Thought I would post my progress for my first proper attempt at making wine from grapes. The first main issue for me at this stage is how difficult it has been sourcing 'serious' wine making supplies here in the UK, as you can't get half the stuff available to US home winemakers. so MLF bacteria is very limited to non-existent; Vinmetrica equipment is not available so limited SO2 testing; limited MLF chromatography testing, yeast nutrient, MLF nutrients etc. There seems to be a gap in the market which needs filling. The second main issue is the expense - based on the money I have spent so far each bottle of wine I am producing will have cost £40 (or about $50)! I could only find a single business in the UK that imported a wide variety of wine grapes from Europe for sale to the home wine maker. I made a 300 mile return journey to get the grapes (that's probably not very far in the US), and picked up about 180lb of Cabernet Sauvignon and 90lb of Shiraz grapes, both from Italy. The grape crusher I ordered didn't arrive in time (was coming from Italy) so I ended up destemming and crushing the grapes by hand into food-grade buckets. Fortunately I had a little help... Following crushing I tested the must. Both grapes had an OG of 1.093 (potential alcohol of 13%) and added some meta-k (something else that is also difficult to get here in the UK, all homebrew stores seem to stock sodium meta). Both had similar pH of 3.5 and TA of ~7.5g/L and decided not to make any adjustments at this stage. I had wanted to use Lalvin RC212 yeast for both types of grape but there seemed to be a real availability issue in the UK everywhere was out of stock; I ended up ordering some from the US but again it didn't turn up on time. I ended up using Lalvin 71B-1122 for the Cab and Mangrove Jacks VR21 for the Shiraz - not ideal but I didn't have much other choice. I decided to press on day 7 before primary fermentation had completed with the SG at about 1.020, mainly because otherwise it would be another 7 days before I would have the chance to press and I was happy with the colour extraction achieved over 7 days. Used a drilled plastic bottle to get the majority of free run from the buckets, and then pressed the grapes. In total got 31 litres of Cab and 17 litres of Shiraz. Made of use of some very small demijohns (down to 1 litre) to get all the wine, which I will use to top up after racking. Otherwise the Cab has gone into a stainless steel 6 gallon tank (~25 litres).