2008 winemakers competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Group..
There has to be others who entered the WineMakers Competition..
My Wine Club took 6 medals,
2 GOLD
2 SILVER
2 BRONZE

Last edited:
CPFAN Thanks,
There has to be others from here who entered. There were 4,4474 entries 1,118 judging hours from 49 states 8 Canadian Provinces and 7 Countries.

Risking being thrown out of this forum I nevertheless think I should write this:

I am sorry to say so but if these were the olympics everyone would laugh their socks off.

I took a look at the chardonnay part.
182 entries and about 60 winners of medals ?????
In a competition there should only be 1 winner.

Every other entry has about the same result.
About 30% winners ?????

This surely can not be real.
This is of course a joke isn't it ????

Or am I misinterpreting what is published ???

Maybe this is the reason I wrote my april-fools day entry this year:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-de-prijzen-prizewinner.html

Luc

Risking being thrown out of this forum I nevertheless think I should write this:

Luc

You are a fixture Luc..

we would never throw you out!

Besides... everyone is allowed their opinion.

Allie

This is standard practice for wine competitions (commercial and home). That's why every winery seems to have won some medals.

Steve

Yup, in wine comps you could have 100 entries in a flight and actually have 100 Gold Medal winners. A medal is awarded by the score the wine receives against itself. In beer comps it is different. Each flight, one winner, one medal.

OMG Wade!..lmao

yeah I think I'd just make a gold medal sticker and attach it myself!

Allie

Way to go Tom! I have sent wines into that competition in years past and have won medals too.I didn't send any wines in this year because I've never really gotten any good feedback in their notes one way or another. Just scores.I might send something in for my home states wine comp. this year but time is fast running out to send in for it this year.

Last year I didnt and the members of my wine club got good feedback. That is one reason I entered, the other was to see what my '06 Amarone from fresh Italian juice did.
That is the one I got a BRONZE on. :r

Way to go Tom!

I am on page 15. I won a bronze with my Pinot Noir that is in my avatar!! :r:b:D

Last edited:
I personally believe in more "word of mouth" medals then actual ones.

I have the ability to have one of those judges local to me in Vermont. I had this person taste my wine to see if it would be medal quality before I spent the money to ship/give up my bottles.

Her assessment was:
Excellent color with dark cherry and dominating fruit at the nose. This is a very smooth, but light French Cab.

I also had a friend tell me this past weekend she had a local wine distributor from VT and he said it was very good.

With these two comments, I've been thinking more about selling my small batches of wine. I have not been able to get anything from anyone on FDA requirements, etc. Does anyone know of any FDA regs? Or is this just localized regulations?!?

2 words BE CAREFUL!
In order for you to sell you will need all sorts of licenses and fees both Federal and State. FDA has nothing to do with regs. Its the ATF and your State Div. of Taxation that you need to talk to. Unless you have a vineyard forget about it.

Recently I submitted 3 wines in competition at the Cowie Wine Festival in Arkansas. I took one first place and one third...what a joke, I'm in Luc's arena. There were maybe 15 1st place finishers of which I fell in about mid way. There were no comments, criticisms or critique, so it told me nothing as to why my wine was liked or disliked. My view is that it is just a money making venture for the festival sponsors. Maybe I'm a little cynical but that's the way I see it.

Latest posts

Back