2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was completely wrong my grapes were from Olifantsrivier. I guess that translates: Elephant River? Nice find.

Just placed my order with Harford. 8 lugs of Carmenere and 1 lug of Petite Verdot. Going for a 'Purple Angel' type wine. Purple Angel is 92/8% each and every year, it seems. I didn't want to come up w/ much more than 10 gallons, so that's why I settled on the ratio. Going with a field blend. I'm hoping this is much better than my 2016 Chileans.

Just placed my order with Harford. 8 lugs of Carmenere and 1 lug of Petite Verdot. Going for a 'Purple Angel' type wine. Purple Angel is 92/8% each and every year, it seems. I didn't want to come up w/ much more than 10 gallons, so that's why I settled on the ratio. Going with a field blend. I'm hoping this is much better than my 2016 Chileans.

Besides upping the Pinotage to 11 lugs I reserved 8 carmenere and 3 syrah. Field blend here on the Chilean as well.

Gino Pinto 2018 prices are posted:

http://ginopinto.com/south-african-chilean-wine-grape-juice-prices-march-2018/

Not terribly impressed from juice buckets anymore so I'm gonna try something radical this year. Get a juice bucket and freeze it, siphon off as much as juice as i can. Probably have around 4.5gals of concentrated juice-then two crushed lugs of grapes. Balance everything and see what happens.

Not terribly impressed from juice buckets anymore so I'm gonna try something radical this year. Get a juice bucket and freeze it, siphon off as much as juice as i can. Probably have around 4.5gals of concentrated juice-then two crushed lugs of grapes. Balance everything and see what happens.

I think I like where you are going but I think I am a little unclear on how to siphon off frozen must.

I’ve been through a bunch of different options for spring grapes now. It’s becoming the norm for me- to change my plan weekl and whichever plan I’m at when ordering time comes is the winner.
Falls field blend I did was fun but is limiting. New plan is to make one single varietal per season and blending in a few years. Multi vintage and multi country blends. As well as single varietals bottled. Can you say ‘Blending Party’?
Going Malbec split into 2 ferments. Different yeast and different malo. Aging separate. Combining most down the line. Thinking this would give me some more complexity. That’s the plan (for today)

Last edited:
Pretty interesting. Feel bad for the guy, getting a Zin bucket at only 20 brix though. :pee

He’s actually a member here now. @winepittsburgh
Has a pretty interesting website and YouTube channel as well.
Not sure if you recall a video shared here a while back demonstrating how to crush and destem using the milkcrate in bins - but that’s also from his YouTube channel.
That ‘freezing out the water from juice pails’ idea is clever as hell.

Back