2010 indy competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I got mine too, very modern looking, not proper for a wine medal. Even the stickers you can purchase for your wine bottles are ugly as well. I'd also like to know how I can get a double gold medal for my Cabernet Franc Ice Wine here and nothing from the Jersey Competition!!

John, I bought a roll of 1000 stickers last year if you want any for your winners. I can't see me using that many!!

Thanks Dan, I am quite proud. I didn't expect to do as well as I did this year, but I'm not complaining. I know this is a tough competition so I'm quite pleased with our winners!!

Yeah I got mine too, very modern looking, not proper for a wine medal. Even the stickers you can purchase for your wine bottles are ugly as well. I'd also like to know how I can get a double gold medal for my Cabernet Franc Ice Wine here and nothing from the Jersey Competition!!

John, I bought a roll of 1000 stickers last year if you want any for your winners. I can't see me using that many!!

Wine-o,

I find that most of these competitions are rather subjective. There are those that will definately argue with me over this. Individual tastes differ. The amount a training a taster gets reduces this factor, but can not completely remove this simple fact.

Take the indy competition, for example. For one of my wines one judge gave me a 17, but yet another gave me a 13. They were tasting from the same bottle in in the same competition. How could two different judges score a wine 4 points apart? The only explination is that one judge simply liked it better than the other.

Every time I go into one of these competitions, the results surprise me. I took a beating at indy and at NJ fair and came into the NJ comp fearing the worst.

As it turns out my 2008 brunello ended up with the second best score for the competition. This is a wine that has won a gold medal at Corrados and a silver at Indy. In three other competitions, this wine did nothing.

This inconsistancy used to drive me nuts until a friend told me two things...

1) Do not count your medals before they're hatched. Expect to win nothing.
2) Make a wine that you like and pity the judge that does not agree.

This attitude upped the enjoyment factor.

johnT.

My second mead ever, my first competition ever.

Double Gold, & Ametuer Honey Blend Wine Of The Year!

I didn't even thik I'd get a medal:)

IMAG0153 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I often wonder why they (medals in general) have ribbons sized to fit wine bottles and not people. The bottle did not make the wine, I did (LOL).

My second mead ever, my first competition ever.

Double Gold, & Ametuer Honey Blend Wine Of The Year!

I didn't even thik I'd get a medal:)

Did you also get a trophy of some sort or just a ribbon.
I won a gold,silver and a bronze medals for my grape wines
first time entering the indy competition. the medals are okay , maybe if they were traditional looking with the same colors would of been better

WOW, Way To Go Allen!!! That's a great way to get you hooked on competitions!!

I prefer the ribbons to fit the bottle. I do like it at Corrados when we put the ribbons around our necks but then when I get home I have a hell of a time wrapping them around my bottles.

But I'll take them anyway I can!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back