2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added vp41 to the Pinotage tonight. Cap is thick, smell is very good. Will take SG tomorrow am.

Going to up my grape order to account for a 30L barrel now. Originally put in for 12 half lugs hoping for (x2) 6 gal carboys filled for aging. I know yields vary- but seems like one 1/2 lug= >1 gal of finished wine -
You think 7 lugs would get me there? Or go 8 each? My math gives me 8.8gal from 126lbs (7 lugs).

I always assume I will get 60% of my must in finished wine. So .6 times 12.6 gallons of must gets me 7.5 gallons. I feel like I would rather over shoot than under.

Your right I don’t know why I even contemplated it. Another 36lbs to both (and $100) and no worries. And possible a separate juice pail to boot as a failsafe (or excuse)
My #’s were 70%. And the must has worked out as the # lbs then shift decimal point left one space. 126lbs is about 12.6 gal must and about 7.5-8.8gal in the finish. <— works well enough to at least figure out an order and equipment.

Last edited:
Upped the order to 8 lugs per batch. And a Syrah bucket.
Just noticed my supplier sells an 8.8gal demijohn. Seems like a perfect match to an 8gal barrel. Great prices too (whole catalog really) View attachment 47891

8.8 is good size to add one of these days, I also need a 3gl.

Is it still malbec with the lugs?

The Pinotage cap is starting to diminish. Smell is very good at this point. Depending on SG tomorrow I might be pressing saturday or sunday. Was hoping that juice buckets would be available to throw on the skins, but they look like a few weeks away yet. Guess I'll throw a good portion of the skins in the freezer.

8.8 is good size to add one of these days, I also need a 3gl.

Is it still malbec with the lugs?

Yea going 288lbs of Malbec. And a bucket of Syrah just because why not.
Figure I can top Malbec with Syrah if I had to. New world blends- no rules!
The prices for bottles and corks are pretty spot on too. The real cork/agglomerated 1+1 are $0.17 ea. by the 50 bag. 1,000 obviously even cheaper. I’ll be gearing up.
3gal carboy is also on my list. I do have 1 but need another. Very undervalued size.
https://ginopinto.com/wp-content/up..._Winemaking_Catalog_Revised_February_2018.pdf
Good to hear smooth sailing so far over there.

The Pinotage cap is starting to diminish. Smell is very good at this point. Depending on SG tomorrow I might be pressing saturday or sunday. Was hoping that juice buckets would be available to throw on the skins, but they look like a few weeks away yet. Guess I'll throw a good portion of the skins in the freezer.

Did you get Pinotage juice as well or putting the skins on another varietal?

Did you get Pinotage juice as well or putting the skins on another varietal?

Juice buckets aren't in yet as far as I know. With this I probably will stay with Pinotage juice. Will freeze the skins until I have the juice

Going to do another all grape batch with carmenere and syrah when the Chilean grapes come in as well.

Yea going 288lbs of Malbec. And a bucket of Syrah just because why not.
Figure I can top Malbec with Syrah if I had to. New world blends- no rules!
The prices for bottles and corks are pretty spot on too. The real cork/agglomerated 1+1 are $0.17 ea. by the 50 bag. 1,000 obviously even cheaper. I’ll be gearing up.
3gal carboy is also on my list. I do have 1 but need another. Very undervalued size.
https://ginopinto.com/wp-content/up..._Winemaking_Catalog_Revised_February_2018.pdf
Good to hear smooth sailing so far over there.

They do have verry good prices. The corks caught my eye. It appears natural #9 corks are $9.50 for 50. Not much of a description but if they are truely natural corks that is a steal. I've been buying Grade 3 natural corks 100 for $42.00.

Latest posts

Back