2019 Lodi Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often do you sample, sulfite and top up once in barrel? I’m assuming ambient temp and humidity influence this?

I’m looking to up my game and do a barrel for the first time next year. Any advice/pointers is appreciated.

How often do you sample, sulfite and top up once in barrel? I’m assuming ambient temp and humidity influence this?

I’m looking to up my game and do a barrel for the first time next year. Any advice/pointers is appreciated.

You’re correct, it’ll depend a lot upon your storage environment. Mine is in 55F and 70% RH year round, I try to top / sulfite monthly. Tasting is much less frequent.

You’re correct, it’ll depend a lot upon your storage environment. Mine is in 55F and 70% RH year round, I try to top / sulfite monthly. Tasting is much less frequent.
You can tip that carboy just before sulfiting, works like a charm every time!

Seriously, just read through this thread, sounds like a lot of fun and very educational. Kudos @Johnd!

Enough procrastinating already..... This Sunday is the day for the '19 blend, will be getting together with @Keith5 to do some barrel prepping, wine tasting, blending trials / tasting, and ultimately get the '19 blend into the new 60 gallon barrel. Once those 10 carboys are empty, we'll unload the '17 wine from the 30 gallon barrel to sit a bit before bottling. The 30 gallon barrel, which I'm sure is neutral by now, will be loaded with some sort of TBD '19 blend as well. Should be a good day, will try to take / post some pics of our escapade......

Enough procrastinating already..... This Sunday is the day for the '19 blend, will be getting together with @Keith5 to do some barrel prepping, wine tasting, blending trials / tasting, and ultimately get the '19 blend into the new 60 gallon barrel. Once those 10 carboys are empty, we'll unload the '17 wine from the 30 gallon barrel to sit a bit before bottling. The 30 gallon barrel, which I'm sure is neutral by now, will be loaded with some sort of TBD '19 blend as well. Should be a good day, will try to take / post some pics of our escapade......

Got to admit I procrastinate all the time when it comes to blending, especially a Meritage and using so many wines. It should be fun but my taster just doesn't know what a wine needs to improve or what another will offer. Then sometimes I'll do bench trials with the individual wines and make adjustments before blending. So for me, more often then not, it's a crap shoot because I'm usually too drunk to make a proper decision. Hope yours goes more smoothly and you have a better taster. Let us know what your percentages are.

Got to admit I procrastinate all the time when it comes to blending, especially a Meritage and using so many wines. It should be fun but my taster just doesn't know what a wine needs to improve or what another will offer. Then sometimes I'll do bench trials with the individual wines and make adjustments before blending. So for me, more often then not, it's a crap shoot because I'm usually too drunk to make a proper decision. Hope yours goes more smoothly and you have a better taster. Let us know what your percentages are.

You're not alone, my taste buds go numb with enjoyment a few sips into the whole ordeal. I probably never come out with the best possible blend, but have a hell of a time trying to figure out what it is..................

Everything looks to be in pretty good order, really looks good, and smells even better, couldn’t believe the smell once I started cutting through the shrink wrap.

This is my first chateau ferre style barrel, which has 22 mm staves and head as opposed to 25 mm. I believe I read that the crossbar on the heads provides a little stability insurance to the thinner heads. They are preferred for use with Bordeaux style blends, allow a bit more microx, and soften tannic notes in those blends effectively, in addition to their wonderful oaky taste additions. Can’t wait to get it filled up tomorrow for a long sit.

64A2BEE1-126E-413F-B892-DD41D942DC9A.jpeg 2D83B65D-540A-4840-9337-ECCD0C618835.jpeg

Yea, the barrel looks very nice, it should help make some good wine. Your weather doesn't look bad either, meanwhile it's snowing out here.

Yea, the barrel looks very nice, it should help make some good wine. Your weather doesn't look bad either, meanwhile it's snowing out here.

funny how that weather thing is.......we were under tornado / high wind / hail warnings at 8 AM this morning, and the weather was very rough. By the afternoon, things have really shaped up!!

Latest posts

Back