2018 MLF Completion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season MLF completion was just 2 weeks very surprised and happy with the results, especially that last year took 3 months. I plan to let it sit for another 2 week before I rack and SO2.
What do you experts say?
Left test was taken the first day after adding MLB CH16, Right test was taken yesterday
Mike.P1060414.JPG P1060417.JPG

Looks good to me. If mine I’d let it go another 2-4wks to make sure and then rack and sulphite.
Last year I checked a wine with a complete chroma test against the accuvin strips that still showed some malic left.
I let my spring malbec go 4 extra months but it’s easier to play games with 22gal- you’ve got some serious volume tho. That said- the malbec is absolutely fantastic already. Had a taste last night.

*Keep in mind I have exactly 3 seasons only of MLF experience*

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position, chromatography shows no trace of malic when tested a week ago. Although the Shiraz still has some very occasional bubbles showing that MLF is still finishing off ( I presume). As others have suggested I plan to leave it a little longer until adding SO2 and racking.

I did read somewhere that the chromatography testing can only detect down to 100mg/L of malic acid, so there can still be some left in the wine even if the test doesn't show any trace. And as little as 30mg/L can cause bubbling in bottled wine.

I'm in a similar position, chromatography shows no trace of malic when tested a week ago. Although the Shiraz still has some very occasional bubbles showing that MLF is still finishing off ( I presume). As others have suggested I plan to leave it a little longer until adding SO2 and racking.

I did read somewhere that the chromatography testing can only detect down to 100mg/L of malic acid, so there can still be some left in the wine even if the test doesn't show any trace. And as little as 30mg/L can cause bubbling in bottled wine.
Thank's bathman and AJ & John, everyone confirmed my thoughts
My plan is to let it sit for another 30 days and than rack, taste,test, PH, TA and add the So2 treatment, put it to bed for another 90 days.

Latest posts

Back