2020 Fall Grape Season Coming Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll be getting most of my grapes from my commercial friend. He has 4 tractor trailer loads coming from Cali and Washington. They are a bit more expensive but I know they were picked only a few days prior and he has better control over the numbers than I do. I'll still be getting some Zin from WW though so I can catch up with everyone.

Is he always getting that much from the West Coast, or is this another bad year in VA with all the rain?

Put my order in with WW.

in addition to the Super Tuscan blend, I’m going to do 4 lugs of Malbec. Almost 1/4 ton of grapes - more than I’veever done. Funny - Mrs Mann didn’t even bat an eye.

I gotta get my supplies in order. Going to use D254 on the Super. Still thinking about the Malbec. And probably Beta for an MLB.

Put my order in with WW.

in addition to the Super Tuscan blend, I’m going to do 4 lugs of Malbec. Almost 1/4 ton of grapes - more than I’veever done. Funny - Mrs Mann didn’t even bat an eye.

I gotta get my supplies in order. Going to use D254 on the Super. Still thinking about the Malbec. And probably Beta for an MLB.

Dropping mine in the mailbox this morning. 15 lugs for me this year, which is also the most I've done (at once, at least). My MoreWine cart is full - just need to review once more before sending that in.

FWIW, I used D254 on my last Malbec (a California). Using BM4X4 for the ST.

Cabernet Sauvignon from Rutherford Bench of Napa Valley. $3.29/lb

Yep. actually Napa Valley. For home winemakers.
First time ever seeing this personally. There’s always alot of AVA’s made available but I have never seen a true blue Napa Valley option, ever. They’ll often find clever ways to insert a “Napa” reference in descriptions- but never offering actual napa grapes, until now.

Seemed noteworthy enough to mention. BD8CA8E6-5868-410E-B23E-72522E3ED38D.jpeg

Cabernet Sauvignon from Rutherford Bench of Napa Valley. $3.29/lb

Yep. actually Napa Valley. For home winemakers.
First time ever seeing this personally. There’s always alot of AVA’s made available but I have never seen a true blue Napa Valley option, ever. They’ll often find clever ways to insert a “Napa” reference in descriptions- but never offering actual napa grapes, until now.

Seemed noteworthy enough to mention. View attachment 65532

Where from, Andrew?

Ouch, you got me good! :)
Ok. Ok. Bad jokes rightly deserve some patronizing 😁

I dunno, AJ. That looks like 36lbs for $3.29 to me. How many dozen lugs did you order? :D
Lol yeah it’s a funky order form UI. I added 8 them to my cart just to quickly see a total. Minimum 36 lugs needed for a purchase!? That’s how they get ya!

In all seriousness I’d love to make these grapes at some point. It’s just such a huge leap from the other already pricey Premium grapes. From highest $2.09/lb to $3.29!
I think I’m gonna go for the Lake County Red Hills cab tho.
On the phone last week I was asking about wash st and lake county and the guy didn’t leave any room for debate. Said the LC grapes are consistently incredible and he sold me! probably pullin the trigger tomorrow.

I think I'm skipping making any wine for 2020. I made a huge amount last year, and I'm already short on space to store it before I've even bottled it all.
We also harvested our own Muscat earlier this week, but only got about 120 lb of grapes, last year I got about triple that. So we decided just to preserve the juice and make some jellies and like. We also froze a whole bunch of them in small snack bags for the kids lunches at school.
I'm still making a batch of beer every month or so, and my garden and hot sauces are keeping me busy too.
At least I got to try out my newly electrified grape crusher, worked well.

I got a confirmation email from Jim, but no time. Lucky you! I'll be there around 10 regardless. :i

Also had to place a second order with MoreWine - just realized I forgot the Lallzyme and OptiRed. :slp

A little over a week from pickup day and I'm starting to get giddy. Following that usually comes the 'oh sh*7! I'm not ready!' moment. All of my supplies have arrived, but I remembered that I need another Brute this year - Home Depot trip this weekend and time to finish organizing the winery. Can't wait.

Who is going to be at the Washington Winemakers pickup next weekend? I know we have @mainshipfred, @jgmann67, @Cynewulf, and (I think) @ceeaton. Anyone else?

A little over a week from pickup day and I'm starting to get giddy. Following that usually comes the 'oh sh*7! I'm not ready!' moment. All of my supplies have arrived, but I remembered that I need another Brute this year - Home Depot trip this weekend and time to finish organizing the winery. Can't wait.

Who is going to be at the Washington Winemakers pickup next weekend? I know we have @mainshipfred, @jgmann67, @Cynewulf, and (I think) @ceeaton. Anyone else?

I have an extra brute laying around, BBJ. And, giddy begins to describe it. My supplies arrive tomorrow. Need to clean and prep, get some more blocks for the press.

I think I am near the end of the pickup queue. Got my order in on Monday, finally made up my mind. Just juice buckets, but I plan on watching the crusher / destemmer so I know how it will work for later.
I think I have everything, still have extra fermaid coming. And have new 12 liter demijohns.

I think I am near the end of the pickup queue. Got my order in on Monday, finally made up my mind. Just juice buckets, but I plan on watching the crusher / destemmer so I know how it will work for later.
I think I have everything, still have extra fermaid coming. And have new 12 liter demijohns.

Unless your crushing I think they are flexible. Most of us are planning on being there around 10, sure would be nice to meet you. I placed my order on Sunday and still don't have a pick up time. Jim and Eric do you want to carpool?

Latest posts

Back