2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got Gino Pinto Price List.

Thanks for posting this. Nice to see hey felt comfortable bumping up ALL the damn prices! Wtf
Paso Robles clone 9 is new. But maybe just more descriptive this year giving clone #s.

And what in the hell happened up in Washington this season ???!!! $25 MORE a lug now? The same vines. No drastic weather changes from ‘17 to ‘18. Safe to say those grapes didn’t just magically become 33% better this year. Maybe the teamsters are throwing their weight around the northwest. Either way I’ll pass.

Thanks for posting this. Nice to see hey felt comfortable bumping up ALL the damn prices! Wtf
Paso Robles clone 9 is new. But maybe just more descriptive this year giving clone #s.

And what in the hell happened up in Washington this season ???!!! $25 MORE a lug now? The same vines. No drastic weather changes from ‘17 to ‘18. Safe to say those grapes didn’t just magically become 33% better this year. Maybe the teamsters are throwing their weight around the northwest. Either way I’ll pass.

Certainly not worth my driving 3 hours each way.

Certainly not worth my driving 3 hours each way.

FWIW all the prices are similar to last year-
Lodi Catarina is up a buck
Amador gold up $2
Lanza up $2
LMP up $3

Not too crazy. I can deal. Whattya gonna do—- not make wine??? But wash cab is up $24!

It’s still worth it man. You looked at all the options. And the Harford dude I imagine is gonna have the same exact pricing.
Any other sources you gotta do legwork to line it up. Keystone worth another look for ya if your adamant. But they were already higher if I remember. .... eh. You’ll come around. I’ll give ya some time to take a step back and reflect. Just like the day Harford closed and you were ready to quit!

I'm not good enough of a winemaker to pay that much yet. Maybe someday. Juice is probably going to be out for me so I hope some decent prices come along. Would like to make at least 40 gallons [/QUOTE

Yes you are, you are as good as the rest of us.

Washington stuff too pricey for me as well. There must be a demand to drive the price though.

All the old vine zins are $45-55 pretty much the same as last year, Lanza $58. Procacci Bros will probably be $56 for their premium zin.

Washington stuff too pricey for me as well. There must be a demand to drive the price though.

All the old vine zins are $45-55 pretty much the same as last year, Lanza $58. Procacci Bros will probably be $56 for their premium zin.

Demand my ass! There was a hiccup somewhere along the line with Rattlesnake . Overhead at the vineyard, transportation, something. It’s not Pintos. Own fleet of trucks and all others went up only couple bucks.
Think the home winemakers are paying for some new John Deere equipment.

And the cabs are always jacked up a little more. That’s no different. Sonoma gold went up same %. $120 to $125.

Placed my order today, 36 lugs of Cab, 30 for me, 6 for @Scott Harbison. Short drive this year, then we’ll be some busy little winemakers!! Got my eye on a 60 gallon Alain Fouquet French barrel for a two year ride.......

Hope Sean___errr—Scott___ knows he just signed up for sorting through 1,300 lbs of grapes all day - of which only 200lbs are his. But learning the trade. Everybody wins.

**the name of a close buddy of mine is Sean Harbison. Hence the subconscious mixup

Last edited:
Hope Sean knows he just signed up for sorting through 1,300 lbs of grapes all day - of which only 200lbs are his. But learning the trade. Everybody wins.

LOL, it’s Scott, small price to pay to learn to use the C/D, must adjusting experience, and the several bottles of wine that we’ll permanently retire, and 60+ bottles of wine to boot!!!

Looking at published ton prices in Washington, it isn’t the growers getting it! Still just about a buck a pound for home winemakers, gotta pick them up though. My guess it is supply and demand back east, hey we do have great grapes, or perhaps labor shortage issues. It is tough to find pickers right now for pears, and some cherries went unpicked due to lack of pickers. I imagine hand packing lugs is pretty low on most growers priority list.

But, just to show I care, send me you wish list, with cash and I get everything you need. You’ll have to come pick it up though:a1

Demand my ass! There was a hiccup somewhere along the line with Rattlesnake . Overhead at the vineyard, transportation, something. It’s not Pintos. Own fleet of trucks and all others went up only couple bucks.
Think the home winemakers are paying for some new John Deere equipment.

And the cabs are always jacked up a little more. That’s no different. Sonoma gold went up same %. $120 to $125.

And/or the Washington grapes are currently in vogue. @Johny99 states it's not the growers. I'm sure Gino's wouldn't gouge the Washington grapes exclusively, must be the middle man .

Last edited:
And/or the Washington grapes are currently in vogue. @Johny99 states it's not the growers. I'm sure Gino's wouldn't gouge the Washington grapes exclusively, must be the middle man .

This was from one of the first emails I received from my local wine club:

Prices are up this year $2.50-3.00 a box, but not due to the usual suspects. US DOT is requiring truckers to sleep, but not while behind the wheel and moving. Electronic logs are allowing increased enforcement of the rules. As a result, freight costs are up significantly. Grape costs are roughly flat.

Latest posts

Back