2017 merlot re-gassing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crcarey

Reaction score
I opened a bottle of my 2017 merlot. It was good when I bottled it, degassed with all in one wine pump, added k metta. I have a had a few bottles and all was good. The last 2 bottles I opened were gas city. If I place my hand over the bottle and give a shake it blows of pretty good. Any idea on what might be happening here?

This was one of the only times I didn’t put potassium sorbate in but it was measuring .990. I just checked 2 other batches I did the same exact way and one tasted perfect and the other like the merlot.

When I tasted after I shook it and aerated, it tasted a little funky...

When I tasted after I shook it and aerated, it tasted a little funky...

MLF in bottle can cause the gas, and the funky taste or smell.

“When in-bottle MLF occurs, carbon dioxide becomes trapped in the wine, resulting in an unpleasant fizziness. A consumer opening a wine that has accidentally undergone in-bottle MLF may think the wine is continuing to ferment as the bottle releases carbon dioxide. At the same time, uncontrolled, in-bottle MLF may impart off flavors and aromas to wines, such as cured meats or fetid milk.”
https://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Malo-lactic_Fermentation

Back