RJ Spagnols 2010 RQ Announcement

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
This is a C/P from Lisa Jones of RJS that was just posted on their site:

RJ Spagnols is thrilled to announce the 2010 RQ Line-up.

The Restricted Quantity program was created to introduce craft wine makers to up and coming, spectacular, though lesser known, wines and regions – it is “A Time for Discovery”. We strive to bring new and interesting wines to you, and this year is no exception.

You’ll find that each of this year’s RQ has a very strong sense of terroir. “Gout de terroir” is the French term which literally translates to “the taste of the soil” – a flavour that comes particularly with that region and that wine. It is the external influences on the ripening grapes, including the soils (depth and type), bedrock, exposure to sun and wind, water table, rootstock and local climate. My favourite definition is “somewhereness”, the elusive and magical combination of micro-climate, soil and aspect that lifts one wine above another. It’s the reason a German Riesling, an Alsace Riesling, a Niagara Riesling and an Okanagan Riesling all taste differently.

First up is German Ehrenfelser. I will admit to having a soft spot for any aromatic German wines. If you’re not familiar with this wine you are probably not from British Columbia – this is a Riesling/Sylvaner cross and we have a few *great* ones here - sometimes it’s made into ice wine, other times it is a table wine. Ours is an off-dry, fruity, easy drinking, crowd pleasing version – all who are fans of Gewürztraminer, Riesling and Muller-Thurgau will want to try this wine. Available December/January.

Our first red is Argentinean Malbec/Syrah. It’s no secret that Malbec has had an unprecedented rise in popularity in the past few years and it’s with great reason. Malbec from Argentina is smooth and drinkable, but this one comes with a hit of Syrah giving more body and some spicy flavor, it’s a wine that works well with food, but does not require it. Drinkable but not stuffy, every man’s (or woman’s) wine. Available December/January.

The signature white wine of Argentina, Torrontés, is fragrant and flavourful initially and has a great crisp, green acidity and a hint of spice on the finish. Though not originally from Argentina Torrontes is grown exclusively there and flourishes – like Sauvignon Blanc in New Zealand, some grapes are ideally suited for some regions. Something new for those who enjoy Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Viognier or unoaked Chardonnay. Available in February.

Portuguese Trio do Vinho Tinto - the name is a tongue twister for sure. A blend of Aragones (Tempranillo to friends), Cab Sauv and Trincadeira from the “New World” region of Portugal. This is a heavy, rich, dark, wine with layers of flavour, it is FULL bodied. It comes with GenuWine Winery Dried grape skins, which I find creates wines that start as quite fruity and are pretty drinkable, but with time they mature into a smooth, finessed wine with a nice, long finish. Available in March.

Last but not least, South African Cab Franc/Merlot – there is something particular about wines from South Africa, possibly more than any other area their wines have commonality about them, the terroir jumps out at you. This one has strong green pepper flavours with spicy black pepper behind. It is rich, strong and flavourful. Also with GenuWine Winery Dried Skins, this rich wine is for lovers of Italian Amarone, New World Meritage and Australian Blends. Available in May.

I’m hopeful that you are as excited about these wines as we are. Make sure that you do not miss out.

Thanks Dean, time to start saving my pennies! Can't wait for the rest to be announced.
VC

Thanks, Dean. I may have to try one of these reds!!
smiley4.gif

Oh boy! They do such a good job of making me think I need, yes that's right, NEED them all. It's always so tough to choose just a few.
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back