2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Have yet to make wine from frozen must but I imagine they are a much much better finished product. The prices should the answer the question as well.
Fresh juice pail -$60 to yield 6 gal
Frozen must. $400-$600 to yield same amount. (Assuming x2 5gal pails would give about 6gal finished)
Juice pails aren’t available in a higher grade either

Have or can you notice a difference in the product from a juice bucket vs one from a bucket of crushed grapes? I've read in some places that the juice buckets could have less of a body

So far as I know there are few places that sell frozen must with the skins and they are quite expensive. As most agree all grape is the way to go but costly with the Southern Hemisphere harvest. I'll do a juice and grape combo for economy reasons but feel the juice portion will be lacking something.

I do fresh juice buckets for whites. I've done an all-grape fresh white batch from Seyval Blanc because that's what Harford had on hand the year I was buying stuff.

For reds, I have done them a few ways and like the results:
-Lug of fresh grapes + fresh juice bucket (most often what I do)
-All fresh grapes
-Big jar of Mosti Mondiali grapes + fresh juice bucket
-6 gallons frozen must from M&M + 6 gallon fresh juice bucket for a cabernet sauvignon batch

Note that Harford has a narrower selection of fresh grapes than they do of fresh juice. I tend to pick the varietals based on what grapes I can get, and then match the juice to them. This is more true of the spring harvest than the fall but still a consideration.

@Ajmassa5983, I was hoping to hook up to trade for the crusher today, but work has gotten in the way, any chance you have a window of opportunity this coming sunday I could stop by or meet somewhere? If not I could do something at lunchtime any day next week.

@Ajmassa5983, I was hoping to hook up to trade for the crusher today, but work has gotten in the way, any chance you have a window of opportunity this coming sunday I could stop by or meet somewhere? If not I could do something at lunchtime any day next week.

I have tons goin on with a move scheduled for tomorrow. But Sunday I can most likely make it happen since I’ll definitely be at the shop at some point (where the crusher is currently).
I’ll pm you later on to make it happen. Unfortunately I have yet to bottle for the Cab swap. But I’ve got a bottle of Bravado with your name on it.

Placed my order:

South African Cab Sauv bucket and 2 lugs
Chilean Malbec bucket and 2 lugs
Chilean Carmenere bucket and one lug
Chilean Merlot bucket - Not a huge Merlot fan but want to have it for blending

Unfortunately it will probably be 2 trips

If I get around to putting my order in, let's carpool.

No menu for Chilean yet for me. Though they said they’d still start an order since “they know” even if it’s not official yet.
South African is posted. 3 different cabs and a Pinotage.
Breedes River Cab
Olifants River Cab
Stellenbosch district Cab.
May do an impulse Cab. Those regions may as well be on Mars tho. No clue. Need prices to make the call.

No menu for Chilean yet for me. Though they said they’d still start an order since “they know” even if it’s not official yet.
Breedes River Cab
Olifants River Cab
May do an impulse Cab. Those regions may as well be on Mars tho. No clue. Need prices to make the call.

I know Stellenbosch, but am not familiar w/ the other two.

Breedes River Cab
Olifants River Cab

When you're menu does come up could you post it. Just curious what your source offers and costs.

My 2017 South African Cab was from either Breede or Stellenback, when I get home later I'll find the photos of the lugs. It is one of my best wines to date and it's only 11 months old.

Just spoke to Gino's( by the way Gino Pinto himself passed away this past fall) the list for 2018 will be the same as 2017. Prices for 2018 are not calculated yet and are mainly going up due to the higher cost of importing.

I increased my Pinotage order to 11 lugs and reserved 7 Carmenere and 4 Syrah from Chile.

Here's the 2017 price list.

http://ginopinto.com/current-home-winemaking-grape-juice-prices/

Here's the 2017 price list.

Sounds like a great place to buy. I went through their catalog bottle pricing is really good.

Will do. Generally they are pretty similar to Harford. The organization and website couldn’t be more different tho. http://ginopinto.com/south-african-grape-region/

I like the way they distinguish where the different SA grapes are coming from. I wonder why neeither of them do the same for the Chileans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back