really is, crushed and pressed the Vio today. I was told to press at .2 bar and work my way up to .8 adding more grapes each time. Turns out I was able to get all 150 lbs in it and could probably have gotten 200. With reds after going through fermentation and having the enzymes working longer 200 should be no problem. BTW, I pressed to 2 bar.

Really is, crushed and pressed the Vio today. I was told to press at .2 bar and work my way up to .8 adding more grapes each time. Turns out I was able to get all 150 lbs in it and could probably have gotten 200. With reds after going through fermentation and having the enzymes working longer 200 should be no problem. BTW, I pressed to 2 bar.

How did you choose 2 bar? I have played around with press pressures too, from a low of 1 bar to a high of 2.5 bar where the pressure relief opens. There really isn't any guidance out there. I've settled on 1.5 bar and found there is essentially no more wine from 1.5 to 2 bar, or if there is any it's just a trickle out of the press. But I agree, the bladder press is a huge improvement overall.

Here is a tip to protect your bladder press in the "off season". I'm sure you have a 32 gallon Brute trash can. Invert that over the press and use a ratchet strap to keep it together. That keeps it from getting banged up during the 11 months that it isn't being used.

6BEE287C-459B-4690-B62A-AF9B539BBC39.jpeg

How did you choose 2 bar? I have played around with press pressures too, from a low of 1 bar to a high of 2.5 bar where the pressure relief opens. There really isn't any guidance out there. I've settled on 1.5 bar and found there is essentially no more wine from 1.5 to 2 bar, or if there is any it's just a trickle out of the press. But I agree, the bladder press is a huge improvement overall.

Here is a tip to protect your bladder press in the "off season". I'm sure you have a 32 gallon Brute trash can. Invert that over the press and use a ratchet strap to keep it together. That keeps it from getting banged up during the 11 months that it isn't being used.

View attachment 66577

First of all I like what yo did to keep the press on the dolly, probably steal that idea. The winemakers told me to stop a .8 for the best quality juice. But what is .8? Is it when the pressure holds steady at .8. As the grapes relax the pressure drops. I went to 2 because I didn't like my yield and you're right after a certain point there is not much more juice to be extracted.

Aaaaaannnnd, just like Christmas Eve, I'm ready for bed at 6pm on Crush Eve. 🤣

What are you talking about? 2020 is already fermented, pressed and racked off the gross lees and nearly done with MLF!

(But have fun tomorrow with the grape santa)

And why is it that crush and fermentation are so fun, and bottling is such a chore?

What are you talking about? 2020 is already fermented, pressed and racked off the gross lees and nearly done with MLF!

(But have fun tomorrow with the grape santa)

And why is it that crush and fermentation are so fun, and bottling is such a chore?

I love bottling... and capsuling and labeling.

Going out to the garage to prep my fermenters.

Latest posts

Back