2019 Lodi Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can learn a lot about a guy on this forum just by the pictures hanging on his wall........ :)

As I was posting it, I knew you’d comment about that very photo. One of our goofy Christmas photos from every Christmas.

You can learn a lot about a guy on this forum just by counting the fermenters in his living room!

And it’s all good....LOL. Keith said “Wait, we’re putting these in this room, like to stay? What’s your wife going to say?” My response, “She’ll say “Ooh, more wine, yayyy!!!!”

I want to see the stuck spoon.

LOL, it wasn't a spoon, it was a 3 foot piece of 1" x 2" mahogany left over from the wine room build. Took some big screwdrivers and some elbow grease to break it in half and get it out. It got sucked into the screw feed in the hopper and jammed the paddles when it reached them. The force actually rotated one of the crushing rubber rollers. Instead of the two crushing rubber rollers meshing together, they were hitting at their high points as they rotated, making a loud noise and causing the C/D to shake a lot. I just adjusted the rollers further apart so that they didn't hit, and we finished the last few lugs that way. It didn't crush the grapes as thoroughly as before, but it got us through the balance. I'm going to have to disassemble the machine and get the rollers properly adjusted and put it back together. It'll be a good opportunity to clean it really well and get it lubricated so it'll be ready to go next year.. Sorry, no pics of it wedged in there...........

Must was still, and at 64F last nite, still chilly from the cold ride from Cali. Gave it a little mixing to get the skins and yeast on top into the mix, and decided to hold off on MLB.

Woke this morning to mini caps and some barely visible signs of activity, so it got MLB this morning. Around 84 gallons, 2 packs VP41, 500 ml DI water, 2 packs ActiML, well mixed and split seven ways. Added dosages of Fermaid K and OptiMalo Plus, punched down / mixed it all in, and just like that, we’re off the starting line!

Gonna be shooting for a day in the upper 80’s or low 90’s, followed by a cool finish. I’ll be able to roll fermenters into the 55F wine room if needed. The smell of wine fermenting in October, love it!!

Obviously we are going to have to do a "stop work" on this process immediately. Winemaking Talk takes ISM (Integrated Safety Management) very seriously.

integrated.gif

The Winemaking Talk Four Commitments to safety, security:
  • We conduct our work safely and responsibly to achieve our mission.
  • We ensure a safe and healthful environment for workers, contractors, visitors, and other on-site personnel.
  • We protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public.
  • We do not compromise safety for personal, programmatic, or operational reasons.

The Winemaking Talk Five Functions of our safety, security process:
  1. Define the scope of work.
  2. Identify and analyze hazards associated with the work. Anticipate human errors and put defenses in place.
  3. Develop and implement hazard controls.
  4. Perform work within controls. Follow the plan. Be aware of any new hazards.
  5. Provide feedback and continuous improvement.
This process will stand down immediately due to safety concerns. A meeting with all stakeholders will take place next week in the Winemaking Talk meeting room. Time and date TBD.

Until then no one may enter the accident area for any reason........

Oh wait! I dreamt I was still working for the lab. Never mind folks. Carry on. But be safe out there!

LOL, it wasn't a spoon, it was a 3 foot piece of 1" x 2" mahogany left over from the wine room build. Took some big screwdrivers and some elbow grease to break it in half and get it out. It got sucked into the screw feed in the hopper and jammed the paddles when it reached them. The force actually rotated one of the crushing rubber rollers. Instead of the two crushing rubber rollers meshing together, they were hitting at their high points as they rotated, making a loud noise and causing the C/D to shake a lot. I just adjusted the rollers further apart so that they didn't hit, and we finished the last few lugs that way. It didn't crush the grapes as thoroughly as before, but it got us through the balance. I'm going to have to disassemble the machine and get the rollers properly adjusted and put it back together. It'll be a good opportunity to clean it really well and get it lubricated so it'll be ready to go next year.. Sorry, no pics of it wedged in there...........

Obviously we are going to have to do a "stop work" on this process immediately. Winemaking Talk takes ISM (Integrated Safety Management) very seriously.

integrated.gif

The Winemaking Talk Four Commitments to safety, security:
  • We conduct our work safely and responsibly to achieve our mission.
  • We ensure a safe and healthful environment for workers, contractors, visitors, and other on-site personnel.
  • We protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public.
  • We do not compromise safety for personal, programmatic, or operational reasons.

The Winemaking Talk Five Functions of our safety, security process:
  1. Define the scope of work.
  2. Identify and analyze hazards associated with the work. Anticipate human errors and put defenses in place.
  3. Develop and implement hazard controls.
  4. Perform work within controls. Follow the plan. Be aware of any new hazards.
  5. Provide feedback and continuous improvement.
This process will stand down immediately due to safety concerns. A meeting with all stakeholders will take place next week in the Winemaking Talk meeting room. Time and date TBD.

Until then no one may enter the accident area for any reason........

Oh wait! I dreamt I was still working for the lab. Never mind folks. Carry on. But be safe out there!

LOL, I actually tried to do a little pre crush safety lesson with my childhood buddy, explaining to him about making sure to load the hopper from the end away from the paddles, and not to get his hands in the hopper, not to get the push stick close to the paddles. He gave me that look that only an old friend can and asked if I thought he was f.....ing stupid, so I stood down. There wasn't much more than a sheepish grin from him when I hit the emergency stop button.........

Funny you should say that. When people ask me questions about construction and I don't know their background it's hard to know how much detail to go into. I don't want to belittle them but there's always that little trick or piece of information that could be very helpful.

know the feeling precisely!

LOL, I actually tried to do a little pre crush safety lesson with my childhood buddy, explaining to him about making sure to load the hopper from the end away from the paddles, and not to get his hands in the hopper, not to get the push stick close to the paddles. He gave me that look that only an old friend can and asked if I thought he was f.....ing stupid, so I stood down. There wasn't much more than a sheepish grin from him when I hit the emergency stop button.........

And the “I’m not angry, Just disappointed, look’ in response.

(Ok. Probably a little angry)

84 gallons of must is serious business, especially all at once. Very cool.

The mahogany mishap sounds like it added some unexpected tannin to the mix!

Please post up the post mortem of the crusher and what got broken and out of alignment. And if it's possible to line everything back up.

I'll look forward to the video, but YouTube is pretty easy.

One of my wine making friends is always advancing the grapes in the crusher with his hands. It makes me cringe, because there is likely more force than you expect and it could maim you in an instant. So glad it was your board and not your hand.

What does that mean, you were able to DL it? For the record, it's just a light gray long sleeve t-shirt............and I don't splash.

DL = Download

And I used to say the same thing about not splashing!

Last edited:
I have an iCloud account like any other Apple user. I clicked the link before you deleted it and my iCloud account page opened in Safari. I had the option to download to my computer so I did. I think I can upload to youtube and post the link if you would like.

I would always use youtube for a link posted on an open forum. I would only post sharable iCloud links to friends and family for security reasons.

I would always use youtube for a link posted on an open forum. I would only post sharable iCloud links to friends and family for security reasons.

That's kinda what I thought about that link also, that's why I deleted it. I assume you used some of your Super Moderator Super Powers to be able to see the link?........

Back