2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He, like us, does a racking after 3 day after press. What he doesn't do is the racking after 3 weeks. He says the bacteria needs these nutrients and make sure you stir regularly. I'm following his protocol this fall. The only difference is mine will be going through MLF in glass for the first couple months.

My season is done. I just got awarded a new project while starting another one and finishing one up and I have to sit with my mom while my brother and his family go on vacation. Unfortunate because the Washington State grapes are supposed to be Super Premium from Yakima Valley but they are $2.00/lb.

OV Zin is all off the gross lees at this point. Activity still going. With 7 lugs I ended up with 17.5 gls, 13.5 fee run and 4 press.

Froze several lbs of the skins. Made a beer wort and tossed it on a portion of the skins. Will dry hop and then carbonate like a normal beer. Purely experimental. Will take remaining skins and add elderberry concentrate for a batch of zin/elderberry. Was going to get a few juice buckets to throw on the skin, but had beer extract and elderberry concentrate sitting around from a gift a few months ago. So thought I would experiment a bit.

@jgmann67 good luck on that MLF, crossing my fingers.

My season is done. I just got awarded a new project while starting another one and finishing one up and I have to sit with my mom while my brother and his family go on vacation. Unfortunate because the Washington State grapes are supposed to be Super Premium from Yakima Valley but they are $2.00/lb.

Want me to buy/make your Washington wine? I have a little time the next 2-3 days. We could split a batch. You did the hard work of sourcing - I don't mind doing the crush. Just need to find the OptiRed and Lallzyme.

Thanks. Me too. [emoji1303]
Yell when you want to test, or better yet give the sample to my brother at work. Wifey working, daughter in a field hockey tournament, I need to get the lawn done and clean a bunch of bottles to actually, some day bottle some of this old wine sitting in carboys. Oh, going to attempt a piece 'o brisket tomorrow between men's breakfast and taking my daughter to school for the tournament. Oh, I've also got to go into work since they delivered my son's new phone after I left today (I love you FedEx), then BJs for charcoal.

Yell when you want to test, or better yet give the sample to my brother at work. Wifey working, daughter in a field hockey tournament, I need to get the lawn done and clean a bunch of bottles to actually, some day bottle some of this old wine sitting in carboys. Oh, going to attempt a piece 'o brisket tomorrow between men's breakfast and taking my daughter to school for the tournament. Oh, I've also got to go into work since they delivered my son's new phone after I left today (I love you FedEx), then BJs for charcoal.

Will do. I’ll get you samples at the 1 month mark. Hopefully, the Zin will be good and the three amigos show some progress.

Checked on the Cabernet again last night. Still tons of bubbles coming up the side of the carboy and the airlock is burping about every 1.5 seconds. 3 weeks since crush, and SG is at 0.996. I've never seen so much activity so late in the game.

Checked on the Cabernet again last night. Still tons of bubbles coming up the side of the carboy and the airlock is burping about every 1.5 seconds. 3 weeks since crush, and SG is at 0.996. I've never seen so much activity so late in the game.

Does seem like a lot of activity. Mine are showing positive pressure but no Burps. Going to Bull Run this morning to modify his hose bib and will let you know about the WA State but I can't imagine it's a problem.

You on the payroll there yet? LOL!

Supposed to be going to Stone Tower tomorrow, but it looks like those plans could fall apart.

You on the payroll there yet? LOL!

Supposed to be going to Stone Tower tomorrow, but it looks like those plans could fall apart.

Not on the payroll just stealing knowledge. Never been to Stone Tower but heard it's beautiful facility with over priced wines. You'll have to let me know if you go.

Fall Update:

Pinotage from the spring is in the new barrel.

Carmener/Malbec and Cab Sauv/Syrah from spring bulk aging.

Australian Cab Sauv, Syrah and Grenache juice buckets from the summer bulk aging

Brunello from this fall bulk aging

Petite Syrah from this fall bulk aging

Zin from this fall finishing up MLF

The weakest wine in the bunch so far is the Grenache. But that's what I would expect. It's still good but not at the level of the rest.

Very happy with it all this year.

Fall Update:

Pinotage from the spring is in the new barrel.

Carmener/Malbec and Cab Sauv/Syrah from spring bulk aging.

Australian Cab Sauv, Syrah and Grenache juice buckets from the summer bulk aging

Brunello from this fall bulk aging

Petite Syrah from this fall bulk aging

Zin from this fall finishing up MLF

The weakest wine in the bunch so far is the Grenache. But that's what I would expect. It's still good but not at the level of the rest.

Very happy with it all this year.

Have you tasted the Carmener/Malbec, what were the percentages? Not sure how many gallons of the others you have but that barrel is going to be neutral before they all have a chance to go in. I think you're going to need another. I'm going to be placing another order the beginning of the year. I think 20 is the next price break.

The carmenere/malbec was a field blend of 3 lugs Carmenere and 1 lug Malbec. So 75% Carmenere and 25% Malbec.

I would be in for another barrel next year.

Added the MBR 31 on 10-13 after racking less then 24 hours after press. Rehydrated with Acti ML and added Opti-Malo Plus 2 days later. This may be the fastest MLF I ever had. Still going to let it go the 2-3 month term as recommended by my local winemaker.WW MLF.jpg Although I have no control I'm going to assume the additional lees for not letting it settle very long helped it along.

Back