2019 Grape Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have much work to do when I return from OBX. A Rose, EM Bourbon Barrel Zin and 2 carboys of 2017's to blend and/or bottle. Also need to clean up the area after scrambling to move stuff when a pipe broke several weeks ago. Need to get off my butt and decide what I'm going to do with the 40L barrel I ordered too. I'm thinking it's going to be just two larger field blends this year.

Last nights Meritage blending really happened and I think it's a winner. Had 2 friends over to help. 24% Cab Sauv, 20% Merlot, 24% Petit Verdot, 9% Cab Franc, 7% Malbec and 16% Carmenere. Made 2 500ml bottles that will sit for 2 weeks before blending the entire batch. I'm going to call it "Neither Bank" since neither the Cab Sauv or the Merlot are the dominate varietal.

Meritage Blending.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last nights Meritage blending really happened and I think it's a winner. Had 2 friends over to help. 24% Cab Sauv, 20% Merlot, 24% Petit Verdot, 9% Cab Franc, 7% Malbec and 16% Carmenere. Made 2 500ml bottles that will sit for 2 weeks before blending the entire batch. I'm going to call it "Neither Bank" since neither the Cab Sauv or the Merlot are the dominate varietal.

Awesome! I'd name it "Touch All the Bases." :)

Wow! Note pads and everything! You guys went hardcore! Sorry I missed it.

Next up is the Touriga/Tempranillo and Petite Syrah/Syrah/OVZ blends with who knows what else, I'll try to give you more notice. Plus, not to worry, there will be a few bottles of "Neither Bank" with your name on them.

That is really nice to be able to sit down at the blending table, you might end up with a best of show. I've never had, and probably never will have, the patience to pull that off.

Question: Are all of these from your cellar? Or are some commercial wines you turn to when needed?

I've been topping off my first grape harvest (Merlot) with a commercial cab for the past year and I'm really liking it. And I know I should plan on saving some of the final product for next year... but, yeah, that's gonna be hard.

Greg my heart sank when I looked at the photos, that's a shame. Has this ever happened on the property before? Part of my day job is reviewing commercial property for flood exposure, and there are more and more cases these days of locations flooding that are not located in a recognized flood zone.

Hopefully everything will recover.

Question: Are all of these from your cellar? Or are some commercial wines you turn to when needed?

I've been topping off my first grape harvest (Merlot) with a commercial cab for the past year and I'm really liking it. And I know I should plan on saving some of the final product for next year... but, yeah, that's gonna be hard.

It's all from my cellar. I selected the grapes specifically for the Bordeaux blend.

Hope things have recovered and/or improved in ND since the last postings.

Went to Procacci Brother's today, place was rockin'. Got first round of grapes and juice of the fall season. 4 lugs "premium zin" for one batch and 1 lug of regular zin and 3 juice buckets of zin for another batch. Regina juice buckets are now a full 6 gallons. Grapes look good. Will be back next week to get some more grapes and juice buckets.

They had a cab/merlot blend in the barrel for tasting and the usual italian meats and cheeses to munch on.20190907_154256_1.jpg 20190907_154308_1.jpg 20190907_154325_1.jpg IMG_19991_1.jpg IMG_20011_1.jpg

Hope everyone's fall grape season is going well.

Ordered my 100lbs of Corot Nior and 100lbs of Noriet from Fulkerson Winery and will be picking them up on October 8th. Long drive but gonna drive up Monday and get a room. For crushed grapes you have to be there 8am Tuesday morning. Just want to try something different getting some hybrids from a Finger Lakes winery directly.

Edit- My lovely wife wanted to make the trip so we are going up Sunday and turning it into a mini-vacation. Already booked a hotel in Watkins Glen.

Last edited:
Hope things have recovered and/or improved in ND since the last postings.

Went to Procacci Brother's today, place was rockin'. Got first round of grapes and juice of the fall season. 4 lugs "premium zin" for one batch and 1 lug of regular zin and 3 juice buckets of zin for another batch. Regina juice buckets are now a full 6 gallons. Grapes look good. Will be back next week to get some more grapes and juice buckets.

They had a cab/merlot blend in the barrel for tasting and the usual italian meats and cheeses to munch on.View attachment 56286 View attachment 56287 View attachment 56288 View attachment 56289 View attachment 56290

Hope everyone's fall grape season is going well.

Welcome back stranger, missed seeing post from you. Happy fermenting!

Went and got 400lbs of Merlot yesterday, you-pick. Back-breaking work. Once again, reminded that I don't really want to own a vineyard. Need to wait a bit for the Petit Verdot to be ready. Swinging by the local brew shop to check on my Chardonnay connection. Also connected with a local winemaker who works and one of the custom crushes, and may be getting small odd-lots of leftover grapes from him. Busy!

Syphoned off the two zins today. Picked up two sangiovese buckets and put them on the premium skins, and one bucket of muscat on the regular zin skins for a quasi de?? red or rose muscato.

WIll be harvesting my muscat Wednesday or Thursday. They are almost a month behind but finally this past weekend I was seeing 18-20 brix. I'm at a conference now so needs to wait until I'm back, but excited to get going on this years.
Not sure when I'll get any more, I'm pretty sure I'm doing Dornfelder again this year, maybe some riesling.

Latest posts

Back