200 lbs. pears, 40 pounds of plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Plums

Hi All..
More plums tomorrow....darn....

I've got 5 gallons of Jack Kellers 6 pound per gallon plum recipe frementing...and more plums tomorrow. Anyone got a different recipe to try?

Jack Kellers recipes forget to mention campden tablets, just in case you were unaware,

Plum wine- red or fawn sweet spiced country wine

1 orange rind and juice
1 lemon, rind and juice
6 cloves
30g/1oz root ginger
water
2kilos/4lb white sugar ( darker sugars will add more flavour)
2kilo/4lb plums
campden tablets- recipe states 3 per gallon.. I just used 1 per gallon.
pectic enzyme
yeast and nutrient

put the thinly peeled orange and lemon rind, bruised or crushed spices in a muslin bag and suspend in 4 litres/6 pints water in a saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to the boil, simmering gently for 30mins.

remove the bag and pour the hot liquid over the washed and drained plums in primary ( I cut my plums up ) When cool dissolve campden tabs in the liquid and add orange and lemon juice and pectic enzyme. Cover and leave overnight. Next day add yeast and nutrients and keep at 20 to 25 degrees C/70 to 75 degrees F, still under cover. leave for two days stirring several times a day. Strain off the pulp, pour liquid into secondary and make up to volume with water 5 litres/1 gallon.
Insert airlock .

finish sweet by stabilising and backsweetening with simple syrup when fermentation is complete.

recipe from home made wines cordials and syrups
by Dr F W Beech

Allie

Last edited:
interjection

pardon me but, have not been on for a while. curious, does one peel and freeze pears in prep for primary or just core and ferment raw? this would be my first batch of pear

you could do it either way.. really ripe pears I'd freeze them .. .. you don't need to core apples and pears, they are ok to ferment with the seeds as long as you don't cut the seeds open.

Allie

pardon me but, have not been on for a while. curious, does one peel and freeze pears in prep for primary or just core and ferment raw? this would be my first batch of pear
I slice and core them after washing them (just in case). Leaving the skins on will add color as well

Pear wine

How big of a problem is it if you have ground up pears seeds. We ran pears through extractor. Thanks

Depending on the fruit they will add a bitterness to your wine.

myakka, try buying fresh fruit here in Alaska. Makes me wish I could ferment spruce needles and mosquitoes. I was just talking in the chit chat about making liqueurs, Allie sent in some great links. You might consider dabbling in that a little main..
Troy

Last edited:
I mispoke, $2.99 a pound for plums. That is a killer with me being in a business that the recession killed, construction.
I sure hope to visit your state one day. They say you haven't lived till you ride your motorcycle to Alaska.
My SIL has just a couple months left out on ST. Paul Island before he comes back to the Southern States. His next deployment will most likely be North Carolina. We had hoped for Florida so our two grandsons were alot closer.
He can't have anything stronger than beer out there on the Coast Guard Station so he says he can't wait to get back and sample another venture I have been trying.:h

Latest posts

Back