2020 Chilean Grape Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any experience with Chilean Syrah or Malbec (or a blend)? I’ve been wanting to make a Syrah so if the Carménère can be challenging maybe this is the time to do so.
My first wine from juice buckets was syrah and sangiovese... I blended 66% 33% both ways....the 66 syrah 33 sangiovese was really good and I'll be doing it with grapes when available

Do you know if that place in Elizabeth is getting grapes from south America?

Pretty sure that joint only sells the Regina juice in the fall. And no grapes. The only other places selling Regina juice around here are Procacci Bros in Philly and another place in NY state. Assuming they’re supplied from one of them and neither of which sell spring harvest.

2020 Spring plan:

22 half lugs Malbec
4 half lugs Petite Verdot
Bucket of Cab Franc
Bucket of Cab Sauv

Pressing off 7-8 gallons right away for a Malbec Rosè. And looking for at least 20gal of Malbec single varietal.

Freezing:
Cab Franc bucket
Cab Sauv bucket
PV lugs (hope my freezer can fit it all!)

After Malbec pressed
Malbec skins - PV lug - franc bucket
Malbec skins - PV lug - cab sauv bucket
*combining later likely

Targets:
20gal+ Malbec
6gal+ Malbec rosè
16gal+ franc/sauv/PV

I feel good about this. (Not calculating price. I cover just my ears and hand her my card at pickup)

2020 Spring plan:

22 half lugs Malbec
Bucket of Cab Franc
Bucket of Cab Sauv

Pressing off 7-8 gallons right away for a Malbec Rosè. And looking for at least 20gal of Malbec single varietal.

Freezing:
Cab Franc bucket
Cab Sauv bucket

After Malbec pressed
*combining later likely

Targets:
20gal+ Malbec
6gal+ Malbec rosè
16gal+ franc/sauv/PV

I feel good about this. (Not calculating price. I cover just my ears and hand her my card at pickup)

That's a big spring order. How close are you to Gino Pinto since my grapes will probably be coming in before yours.

2020 Spring plan:

22 half lugs Malbec
Bucket of Cab Franc
Bucket of Cab Sauv

Freezing:
Cab Franc bucket
Cab Sauv bucket

After Malbec pressed
*combining later likely

Targets:
20gal+ Malbec
6gal+ Malbec rosè
16gal+ franc/sauv/PV

Why are you freezing?

I plan on trying a 50% Cab and %0% Carmenere in May. I want to try something different. Las year I made 100% Malbec and was very happy with it.

That's a big spring order. How close are you to Gino Pinto since my grapes will probably be coming in before yours.

Close enough to come meet up!
(Less than an hour away)

Why are you freezing?

I’ll be picking all up at the same time likely. Freezing so I can wait till the main Malbec batch is pressed to use the active skins in with the juice/PV batches.

I did this in ‘18 with 300lbs worth of skins into one juice bucket. It was damn near sludge! But ended up with a very delicious wine.

I have 20 half lugs of malbec on order from Gino Pinto and will probably get to juice pails of some white I haven't decided what kind yet they told me the chilean will be in first week of May.

Just heard from CFP winemakers that As of now the Chilean grapes are still supposed to arrive on schedule in mid-May. Hope this holds true!

Latest posts

Back