2018 Cab Blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I adjust the sulfite in the wine before bottling. Bottling day I rinse the bottles with a 1% sulfite solution, around 10g mixed with water to 1 liter, I'l toss in a couple of teaspoons of citric acid once the sulfite is dissolved, bottles remain upside down in cases until I'm ready to fill.

I adjust the sulfite in the wine before bottling. Bottling day I rinse the bottles with a 1% sulfite solution, around 10g mixed with water to 1 liter, I'l toss in a couple of teaspoons of citric acid once the sulfite is dissolved, bottles remain upside down in cases until I'm ready to fill.
Thank you

Need an opinion here. I use pails of California juice. Don't have the room nor the equipment for grapes. I'm planning on doing Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe throw Syrah in it too. Separate fermentation and blend later. I see a lot of recommendations for D80, D254 and D21. I usually use Red Star Premier Rouge, but this time I'd like to try something different. What do you recommend for each wine?

Last edited:
Need an opinion her. I use pails of California juice. Don't have the room nor the equipment for grapes. I'm planning on doing Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe throw Syrah in it too. Separate fermentation and blend later. I see a lot of recommendations for D80, D254 and D21. I usually use Red Star Premier Rouge, but this time I'd like to try something different. What do you recommend for each wine?

I've had good results with Premier Rouge, D254 and D21. Of these three, I prefer the D21, but that's personal opinion only. It started easily, produced no "off" smells, completed quickly and did not get quite as warm during fermentation (this can be both good and bad).

I also used Avante for the first time in 2018, and really liked that too. It is my plan to use this for all red wine going forward because of it's excellent kinetics and absolute freedom from H2S.

I would guess that there are more good choices than bad ones, so pick one that you've had a good experience with and use that. Or, since you have so many fermentations planned, experiment with one of them to see what you really like.

Good Luck

I've had good results with Premier Rouge, D254 and D21. Of these three, I prefer the D21, but that's personal opinion only. It started easily, produced no "off" smells, completed quickly and did not get quite as warm during fermentation (this can be both good and bad).

I also used Avante for the first time in 2018, and really liked that too. It is my plan to use this for all red wine going forward because of it's excellent kinetics and absolute freedom from H2S.

I would guess that there are more good choices than bad ones, so pick one that you've had a good experience with and use that. Or, since you have so many fermentations planned, experiment with one of them to see what you really like.

Good Luck
Thank you. I've had great results with Premier Rouge. I just want to try something different. I have never used anything else besides Premier Rouge.

I'm going to sound like a broken record to some but don't be afraid to split the batches and use different yeasts. Last spring I did a grape S African Cab using D254, D80 and 71B that is turning out very nice. My fall Syrah I used Syrah, AMH and D47. This one is going through too many changes to know how it will turn out but it could be promising. As CDrew said there are a lot of choices.

I'm going to sound like a broken record to some but don't be afraid to split the batches and use different yeasts. Last spring I did a grape S African Cab using D254, D80 and 71B that is turning out very nice. My fall Syrah I used Syrah, AMH and D47. This one is going through too many changes to know how it will turn out but it could be promising. As CDrew said there are a lot of choices.
Thank you for your input. I'm just afraid of screwing up a good thing.

@Johnd I'm using the 2g tablets, they also make a 5g version, but the name indicates the pure so2 delivered, so it can be misleading as the 2g tablet actually weighs 5.5g, containing 66% kmeta and 33% potassium bicarbonate. In my case the tanks are tall and narrow compared to a barrel, the tablet falls to the bottom and sends a plume of bubbles all the way to the surface, which is intended to provide mixing, but I always mix the tank anyway, I use a stainless rod or a racking cane to move the staves around which reach the bottom of the tank. The tablets are convenient and work well for tanks and barrels in the cellar, but I don't use them right before bottling as they tend to increase the co2 content of the wine.

In the scheme of things, it's a tiny amount of CO2, and the bicarbonate turns it into a fizzy tablet like Alka-seltzer so it dissolves quickly and the rising bubbles serve to distribute the KMBS.

I am planning on using it next year because it looks easier!

I assume this is:
https://morewinemaking.com/products/effervescent-so2.html

Yeah i wasn’t concerned about co2 at all. In fact I think it’s welcome. Just adds protection.
But was thinking in regards to k-bicarb is an antacid.

But I’m assuming now that the dose is so minuscule that there’s no detectable effects from it, correct?

@Ajmassa5983 I haven't noticed any significant effect on pH. One 2g net so2 tablet (5.5g gross) in a 30gal batch might drop the TA by .02g/l.

Just did a quick check and taste on the 2018 cab blends, not much to report, color is good but maybe a little less than the 2017, aromatics starting to close a bit, taste is typical with a little fruit showing but tannins are dominating, there is less difference between the two at this point. Didn't bother testing so2, just added another 17ppm to both tanks.

IMG_0159.JPG

Just did a quick check and taste on the 2018 cab blends, not much to report, color is good but maybe a little less than the 2017, aromatics starting to close a bit, taste is typical with a little fruit showing but tannins are dominating, there is less difference between the two at this point. Didn't bother testing so2, just added another 17ppm to both tanks.

View attachment 55263

what is the ph?

Back