2017 racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been 2 weeks since pressing, Time to rack!

Actually, we racked everything (both the 2016 and the 2017 vintages).

2017 came out great! Although the new vintages tasted a little sharp, MLF will soften that out. Such great promise!

I was lucky to have both my brother and a good friend help me out. Having extra hands really helps when pulling out tanks to clean them!

Funny how we had 60-80 people at crush, 10 people at pressing, and 3 at racking.

All I can say is that the FRUIT FLIES were insane this year! With a warm/late fall with no killing frost, the fruit fly population is enormous!

To combat this, we kept everything covered. Even open bung holes had a hand placed over them until they could be sealed with a stopper. not a single of the little buggers got in.

Here are some pics..

1 pumping from a holding tub into a tank.

Having to keep even our wineglasses covered! (note that 11 of the little buggers landed on my glass in between sips!

Just one of several traps! The reservoir at the bottom looked just like that "after the sinking" scene of "Titanic".

IMG_20171021_124652071_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171021_124704873_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171021_172224503[1].jpg

IMG_20171022_082549279[1].jpg

Last edited:
I agree......they are pretty bad this year. I racked mine this weekend (pressed three weeks ago) and used a screen in my funnel......unbelievable amount of little buggers in there. Has anyone ever mentioned whether they do anything to the taste?

.. A funny side note.

We use this hand truck to move the tanks. The had truck has a curved back that perfectly cradles a tank. We just wheel it out and lay it down to let the lees drain out.

The problem is that when we lay the tank down, it is held in a downward position so that the lees pours out surprisingly fast. If you do not get you feet out of the way quickly, your shoes get completely goosed!

If I have a first timer helping me, and I like them, I give a warning :h:h.

Hee, Hee!

Last edited:
Back