2019 Lodi Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! So do we meet at your place Monday pm to crush? I’ll call you tomorrow! Exciting times!

reefer truck will be in Sunday night.....

Will keep an eye out for it as it comes through NM.......

MistyWeakHound-mobile.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a nice batch! I might try to piggy-back off of a Colivata order within driving distance next year. How many lugs do you order for a 60 gallon batch? Watching this with anticipation :)

Cheers,
johann

Looks like it's going to be a nice batch! I might try to piggy-back off of a Colivata order within driving distance next year. How many lugs do you order for a 60 gallon batch? Watching this with anticipation :)

Cheers,
johann

My normal (conservative) calculations for ordering grapes are that 3 lugs (36 lbs) yields 10 gallons of must and 6 gallons of finished wine, so 30 lugs would be my ordering number. That would give me plenty of extra to bottle for topping up during the 1-2 year barreling time.

This year, I have some folks taking home some wine, after fermentation, it won't go into the barrel, plus a little extra to allow for adjusting blending percentages, so I have 1500 lbs. (42 lugs) ordered.

Well, showed up at Landry Vineyard at 7:30 this morning to find an empty truck dock. Bummer. Waiting to hear when the load will be in, and making the best of the time. Found a local greasy spoon, having chicken fried steak with white gravy, two eggs over medium, toast and a Diet Coke.......perfect!!!

Anxious to see what your numbers look like. Our Lodi was picked 2 weeks earlier and I wasn't particularly the brix.

We had a pretty good crush today, @Keith5 joined in along with a couple childhood friends, it really went smoothly......til the push stick got sucked into the paddles in the hopper, we got it solved for the time being. In all, we crushed 1500 lbs, 20 Cabs, 14 merlots, 4 Cab francs, and 4 petit Verdot. All of the fruit was excellent, small berries, clean clusters, no raisined fruit, really nice stuff.
9942635B-B398-4EDB-B4E0-D64B98EFEE35.jpeg
Numbers were pretty decent.

Cab 25 BRIX, 3.80 pH, 6.0 TA
Merlot 24 BRIX, 3.89 pH, 4.0 TA
Cab Franc 23 BRIX, 3.51 pH, 5.20 TA
Petit Verdot 24 BRIX, 3.8 pH, 4.2 TA

The BRIX numbers will go up by 1 I suspect, so we left that alone. We added 2 g/l tartaric to the merlot, and 1.5 g/l to the PV, will check pH tomorrow. Didn’t mess it’s the cab with a 6 TA, or the CF at 5,2 TA. Pitched two yeasts, BM 4x4 and D254, in different vessels. Later, when combined, hoping that the pH / TA adjustments, together with the lower pH PV will bring the blend into a good range. VP41 tomorrow nite.

All are resting comfortably in the sunroom, with the white carpet rolled up, I might add.

EC94200D-5D9E-4718-92C3-EC465E47214D.jpeg

Why does it say "Call 911"? :p

Don’t know for a fact, but I think it’s a note to the winery to call me as soon as it arrives. Sorta silly, I was there before the truck....

The other thought was that Col is for Colavita, and my order number was 911, by chance....

Edit: Just checked my invoice, the PO # is COL-911.....

You might want to roll out the red carpet for that cute bunch of seven hangry soldiers....

Cheers!
Johann

Back