2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s only Feb 29th, I know... And, Spring grapes are a big deal too, I get it. But, I’m getting antsy for Fall 2020 grapes from the West Coast.

Not sure what I’ll put into the mix this year. So far, I’ve made:

A Petite Sirah and a PS- Zin blend
A three grape meritage.
An OVZ
A Cab-Syrah field blend.

Feeling the need for a something extra for my fifth year of wine from grapes. Lucky I have 5-6 months to think about it.

I could possibly have a source for a ton of Tannat if I act fast enough but it's to much for me alone. Tannat is a big, bold high tannic wine that does well in Virginia even though there is not a lot extra planted. Most vineyards keep it for themselves. The cost by the ton was under a dollar per pound.

I could possibly have a source for a ton of Tannat if I act fast enough but it's to much for me alone. Tannat is a big, bold high tannic wine that does well in Virginia even though there is not a lot extra planted. Most vineyards keep it for themselves. The cost by the ton was under a dollar per pound.

I read up on the flavor profile - sounds like its right in my wheelhouse of wines - plum, licorice, dark chocolate, smoke... all good.

High acid, high tannin - kinda like a petite sirah.

I will need to sample a Virginia tannat wine to know for sure. Recommend any in particular?

My first Virginia Tannat was 2019. At crush it had a pH of 3.39 and 24 brix. I made no adjustments at crush and post MLF is 3.45. As far as buying a VA Tannat you will probably have to order it from a winery. I can recommend Effingham Manor 2017, Chrysalis 2016 but although a bit pricey the 2008 is fabulous and although I never had the Horton 2016 all their other wines are very good and they are the most reasonably priced. If you just wanted to get a general sense of the wine I would imagine a Cali or French would be easier to find.

My first Virginia Tannat was 2019. At crush it had a pH of 3.39 and 24 brix. I made no adjustments at crush and post MLF is 3.45. As far as buying a VA Tannat you will probably have to order it from a winery. I can recommend Effingham Manor 2017, Chrysalis 2016 but although a bit pricey the 2008 is fabulous and although I never had the Horton 2016 all their other wines are very good and they are the most reasonably priced. If you just wanted to get a general sense of the wine I would imagine a Cali or French would be easier to find.

Okay. I looked online with the People’s Republic Wine and Spirits Store in PA... nothing in stock anywhere near me.

A related question... What makes the most reliably good field blended wine?

I ask because I did the 50-50 Cab-Syrah field blend last year and it was flawlessly easy and shows promise to be a fantastic wine. I'm reading up on how some winemakers in Virginia do a field blend of Tannat, Malbec and Cab Franc. That's very interesting to me.

Field blending takes some guesswork. I have done it the past two Chilean season, and last year California season. I try to stick with things that, looking at the taste profiles seem like they might go well together. Cab Sauv, Merlot, Zinfandel, Sryah, Malbec are some I think you can blend together and get a good tasting outcome. I often will do equal parts of all. I am thinking this year Chilean to do 2 Merlot, 1 Cab Sauv, 1 Sangiovase, sort of a Super Tuscan. I may swap the Merlot and Cab Sauv.

Last edited:
Field blending takes some guesswork. I have done it the past two Chilean season, and last year California season. I try to stick with things that, looking at the taste profiles seem like they might go well together. Cab Sauv, Merlot, Zinfandel, Sryah, Malbec are some I think you can blend together and get a good tasting outcome. I often will do equal parts of all. I am thinking this year Chilean to do 2 Merlot, 1 Cab Sauv, 1 Sangiovase, sort of a Super Tuscan. I may swap the Merlot and Cab Sauv.

I was actually thinking of a California Tuscan style wine, too. Maybe in a 2 Sangio, 1 merlot, 2 Cab, combo.

My ‘17 Tuscan field blend was:
4 lugs Sangiovese
2 cab
2 merlot

Not much insight to offer though. Was my 1st larger all-grape batch workin solo. Fruit wasnt great. Sangio was super light too. And I made a lot of mistakes. Learned a lot tho. I didn’t adjust the must. Stuck around 1.003. Killed myself trying to restart. Never got it below 1.000. Heavy hand on tartaric. Overdid the k-bicarb.
Still in bulk. One day I might try something. Or maybe age will do it for me.
not very ideal conditions for a noob. Started off behind the 8ball.
I’d like another shot at a Tuscan one day. With healthy fruit. And I’d also use less sangio.

It’s only Feb 29th, I know... And, Spring grapes are a big deal too, I get it. But, I’m getting antsy for Fall 2020 grapes from the West Coast.

Not sure what I’ll put into the mix this year. So far, I’ve made:

A Petite Sirah and a PS- Zin blend
A three grape meritage.
An OVZ
A Cab-Syrah field blend.

Feeling the need for a something extra for my fifth year of wine from grapes. Lucky I have 5-6 months to think about it.
Equally as important is yeast selection. I feel like a gardner with the seed catalog. Looking through flavors and profile charts. Can easily kill a Saturday afternoon.

Equally as important is yeast selection. I feel like a gardner with the seed catalog. Looking through flavors and profile charts. Can easily kill a Saturday afternoon.
By golly, that is the truth. So many years, so many choices. I am thinking BM45 or bm4x4 for my mixture (Merlot, cab sauv, and sangiovese)

So much in the world has gone sideways, I'm really hoping to have access to decent grapes this year (that's not coming from anywhere other than my own paranoia). We're into the summer now and it's time to downshift on my kit wine making... I have a SLM, a Three Moons Cab, a Forza and two Luna Bianca's all in progress right now, and just bottled two other batches of kit wine. So, everything that goes into the wine fund from now until September will be dedicated to wine-from-grapes. If I'm doing my math right, that will be enough for 15-20 gallons of finished wine, depending on quality.

I'm still undecided as to what I want to do, except:

a. A field blend was very easy last year. So, a California "Super Tuscan" blend of Sangio, Cab and Merlot, holds a lot of appeal for me - simplifies yeast and MLB selections, too.
b. Doing a single varietal, or two singles, is also appealing but there is added expense.....

Latest posts

Back