2020 Blueberry harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I harvested my blueberries mid summer and noticed the pH was much lower than previous years. This year was 3.1after mashing , previous years the pH was in the 4.2 to 4.6 range. Instead of adding Acid Blend this year,I adjusted pH up with a combination of CaCO3 and Patassium Bicarbonate. Anyone care to explain the reason? I assume it has to do with growing season, but what are the drivers?

I harvested my blueberries mid summer and noticed the pH was much lower than previous years. This year was 3.1after mashing , previous years the pH was in the 4.2 to 4.6 range. Instead of adding Acid Blend this year,I adjusted pH up with a combination of CaCO3 and Patassium Bicarbonate. Anyone care to explain the reason? I assume it has to do with growing season, but what are the drivers?
I cannot answer the question about the drivers, but I can say that I’m very surprised at the pH readings from years past. I’ve never heard of blueberries with such a high pH as in the 4’s, 3.1 is what I’d consider to be more the norm The riper grapes get, the higher the BRIX and pH climb, and I’m sure bb’s are the same. What was the BRIX this year compared to years past?

I think you may have unwittingly Provided me the reason. In previous years, we tended to harvest late in the season. This year we were very focused on harvesting mid season. With regard to Brix. We do not test, we live about an hour from the source and the owner calls us and tells us the berries are ready. This year we told him we wanted mid season v late season.
thanks Johnd!!
PS. We need to set a time and place to meet and taste some wine. I still want to compare our strawberry wines, if you have any left. Let me know if
You have some time in the
Coming month.

I'll second what Johnd says. I have about 30 blueberry plants and they are the only ones used for my blueberry wine. Never had any pH come in over 3.5. Normally mine are at around 3.2 or lower. I pick only fully ripe berries and end up picking blueberries every 2-3 days from Early June until the end of July here in Northwest Arkansas.

Back