2019 Lodi Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted earlier that you get your best deals when you're not looking. Well here is what Craigslist got me today. I really thought the hydraulic one was a foil spinner. The guys father was an engineer and he fabricated the hydraulic corker. I tried to take a video but I just got a new PC with updated software and haven't learned how to use it yet.
got these, a large magnetic stirrer, a small pump and a dozen 50 ml flasks for $130.00.

Corkers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get as good a deal as I thought. The hydraulic one doesn't quite work, Instead of having the jaws to squeeze the cork it sends the cork through a cone. The problem is when pushing the cork through the cone it compresses the cork and once inserted is only about an inch in length. It must have been a prototype that didn't make it to the finish line. Not giving up on it though since it has a good start.
Don't mean to steal you thread John but the reference seemed appropriate.

Didn't get as good a deal as I thought. The hydraulic one doesn't quite work, Instead of having the jaws to squeeze the cork it sends the cork through a cone. The problem is when pushing the cork through the cone it compresses the cork and once inserted is only about an inch in length. It must have been a prototype that didn't make it to the finish line. Not giving up on it though since it has a good start.
Don't mean to steal you thread John but the reference seemed appropriate.

No worries Fred, I'm very forgiving and don't have thread envy.............

I went to visit family in San Francisco this past weekend and we planned to go to Sonoma/Healdsburg, but the fires had spread and mass evacuations from those areas, into Napa, all the way out to the coast, were ongoing, so we went south to Monterey. I hope NorCal is safe. I think he lives a little north of Sonoma, which was in the fire and evacuation zones. Not good.

Getting ready for a big wine move in the next month or so. The Alain Fouquet Prestige Margaux Chateau Ferre MT+ barrel showed up today........out of the blue. No biggie, happened to be in the truck today. Gonna run it home shortly, it’s 35 here today and I’d like to get it into a more temperate environment.

Haven’t run a chromo on the 2019 wines yet, but I’m betting that they’re already across the finish line. Like to get the barrel loaded up in December, free up carboys to unload the 2017 wine barrel and get it bottled.

4BCFCB43-4AB7-4534-91D3-CC6258A853EC.jpeg

I hate it when brand new French wine barrels show up "out of the blue"........ LOL

Was 31 this AM in San Antonio. Definitely cold for this part of the country especially this time of year.

I hate it when brand new French wine barrels show up "out of the blue"........ LOL

Was 31 this AM in San Antonio. Definitely cold for this part of the country especially this time of year.

Hadn't heard from them since making payment. In the past, they've contacted me to let me know it had been sent, and I also hear from the shipper to arrange both delivery and payment. Nothing at all this year, guess the shipper will just bill me, who knows.........

Front just passed through last night, 72 F outside when I went to bed, 37 F when I got up, and it dropped a bit more to 35 F, cloudy and very windy. Sun just came out, it's feeling a bit better, supposed to get down to the upper 20's tonight. Lows up at my property supposed to be 21 F, hope my cold weather preps were sufficient up there when I left on Sunday............... Don't get me wrong, I hate hot weather, I'm glad old man winter is paying us a visit, summer was brutal and long this year.

I see a lot of commercial wines that specify Aged in "25%" new barrels / Aged in 50% new barrels / etc... Will you plan to keep some out of the barrel for blended oaking options?

It was down to about 20* here this morning in Nashville with an inch of snow! Stay warm! As we get into Dec/Jan I'll move any wines I have out to the cold-azz-dungeon-room for cold stabilizing. One day I'll insulate that room and add a cool-bot system to keep it @ 55* year round.

Cheers,
johann

I see a lot of commercial wines that specify Aged in "25%" new barrels / Aged in 50% new barrels / etc... Will you plan to keep some out of the barrel for blended oaking options?

It was down to about 20* here this morning in Nashville with an inch of snow! Stay warm! As we get into Dec/Jan I'll move any wines I have out to the cold-azz-dungeon-room for cold stabilizing. One day I'll insulate that room and add a cool-bot system to keep it @ 55* year round.

Cheers,
johann

I plan to keep the 60 filled for 2 years, and I'll have enough to also fill the 30 that I'll be removing 2017 wine from. It wasn't my plan to do this, but since I have enough wine, why not. I'm pretty much assuming that the 2017 St. Martin barrel will be neutral, but still give up microx and concentration, and then I'll see what blending brings in 2021.........

What prevents the first fill wine from "over oaking"? since it's in there for 2 years. Does it mellow over that period of time or is it just highly oaked? Not questioning your practice at all, just highly curious.

And the wine coming out of the 30 gallon barrel, what is it's level of oakiness?

Very interested in the secrets of the oak barrel, and because I used 100% of new oak barrel level of stavin beans in my Primitivo in 2018 and it was clearly too much at bottling (hoping time mellows it some).

What prevents the first fill wine from "over oaking"? since it's in there for 2 years. Does it mellow over that period of time or is it just highly oaked? Not questioning your practice at all, just highly curious.

And the wine coming out of the 30 gallon barrel, what is it's level of oakiness?

Very interested in the secrets of the oak barrel, and because I used 100% of new oak barrel level of stavin beans in my Primitivo in 2018 and it was clearly too much at bottling (hoping time mellows it some).

Nothing really prevents it from too much oak, other than limiting time in the barrel. I did choose french oak in M+ toast in the hopes that I could get a couple years in the barrel. Currently, the wine in the 30 doesn't taste overly oaky, and it's nearing the two year point, think it went in in December / January of 17 / 18. Had it gotten to the point of slightly more oak than desired, it would have been pulled. Oak does seem to fall back a smidge once bottled, so it's not too scary to get a little over. The bigger barrels with a lower wine / oak ratio seem to be more forgiving than I recall the 6 and 12 gallon barrels I used to use, for the same reason. The key is tasting!!

6 months bottle aging significantly cuts the oak back noticeably from my perspective. It works wonders to my wines.

Not easy to keep wines bottled for 6 months however!

Let's see this barrel unwrapped!

LOL!! I'm dying to unwrap it as well, it's my first Chateau Ferre style barrel. Just a tad concerned that unwrapping it now will expose it to pretty low humidity in my home, and don't want it to dry out / shrink before it is loaded with wine. It's shrink wrapped, covered in cardboard, and shrink wrapped again, kinda feel like that helps moderate the exposure to dry conditions. I promise to post a pic when it gets unwrapped!

I agree with leaving it wrapped, I was recently at a restaurant where they had stacks of 59gal barrels being used as a decoration, you could see a 1/4 inch gap between the hoop and the wood, the hoops would have fallen off if it wasn't for the hoop nails.

Latest posts

Back