2017 Gardens

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Sunday, I woke up at my brother's house around 6am. On the way home, I stopped off and picked up soil and plants. I found that it is getting harder and harder to find herbs. I had to go to 3 places without any luck. I did manage to find some at Lowes, but MAN was it crowded in the garden department at 7am!!!

Here is what I am planning..

A FLAT of basil,
two flat leaf parsley
two curly parsley
one thyme (I have another that wintered over)
one rosemary (again, I have one that wintered over)
12 geraniums,
6 cucumbers
12 hot cherry peppers.

Ended up planting only half before the rain came in and put an end to it.

I will post a picture once I have everything potted.

How is everybody else doing with your gardens???

Here's one garden plot. Everything is planted and seeded. I have a map of what I've planted also. We just got some needed rain so it should start sprouting any day. I have another plot in the back with159 rhubarb plants, onions, potatoes, five kinds of squashes and pumpkins.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1495463150.997721.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1495463161.531642.jpg

Anybody got a good method for growing potatoes on a sundeck?????

In a bucket. My old neighbor used to do that. Harvest time, he'd simply dump the bucket out into his garden and fish out the potatoes.

In a bucket. My old neighbor used to do that. Harvest time, he'd simply dump the bucket out into his garden and fish out the potatoes.

Do you know the specifics?

I tried last year. I used russet potatoes from the grocery store. They grew very nice plants and even had plenty of flowers. Unfortunately, when I harvested, there were only a handful of pea-sized potatoes. It was a lot of expectation ending in a HUGE disappointment!

I also used potting soil. Not sure what went wrong.

That's like a couple weeks worth of veggies for you right? LOL

Here's one garden plot. Everything is planted and seeded. I have a map of what I've planted also. We just got some needed rain so it should start sprouting any day. I have another plot in the back with159 rhubarb plants, onions, potatoes, five kinds of squashes and pumpkins.

View attachment 36374

View attachment 36375

Not sure, John. Sorry. But there are a ton of YouTube videos on the subject.

I got the last of my pots planted on Sunday. A total of 31 pots!

On Monday, I was racking my new Chilean wine went I got a call from a local friend of mine. He needed help with his garden and was calling in a favor.

As it turns out, he had a double plot in our local community garden. It was overgrown with weeds and needed to be prepared for planting. In short order we had his plot weeded, mulched, a fertilized.

The best part of this garden is that there is a gazebo right in the center. After finishing the work that was needed, he produced a nice 2014 cab along with some cheeses, salamis, grapes, etc. We sat out there for a couple of hours and just had a ball.

Some plots are still available. The wife is calling today to get one.

More to come

wife just had major surgery, so we decided there will be no garden this year. I'm just afraid she would hurt herself trying to tend it. We had planned on buying veg from a good friend and he up and died...sad day.

I did a catfish stew tonight and a stir fry yesterday...the store veggies kinda suck. I think I have to plant a couple of squash, tomatoes, and some peppers...just to make it through the summer. Thinking tacky plastic mulch, hole cut to plug in transplants...ugly but functional.

On the plus side, we already have a ton of zinnas blooming out there....got flowers inside and out!

View attachment 36374

View attachment 36375

Wow! I'll stop complaining about weeding my Six rows of corn:sh

wife just had major surgery, so we decided there will be no garden this year. I'm just afraid she would hurt herself trying to tend it. We had planned on buying veg from a good friend and he up and died...sad day.

I did a catfish stew tonight and a stir fry yesterday...the store veggies kinda suck. I think I have to plant a couple of squash, tomatoes, and some peppers...just to make it through the summer. Thinking tacky plastic mulch, hole cut to plug in transplants...ugly but functional.

On the plus side, we already have a ton of zinnas blooming out there....got flowers inside and out!
Hope your wife recovers quick and fully.

Hope your wife recovers quick and fully.

she is doing GREAT....got out of the hospital early....no pain problems....outside healed very fast. I've had to hog tie her to a porch post a time or two to keep her from over doing it. She does tire easy....I keep telling that is your body saying nap time...go lay down and heal up. was scary for me...I didn't like that at all!

thanks for the good thoughts!

That is no doubt the toughest thing to do... Slow down..

I have a tough time with that myself.

I just keep reminding myself that if I should rupture something, and complications follow, I will be out of commission far longer. It would be all because I refused to take it easy.

John - Potatoes in a pot or even better a Rubbermaid trash can:

Here is how my neighbor did it: Drill drain holes. Layer straw, composted cow manure, straw, cow manure. Put your seed tater cuttings in the bottom layer and add layers as they grow. Water. When done, dump can and get yer taters.

These things can get heavy, so a neat trick is to buy a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and put it under the can before filling. Easy to move. Or build your own caster dolly.

Video of similar process I found: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPdbs70GmA[/ame]

Note that it is best not to reuse the same soil next year in case the potatoes have blight or disease, which can be transmitted for two years, even to other plants. Hope this helps. It is by far the best way to do taters.

The Garden (planters) have been loving the heat from the month before and now the monsoonal moisture we have been having for the last couple of weeks. Basil, tomatoes, and lots of peppers (jalapeño and garden salsa) Getting several pounds a week now out of 6 tomato plants!

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

This years garden is winding down with just 3 large potted cherry tomatoes, some swisschard, carrots, and a row of zinnias left. And a pumpkin vine my
granddaughter planted.
:b
Larry

DSC03727.JPG

Latest posts

Back