2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I picked up my spring grapes Mike told me they are trying to open a facility in Ashland for fall 2021. If it happens it's a no brainer for me. That 6 hour trip is a long one. But to those who travel much further, especially @crushday, sorry for whining.

Ashland would be good - only issue there is dealing with 95, but at least it isn't summer traffic.

@GR!: Do you have a price list from Gino's?

I did the 6hr round trip to Gino Pinto’s this morning! Got Cab Franc, Merlot, Cab Sav, and Petit Verdot. I was super happy with the grapes and am thinking they will be my go-to for the foreseeable future.
I got California barbera grapes at GP yesterday. $42/36lbs. They were in great shape. That place was hopping.

When I picked up my spring grapes Mike told me they are trying to open a facility in Ashland for fall 2021. If it happens it's a no brainer for me. That 6 hour trip is a long one. But to those who travel much further, especially @crushday, sorry for whining.

It definitely was a long day but when you look at what those West Coast guys are doing.... ill keep my 6hrs and 300lbs of grapes!

Attachments

• Scanned_from_a_Lexmark_Multifunction_Product08-19-2020-125349 3.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think I'm skipping making any wine for 2020. I made a huge amount last year, and I'm already short on space to store it before I've even bottled it all.
We also harvested our own Muscat earlier this week, but only got about 120 lb of grapes, last year I got about triple that. So we decided just to preserve the juice and make some jellies and like. We also froze a whole bunch of them in small snack bags for the kids lunches at school.
I'm still making a batch of beer every month or so, and my garden and hot sauces are keeping me busy too.
At least I got to try out my newly electrified grape crusher, worked well.
Having said that, I now find myself with 350lbs of Dornfelder grapes in my back yard, and an offer for a similar amount of free Riesling grapes to be dropped off. Will need to run this by the boss to see what she says.

I got California barbera grapes at GP yesterday. $42/36lbs. They were in great shape. That place was hopping.
being in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, just got our price list from our supplier - Amador County - barbera $78/lug, - petit sirah lodi premium $62/lug, malbec $59/lug, merlot $55/lug - grapes will be in 1st or second week of october

being in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, just got our price list from our supplier - Amador County - barbera $78/lug, - petit sirah lodi premium $62/lug, malbec $59/lug, merlot $55/lug - grapes will be in 1st or second week of october
Is it typical for Amador Barbera to be so expensive? I live in Amador and I always think of it as the grape that everyone grows (and often has some trouble selling). Malbec here is a much rarer commodity so I would have thought that would be the pricy one.

That being said the Barbera from Amador is worth it -it does superb out here.

Is it typical for Amador Barbera to be so expensive? I live in Amador and I always think of it as the grape that everyone grows (and often has some trouble selling). Malbec here is a much rarer commodity so I would have thought that would be the pricy one.

That being said the Barbera from Amador is worth it -it does superb out here.
transportation is a killer as well as cnd dollar - i agree the barbera from Amador is great
the grapes from El Dorado, the cab sav, pinot noir, sirah, merlot, etc... are at $98/lug
i've made some pinot from there a few years ago - WOW!

Don’t like what I’m seeing from Delta customers about this year’s deliveries. Begs a question - what if the grapes aren’t up to par (overripe, rotty, etc)? What do you do??

I think Fred is right. I'm concerned as well. I'm hoping Gino Pinto gets their Virginia location open.

I will say that the two field blends I made from WW grapes last year (Touriga/Tempranillo, Zin/Petite Sirah) are coming along very nicely. I tasted both on Friday night and was very pleased.

same here - I’ve been very happy with what I’ve gotten from them so far. Only 5 more days, then we’ll know.

Don’t like what I’m seeing from Delta customers about this year’s deliveries. Begs a question - what if the grapes aren’t up to par (overripe, rotty, etc)? What do you do??

Seein a few posts with concern over WW grapes but nothing specifically mentioned. What’s goin on with this? @Boatboy24 @mainshipfred

I meant to ask the same question, I can't seem to find anything real derogatory either.
Jim said something about reviews online right? Or over the ETA? Or a concerning email?

just curious. Trying to connect the dots but cannot.

(sidenote - think that’s kinda cool you can read feedback posts and know what to expect. I hate blindly ordering and just hoping for the best. Unfortunately you can’t wait till reviews are in before making a decision)

Latest posts

Back