2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there is a fine line with this somewhere, but typically don't dryer years produce grapes with more sugar? And better wines? But I know the drought there is getting very serious.

It does plus higher phenol levels the only draw back is the smaller fruit. But if we are paying by the lb it shouldn't make any difference.

I'm starting to get a pretty good relationship with the winemaker at Pearmund, Effingham and Vint Hill. Plus I started another project a Chrysalis this week. I should be in good shape for the fall grapes. Should be in a different thread but I plan on PV, CF Petite Manseng and hopefuly a Tannat or what ever I can get my hands on this fall. You may want to keep that in mind. Also there is a new winery openning in April called Fleetwood. It's in the Brambleton area and the same winemaker is also making it for them.

If I can get my hands on some Pearmund Petite Manseng grapes, I'd be very interested. Still need to go back there and get a bottle or two.

What are you doing now over at Chrysalis?

If I can get my hands on some Pearmund Petite Manseng grapes, I'd be very interested. Still need to go back there and get a bottle or two.

What are you doing now over at Chrysalis?

We're building a bread and pizza brick oven pavilion and extending the second floor deck to above the pavilion.

Attachments

• A2 and A3.pdf
    669.8 KB · Views: 15
Nice find, there have been many articles on the SA harvest, mostly pertaining to the drought. It's funny there is nothing similar about the Chilean harvest. Maybe SA takes more pride in their product. I'm thinking about adding another lug of CS to my order to have 3 lugs and a bucket.

Nice find, there have been many articles on the SA harvest, mostly pertaining to the drought. It's funny there is nothing similar about the Chilean harvest. Maybe SA takes more pride in their product. I'm thinking about adding another lug of CS to my order to have 3 lugs and a bucket.
You could do a grand experiment and order a total of 7 lugs and have one lug for the bucket and the other 6 as an all grape wine. I think your lug and a bucket will be good, but I'd bet your 6 lugs would be even better! (I like spending money belonging to others) But do use the same yeast and additives in both, that way the raw ingredients are the only big variable.

A few articles about Chilean table grapes, many from 2017, but the word seems to be mum on the 2018 Chilean wine grape harvest.

SA grapes are so damn expensive man. Maybe next year. I’m not even close to being ready so the extra month for Chilean will be needed. (Got my SS double bay sink w/ drainboard tho!)
Still going with 100% Malbec plan- which is Mrs AJ’s favorite varietal- and 1 I have yet to make. Broken up into 2 separate ferments. Will allow 2 yeasts and 2 mlb’s. (Hope to learn a lot this way) Likely blending together during aging. Saving half to bottle as single varietal and half for future blends.
Contemplating 10% of another varietal to compliment the Malbec the way cabs can be aided. But just too uninformed to know which way to turn.

You could do a grand experiment and order a total of 7 lugs and have one lug for the bucket and the other 6 as an all grape wine. I think your lug and a bucket will be good, but I'd bet your 6 lugs would be even better! (I like spending money belonging to others) But do use the same yeast and additives in both, that way the raw ingredients are the only big variable.

You don't know how badly I want to go with an all grape batch of the SA Cab. I'm trying to talk myself into it though. Might not be terrible hard.

At this stage in wine making my pallette is clueless when it comes to blending and what complements what.
Tough to know since those small additions aren’t ever printed on the labels. Sometimes you can find the winemakers notes online. I’ve only had a Malbec blend with Cab - as far as I know. But I’m sure there are French winemakers who like to add a touch of this or that to balance it out while keeping at least 85% Malbec

Tough to know since those small additions aren’t ever printed on the labels. Sometimes you can find the winemakers notes online. I’ve only had a Malbec blend with Cab - as far as I know. But I’m sure there are French winemakers who like to add a touch of this or that to balance it out while keeping at least 85% Malbec

I've been told Merlot blends with anything, about the only thing I know.
It may be regional but I think, at least in Virginia, the number is 75% to call it a single varietal.

I have a feeling my 2018 will be a smaller production year, at least for grape wines.
Our 3rd kid is due Oct 9th, which is right in harvest season. So I may not be able to do much picking/pressing.
Fruit wines are earlier in the summer, so can still do some of those, and maybe a couple grape juice buckets.
I'll try to at least do our back yard grapes.

Back