2017 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@geek,
Like @cmason1957, I'm in Missouri, central Missouri, not far from Columbia.

I am in mo to , close to Hermann mo. Drinking a glass of some Elder/Black i made last yr, its very good. I had several request from guys i work with to "Gift" them a bottle or 2 for Memorial Weekend, most had tried it before and were very pleased

the ones above are Missouri I'm just below them in Arkansas, if you don't have elderberries then you can get some concentrate from www.homewinery.com
1 concentrate good for 5 gallons, but if you call them you can buy 1 concentrate and 1 pint,, my 2016 was started JANUARY 2016, I opened a bottle and man talk about good, I have 9 bushes, and good lord willing they are loaded, but in bad years I use homewinery.com it is much stronger then that bought in cans, if any one aint sure about their elderberry I'm not above begging for a bottle from any one, cough only to test it for you cough::

Dawg

What part of the country is that; although I never made wine with that fruit I heard it is very good.

the ones above are Missouri I'm just below them in Arkansas, if you don't have elderberries then you can get some concentrate from www.homewinery.com
1 concentrate good for 5 gallons, but if you call them you can buy 1 concentrate and 1 pint,, my 2016 was started JANUARY 2016, I opened a bottle and man talk about good, I have 9 bushes, and good lord willing they are loaded, but in bad years I use homewinery.com it is much stronger then that bought in cans, if any one aint sure about their elderberry I'm not above begging for a bottle from any one, cough only to test it for you cough:::HB

Dawg

What part of the country is that; although I never made wine with that fruit I heard it is very good.

A blend of elderberries and concord grapes is good. The elderberries add depth to the taste of the wine. We just had some the other night; I made it in 2001 and it's still very good and mellowed out.

Paul

I just noticed the other day that our elderberry bushes have a lot of flowers this year. We used to have a lot of bushes around the property but most died out several years ago. Hope they're making a comeback, I like elderberry wine, elderberry mead, and a grape/elderberry blend.

Paul
Maryland, costal area north east of Baltimore.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1496073833.442458.jpg
I have four bushes in Central Missouri. I usually follow the EC Krauss recipe. Three of them are looking pretty good. They are about 4 years old. Any suggestions on pruning?

Last edited:
Supposedly production declines after three years so you are supposed to thin every year, removing the older canes. So far, I've only been removing the tallest canes, probably not thinning enough.

I'm in MO too, and mine look great! As far as pruning, with the old canes, you can cut them off in February and just stick them into the ground and they will root, either a long cane or cut them up into 6-8" pieces. You can cut them off at the ground each year. I like them taller where the deer can't reach them. Going to start a batch of Elderflower mead this weekend!

Here are mine:

20170531_130435_zpsyu16z6c4.jpg

Just planted this year. 6 bushes, we'll see how they do!

Latest posts

Back