2020 Chilean Grape Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any experience with Chilean Syrah or Malbec (or a blend)? I’ve been wanting to make a Syrah so if the Carménère can be challenging maybe this is the time to do so.

Anyone have any experience with Chilean Syrah or Malbec (or a blend)? I’ve been wanting to make a Syrah so if the Carménère can be challenging maybe this is the time to do so.

I'm not sure the Carmenere is challenging as much as it's a different flavor profile. You might just want to read up on what the different yeasts offer. Can't help you with the Syrah or Malbec though.

I actually think the Chilean grapes are a lot less challenging for us. Because really, what’s the most complicated aspect with grapes? I’d say acid adjustments—making the right decisions and dosing properly and whatnot.
But the Chilean fruit so far for me has been ideal. 2018 Malbec was 3.3ph/24.5brix and my 2017 cab was 3.5ph and around 24brix. And healthy fruit overall.
There was some discussion about so2 pads/gas from shipping and potentially causing issues for mlf for some people. But all mine went fine with co-inoculations. I tested the Malbec at crush. It was something like 15ppm. So for all intents and purposes- ideal conditions across the board.

So in other words- Fred is correct!
Multiple options, direct contact with the vineyard, often known Brix and ph, and at a FRACTION of the cost! Not too bad.
But yeah it’s def a gamble for us. Especially in the fall with multiple blind options per varietal. (This aspect is what triggers my Brehms intrigue). Gotta go with our prior experiences and due diligence since we really don’t get specific info. Just country/AVA, varietal, and price. For spring it’s Chilean at ~$1.50/lb. and South African at ~$2.15/lb. (other Spring options aren’t posted yet- but I believe they all sell the same stuff)
But as we know-higher price doesn’t always = higher quality. For optimal fruit I’ve had more success with Chilean than Cali in my limited experience. Chilean fruit has been gorgeous for me. And they have a unique quality containing this stuff called ‘acid’ too[emoji6]. My previous Chileans:
Cab sauv grapes
Cab/merlot juice with cab skins
Malbec grapes
Syrah juice with Malbec skins

For Cali fruit I’ve paid from $1.00/lb to as high as $2.00/lb. —Blindly buying $70 lugs & hoping for the best. Just the way it is. (Would love to drop a nut on those $3.50/lb Sonoma cab they offer one day!)
Unless ya do larger volumes and get crafty by cutting a deal straight from the suppliers like @Johnd did last year, we pretty much never know information beforehand. Nevertheless, I’m hopeful those Chileans will keep the good times rollin again this year.

Heres all of the given info from my Chilean grape source
https://ginopinto.com/wine-grapes-juice/chilean-grape-regions/
And South African
https://ginopinto.com/south-african-grape-region/
And for reference- here’s the menus from 2 different suppliers. (Keystone doesn’t have previous spring grapes online anymore)View attachment 59005View attachment 59006
So in other words- Fred is correct!
Multiple options, direct contact with the vineyard, often known Brix and ph, and at a FRACTION of the cost! Not too bad.
But yeah it’s def a gamble for us. Especially in the fall with multiple blind options per varietal. (This aspect is what triggers my Brehms intrigue). Gotta go with our prior experiences and due diligence since we really don’t get specific info. Just country/AVA, varietal, and price. For spring it’s Chilean at ~$1.50/lb. and South African at ~$2.15/lb. (other Spring options aren’t posted yet- but I believe they all sell the same stuff)
But as we know-higher price doesn’t always = higher quality. For optimal fruit I’ve had more success with Chilean than Cali in my limited experience. Chilean fruit has been gorgeous for me. And they have a unique quality containing this stuff called ‘acid’ too[emoji6]. My previous Chileans:
Cab sauv grapes
Cab/merlot juice with cab skins
Malbec grapes
Syrah juice with Malbec skins

For Cali fruit I’ve paid from $1.00/lb to as high as $2.00/lb. —Blindly buying $70 lugs & hoping for the best. Just the way it is. (Would love to drop a nut on those $3.50/lb Sonoma cab they offer one day!)
Unless ya do larger volumes and get crafty by cutting a deal straight from the suppliers like @Johnd did last year, we pretty much never know information beforehand. Nevertheless, I’m hopeful those Chileans will keep the good times rollin again this year.

