2019 Grape Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also starting to think about the 2019 season plan. I have managed to secure some English Pinot Noir which should be ready in October time. Have an order in for 250kg (your 550lb) and planning to do 5 or 6 individual 25litre ferments. Going to keep 1 for a still Rose, 1 for a sparkling 'methode ancestral' Rose, and then 3 or 4 red batches which I'm going to experiment with different variables (yeast type, extended maceration etc).

Hoping the results are better than last year!

At 8 lugs each I ended up with 12+ gallons each which I thought was a pretty good yield after the first racking. I was expecting around 10 so I bought these cute little 2.5 gallon carboys. Normally at press I combine all the batches of different yeasts but this time I'm going to keep them separate, at least until after MLF. But then I'll have to figure which ones to blend to fit a barrel.

Attachments

• 5-13-2019 Press Yield.jpg
    5-13-2019 Press Yield.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
At 8 lugs each I ended up with 12+ gallons each which I thought was a pretty good yield after the first racking. I was expecting around 10 so I bought these cute little 2.5 gallon carboys. Normally at press I combine all the batches of different yeasts but this time I'm going to keep them separate, at least until after MLF. But then I'll have to figure which ones to blend to fit a barrel.

I have been looking for a couple 2.5 gallon carboys forever. Where did you find them?

Woo hoo. Just got an email from my grape grower, I am on his list for this year, even though last year, the Chief Financial Officer told me no grapes. More because of how much we already have than any other reason. But this year, 500 lbs of Chambourcin and 100 lbs of St. Vincent will be mine. Now to hope the guy down in Arkansas comes through with having enough folks to order some Vinifera grapes.

Now to hope the guy down in Arkansas comes through with having enough folks to order some Vinifera grapes.

Yes regardless of having a small group or a large group off people that want grapes, I will be setting up a shipment.
Only difference with a small group will be that the pickup will be at a winery that ordered from the same supplier, instead of in Northwest Arkansas. And as far as I am currently aware they ship to some wineries in Missouri.

Got a call out of the blue, I actually forgot I ordered Carmenere grapes from Weak Knee. Made the trip yesterday to get them and was surprised at how good the grapes looked. Got 7 lugs. Trying to let then sit a day (he advised to go light on the sulfates since he's finding they are sprayed with it) with Lallzyme and Opti-Red. Not much juice they were THICK but measured 24 brix before the enzyme. Starting it after work today. Might bump it up to 25 brix though trying to do it might be a little tough. Pitching BM 4X4 with some FT Rouge. Co-inoculating with VP-41 after year has been going 48 hours. Maybe a little heat to start since it 62 degrees in my wine room lol.

Last edited:
Yea Stickman I was a little surprised but the brix didn't go up any after soaking in the enzyme but it did free up some liquid. I had a bag of corn sugar laying around and after about 10-12 oz in each fermenter (had to split up the batch) we are right around 25 brix, original brix was actually 23.5 I was really impressed with these berries, they are the best looking stuff I ever got from him. Also added Opti-Red to each fermenter. Will add some Fermaid K after a few days then inoculate with VP-41 half way thru.

*edit* after reading the MLF thread I'm gonna throw in the VP41 after work today to keep it within 24 hours of yeast pitching. I also measured the temp and it was 65 degrees so I threw my heat belts on my fermenters.

Last edited:
Been away for a while due to moving etc... Funny, I too didn't do much this spring. One bucket of SA Sauv Blanc. I am trying to clean up what I have from the last year and already looking forward to the fall grapes!!! I bought a Vinmetrica 300 and love it. I think I really want to try a nice Rhone Blend. 66% Syrah and 33% Grenache.

Pressed out the Carmenere this morning, got over 10 gallons of liquid out of 7 lugs of grapes. You really got to love that Lallzyme! These grapes looked good but very little juice, well a little enzyme took care of that.

2019-Carmenere.jpg

ySMnouRCUsESeh4S9

Just keeping it there to wait out the VP-41 MLF. All are giving the telltale small bubbles. I got the Fermonster for high end kits , they are perfect for that. The only knock on them is they don't seal completely but they are fine if you have some MLF activity to keep a CO2 barrier above your wine. It looks like I may bet around 8.5 gallons of clear wine. Perfect for a 30 liter barrel.

Getting the itch already for the fall. Definitely going all OVZ, most likely with 2 different yeasts and blending the 2 batches. My 2018 zin is aging nicely, very fruit forward so far.

I had a Tempranillo with dinner on Saturday. A lighter red, cherry and red berry flavors...kind of delicate, like a Pinot. Are they typically like that? That wouldn’t be a bad addition to this year’s effort.

I’m a Tempranillo fan, made some from Spain a few years back, Grapemasters must IIRC. It’s more of a heavy wine in my book, but I suppose it depends upon how it’s crafted. Here’s a review from one of my favorite Temps:

“The 2014 Volver Single Vineyard comes from a parcel of vines planted in 1957 called Finca Los Juncares. It is 100% Tempranillo aged 15 months in French oak and bottled unfiltered. It is a relatively small cuvée of 3,000 cases, but it’s a stunning wine, with notes of unsmoked cigar tobacco, licorice and blackcurrants. This opaque purple-colored wine has a full-body, showing toasty notes intermixed with blackberry and cassis. It’s a beauty – an internationally styled, modern version of Tempranillo to drink over the next 5-6 years.”

Great wine, got it at $14/bottle, wish I had some left......

With the 2019 crush getting too close for comfort I think it's time to start some blending and bottling to make room for the new stuff. I think I'm happy with the acid, tannin and oak adjustments on the single varietals. Plus the MLF on the S. Hemisphere Cab Sauv and Pinot Noir have been done for some time now and need to see a barrel. I'm trying to get some friends help with the blending but I'm having a rough time making sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings by not inviting them but all my wines are reds and I only want to invite those with a red appreciation.

With the 2019 crush getting too close for comfort I think it's time to start some blending and bottling to make room for the new stuff. I think I'm happy with the acid, tannin and oak adjustments on the single varietals. Plus the MLF on the S. Hemisphere Cab Sauv and Pinot Noir have been done for some time now and need to see a barrel. I'm trying to get some friends help with the blending but I'm having a rough time making sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings by not inviting them but all my wines are reds and I only want to invite those with a red appreciation.

58420381007__A3712D6C-C762-4EA1-A42B-08C087071534.JPG

Great minds... this is (for the most part) my 2017 meritage waiting for caps and labels. Bottled it last weekend. Alone, this took a day and a half.

I have four carboys ready for fall now.

Last edited:
Texas has the Mustang grapes ready for harvest now. Don't laugh too hard at this, but I've learned soooooo much from everyone here in the past year or two and my take-away? I'm not harvesting any for this year! Yep. For giggles I've been following BRIX on them and they 'peaked' at 13. That's right - thirteen. And with very little juice given up and super-acidic to work with I just said enough/no more. So what did I do? Picked, destemmed and cleaned 35lbs for the lady friend to make jelly out of. It's been a ride for sure, but I've really been enjoying making SkeeterPee and DragonsBlood. It just works and my friends all love it. I've done three kits with great success so far too. But me thinks the Mustangs are a thing of the past for me now.

Latest posts

Back