2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That ‘freezing out the water from juice pails’ idea is clever as hell.

It really is. Nice way to pick up a few brix without adding sugar. And while the pH changed, it didn't move too much - still in a range where I wouldn't mess with it.

This concept has been around for a long time. I've heard of people using this technique (when the weather doesn't cooperate) with late harvest grapes to produce a faux ice wine. If you freeze the juice completely and let it thaw carefully, you can pull off juice at 40 brix. This could be used as an advanced technique to make your own concentrate for back sweetening. I've never had any reason to use the method, but it's there if you need it. With California must, we're usually considering watering down the brix.

This freezing method is interesting except for me it is off the table due to not having a freezer big enough for buckets, Side by side frig/freezer is too narrow.

Getting prepped for the Pinotage. Just ordered VP41 and all necessary nutrients and adjuncts. Thinking of trying BM4X4 for the first time.(any words of wisdom on BM4X4 would be greatly appreciated) Been reading everything I can find on the grape, good write up here: https://winemakermag.com/1121-pinotage-varietal-focus

Seems are warmer ferment will be the approach: "Warmer fermentations are reserved for the best and boldest reds, where fermentation temperatures push upwards to 90 °F (32 °C), and most of the berries are crushed, allowing for maximum extraction of tannins and color. One winemaker I consulted said that the optimal temperature for high sugar content (25 °Brix and above) is 27 to 30 °C (81 to 86 °F). This helps prevent the solvent-like characters that Pinotage can easily develop"

Will be scrubbing the crusher later.

Thinking of trying BM4X4 for the first time.(any words of wisdom on BM4X4 would be greatly appreciated)

FYI, Lallamand's website seems to not recommend BM4x4 for MLB pitched the traditional way (after primary fermentation), they like co-inoculation better.

http://www.lallemandwine.com/north-...product-detail/9/wine-yeasts/11/lalvin-bm4x4/

Fermentation Speed

Moderate

MLF Compatibility
Not really recommended

Nitrogen Needs
High

Alcohol Tolerance
15 %

Volatile Acidity
Moderate

SO₂ Production
Moderate

Max. Temperature
28 °C

Min. Temperature
16 °C

H₂S 170ppm
Low

H₂S 60ppm
Moderate

Suitability for co-Inoculation
Very recommended

Acetaldehyde Production
High

I've been co-inoculating my last few batches so that's ok, But it does concern me when both the yeast and grape can tend towards Acetaldehyde.

Just placed my order for Chilean grapes. I am doing a field blended of cab/merlot 85/15. I have had a lot of good results with this blend.

The Chilean crush is much smaller than the fall crush (California). I limit making wine to just myself, my brother, and my niece/nephew. This is because of the price of grapes, lack of capacity, and (most important) not having the energy or money to have TWO major crushes in one year.

Now I have found out that the SA grapes come in in March. I have to keep this very Quiet. If my brother finds out about it, I will be doing 3 crushes a year!

How are the SA grapes? What numbers have you folks been realizing?

What I'm buying:
SA Cab Sauv bucket and 2 lugs, bucket Chilean Malbec and 2 lugs, bucket Chilean Carmenere and 1 lug, 1 bucket of Merlot no lugs.

What I plan to do:
Ferment the Cab and Malbec separately and crush and freeze the Carmenere lug as well as the Carmenere and Merlot bucket.
After the Cab and Malbec finish do a light press and combine the skins with the Carmenere skins and juice and ferment.
Once this is done again lightly press and add all the skins to the Merlot.
After that I may either lightly press for the merlot then fully press the remainder for a smaller batch of the blend.

A lot of extra work but was trying to make the best of the high cost of Spring grapes.

@mainshipfred : if you want them, you're welcome to my Carmenere/PV skins after I press.

I'm starting to get a pretty good relationship with the winemaker at Pearmund, Effingham and Vint Hill. Plus I started another project a Chrysalis this week. I should be in good shape for the fall grapes. Should be in a different thread but I plan on PV, CF Petite Manseng and hopefuly a Tannat or what ever I can get my hands on this fall. You may want to keep that in mind. Also there is a new winery openning in April called Fleetwood. It's in the Brambleton area and the same winemaker is also making it for them.

Just placed my order for Chilean grapes. I am doing a field blended of cab/merlot 85/15. I have had a lot of good results with this blend.

The Chilean crush is much smaller than the fall crush (California). I limit making wine to just myself, my brother, and my niece/nephew. This is because of the price of grapes, lack of capacity, and (most important) not having the energy or money to have TWO major crushes in one year.

Now I have found out that the SA grapes come in in March. I have to keep this very Quiet. If my brother finds out about it, I will be doing 3 crushes a year!

How are the SA grapes? What numbers have you folks been realizing?

I'd have to look up my numbers from last year's SA cab but I believe brix was around 26, ph 3.56 and TA 6.5. It's going to be one year old in two weeks and it is one of my best wines to date. This year I'm trying the Pinotage.

Doing SA for the first time this year. The reports indicate there has been a 3 year drought affecting size of the grapes and their smallest yield in years. But some also say this may positively influence the quality.

I'm sure there is a fine line with this somewhere, but typically don't dryer years produce grapes with more sugar? And better wines? But I know the drought there is getting very serious.

Latest posts

Back