Heres all of the given info from my Chilean grape source
https://ginopinto.com/wine-grapes-juice/chilean-grape-regions/
And South African
https://ginopinto.com/south-african-grape-region/
And for reference- here’s the menus from 2 different suppliers. (Keystone doesn’t have previous spring grapes online anymore)View attachment 59005View attachment 59006

I really have to visit Gino Pinto. I want to make a Malbec so bad and the price of the juice is not bad at all.

Well. After much thought I decided that I really want to make a Syrah so pulled the trigger on 108# of that today. Looking forward to it!

Nice! I’m pretty sure your supplier imports the same Curico Chilean fruit as mine. I remember that winemaking YT channel did Chileans w/ the same lugs and labels. He’s from Pittsburgh & I doubt there’s a plethora of Pittsburg Chilean options. He’s on the forum but forget his username.
Never got Syrah grapes but I did one from juice with active Malbec skins and I’m extremely pleased with it. We’ve been mulling our options as well and will likely do a Malbec again.

Nice! I’m pretty sure your supplier imports the same Curico Chilean fruit as mine. I remember that winemaking YT channel did Chileans w/ the same lugs and labels. He’s from Pittsburgh & I doubt there’s a plethora of Pittsburg Chilean options. He’s on the forum but forget his username.
Never got Syrah grapes but I did one from juice with active Malbec skins and I’m extremely pleased with it. We’ve been mulling our options as well and will likely do a Malbec again.

I had a commercial Chilean Malbec tonight for dinner....and it almost....almost...changed my mind! However, I’ve had an itch to make a Syrah for awhile now and it was just time to scratch it. Will probably do a Malbec next year.

Good choice.

I've made a Syrah from local grapes the last 3 years. It's a deep, dark, tannic, interesting wine. Just my opinion, it takes a long time to mature and worth the wait.

Good choice.

I've made a Syrah from local grapes the last 3 years. It's a deep, dark, tannic, interesting wine. Just my opinion, it takes a long time to mature and worth the wait.

I’ve got a stockpile of about 4-5 years of wine ahead of it which is one of the reasons I went that direction. Really want something tannic that will age well.

I really have to visit Gino Pinto. I want to make a Malbec so bad and the price of the juice is not bad at all.[/QUOTE
Hello Mario and all,
Does anyone of you know a supplier of Chilean grapes in California? Thanks

Well I bit the bullet and went S. African even though the cost is considerably more. I talked to Gino Pinto's Mike at the Eastern Winery Expo and he told me this year's harvest season was again very dry. Ordered 8 lugs each of Cab and Syrah. Supposed to be in mid April.

Nice. Will that be a field blend or 2 varietals?

Well I bit the bullet and went S. African even though the cost is considerably more. I talked to Gino Pinto's Mike at the Eastern Winery Expo and he told me this year's harvest season was again very dry. Ordered 8 lugs each of Cab and Syrah. Supposed to be in mid April.

Did You mean Chilean harvest had the dry season or the SA harvest?

Last edited:
South African, he didn't have any information on the Chilean yet.

Hoping our spring grape season isn’t cancelled this year. Haven’t looked into any information regarding it yet. (I’m assuming we are all in the same boat. Buyers, suppliers, distributors) Going to place an order soon and hope for the best.

This was from Gino Pinto's, similar info about South African.

March 19, 2020

To Our Loyal Customers & Winemakers:

Gino Pinto Inc. has been closely monitoring the current situation related to the corona virus COVID- 19 outbreak. During this time, our main priority is to remain committed to the health and safety of our customers and staff.

We are participating in the guidelines provided by the Centers for the Disease Control (CDC), Occupations Safety and Health Association (OSHA) and our State and Local Health Departments and implementing extra precautionary methods to maintain a safe environment.

As of right now, COVID-19 has not affected the South African or Chilean wine grape harvest. We are still on track to receive grapes and juice in March, April & May and will continue to take orders. We are continuously evaluating the situation and are making every effort to manage this process safely and proactively and will make any modifications necessary.

We value open communication with our customers, please feel free to call us at 609-561-8199 or email at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.

As a small business, we appreciate your support and we sincerely wish good health for you and your families during these uncertain times.

Sincerely,

Gino Pinto, Inc

Latest posts

Back