2019 Harvest Journal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caps on all 4 fermenters are not what they were 48 hours ago, but they still re-form fairly quickly. Still, holding out until Sunday. Parents and at least one of my sisters will be here. Perhaps both and members of their families as well. So I'll have plenty of hands for pressing. Dad is bringing a batch of his "damn, I swear these came straight from Italy" meatballs and sauce. May lose a few bottles that day.

Looks like we’re running the same schedule. My Cab-Syrah was at 1.02 last night. I have off on Monday, so I might give the wine an additional day on the skins before pressing.

Every wine is different. 5 or 6 days ago, I racked both of these, added sulfite and Lysozyme. Can't believe how cloudy the Petite Manseng is.

IMG_1083.JPG

Picked up my three juice buckets today. Cabernet Sauvignon, Fricking Merlot, and Zinfandel from the Lodi area, I believe. True to form, the needed just a small amount of sugar and tartaric acid. Sg was 1.085 and pH was 3.77. I don't measure ta preferment, generally, unless I am going to make big changes to pH. My wife and I decided to make a big red blend, so into the bucket they went. I thought I had pulled out my 30 gallon bucket, but it was only a 20 gallon. Tomorrow it gets moved to the bigger bucket. Temp was still only 50 tonight, so it should be fine waiting. IMG_20191023_092706.jpegIMG_20191023_111618.jpeg

The 2019 crush and pressing is done. All equipment cleaned and put away. MLF on the reds started Monday and will stay that way until I sulfite them sometime in mid January which will give me time to bottle the 2018s to make room. There are 16 different wines with 2 varietals being both a red and Rose.

2019 Vintage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Did I count correctly? 13 different grape varieties and one fruit wine!?! Very impressive! And what is up with the Grenache in the front? Did u pull that off at the crush as a rose? We're they all grape or was some juice thrown in? I am very jealous right now! Your potential for a blending party is endless!

Wow! Did I count correctly? 13 different grape varieties and one fruit wine!?! Very impressive! And what is up with the Grenache in the front? Did u pull that off at the crush as a rose? We're they all grape or was some juice thrown in? I am very jealous right now! Your potential for a blending party is endless!

Thanks, yes they were all from grapes except the peach of course. The 3 gallon Grenache is a Rose as well as the Nebbiolo/Sangiovese and yes I'm looking forward to the blending.

Latest posts

Back