2019 Grape Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 4 and fermentation progressing nicely, albeit slower than in years past. The d254 is at 1.040 and d80 at 1.060 as of this morning. I suspect a direct result of the high starting SG of 1.102. I added a 3rd dose of Fermaid O last night as well. The goal is to press this weekend.

Day 6 and SG for the d254 is at 1.015 and the d80 is at 1.040. I hit the d80 this morning with a final dose of nutrient. Hopefully it plays catch up so I can press both batches either tomorrow afternoon or most likely Sunday morning. Caps are still in tact which is good. Cleaned up and sanitized the press last night so now just waiting on the must!

Day 6 and SG for the d254 is at 1.015 and the d80 is at 1.040. I hit the d80 this morning with a final dose of nutrient. Hopefully it plays catch up so I can press both batches either tomorrow afternoon or most likely Sunday morning. Caps are still in tact which is good. Cleaned up and sanitized the press last night so now just waiting on the must!

Day 7 and both are close to pressing. D254 is right at 1.000 and the d80 at 1.010, both caps are still in tact. Looks like a Sunday morning press! No off odors and glad both yeasts were able to handle the high starting sg. I’ll try to get a few pics at pressing.

Day 8 and and both fermenters were under 1.000sg so I pressed this morning. Yield was about 12.5 gallons, will rack tomorrow off the sludge. When would you recommend I blend the d254 with the d80, after mlf(I co-inoculated during af)?

Day 8 and and both fermenters were under 1.000sg so I pressed this morning. Yield was about 12.5 gallons, will rack tomorrow off the sludge. When would you recommend I blend the d254 with the d80, after mlf(I co-inoculated during af)?

If you can wait til they’ve finished MLF, cleared, and sat for a while, you can most likely do a better job of blending trials to find the best ratio. If you’re going to mix it all together no matter what, you can do that whenever you like.

If you can wait til they’ve finished MLF, cleared, and sat for a while, you can most likely do a better job of blending trials to find the best ratio. If you’re going to mix it all together no matter what, you can do that whenever you like.

Thanks John, I plan on blending the 2 for the sake of simplicity, been wanting to try a blend of 2 different yeast strains. I’ll probably wait until after mlf finishes for both and blend during that racking. Going to add a few ounces of American oak medium+ toast cubes at that point as well, I liked the influence that American oak gave on last years wines.

Latest posts

Back