200 lbs. pears, 40 pounds of plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainecr

Reaction score
Hit a guy at works orchard yesterday. Got plenty of fruit. I left with over 350pounds of pears, and 60 pounds of plums. Good thing I shared...I'd have neve got all that fruit processed.

Looking for a recipe for pear with about 10 pounds of fruit per gallon. Last years 5 pound was great...although I'm hoping for a heavier pear flavor.

Anyone have a heavier pear recipe?

Thanks...

I just made Pear
Here is what I did 36# pears cored and sliced
6 gallons water
sugar to 1.085
9 tsp acid blend
6 tsp nutrient
bentonite
3 tsp pectic enzyme
wait 24 hours
1 packet Cote des Blancs
remove pulp @ 1.030
rack @ 1.010
ferment dry
degas
add k-meta and sorbate
I made a f-pac and back sweetened
After adding f-pac then add clearing agents
rack till clear. (age 6 months)

Hey Wade!
Just picked up 16#'s of Blackberries.
What do you think I paid?

I think the guy paid you to take them out of his hands and also gave you the yeast you smart alec!:)

Son just stopped by with 40#s of plums and said"PLEASE" dad make some plum this year. He is in kitchen washing and pitting.

Son just stopped by with 40#s of plums and said"PLEASE" dad make some plum this year. He is in kitchen washing and pitting.
And how much is in it for you ??? ... LOL !

nice son...

Last edited:
Tom, it will all be his. I will have him hooked and buying carboys in no time. this house isnt a FOP

pear wine

TOM BRING SOME OF THE PEAR WINE TO THE MEETING I'D LIKE TO TASTE IT,JUST STARTED MY RED ZIN WITH 18LBS OF GRAPES AND 36 LBS.OF TAMPENELLO GRAPES /SHIRAZ BLEND,6GALLONS OF VOIGNIER WITH 18 LBS OF GRAPES and CAB STRAIGHT up>>>>TAMPENELLO GRAPES IS USUALLY USED TO MAKE SPANISH WINES LIKE ROJAS<<<:h

I just isn't fair!!!
Here I live in the winter veggie capital of the USA and our fruits are so cotton picking expensive. I checkd plums just the other day at SweetBay and they were $2.00 per pound!
Makes me wish I had started making wine years ago and planted fruit trees all over the yard.

florida fruits

my family lives in cape coral (30 yrs,),and I tell you your right high fruit and produce prices but the worst part is i think they shipp all the premo stuff out and whats left is left...............:s

TOM BRING SOME OF THE PEAR WINE TO THE MEETING I'D LIKE TO TASTE IT,JUST STARTED MY RED ZIN WITH 18LBS OF GRAPES AND 36 LBS.OF TAMPENELLO GRAPES /SHIRAZ BLEND,6GALLONS OF VOIGNIER WITH 18 LBS OF GRAPES and CAB STRAIGHT up>>>>TAMPENELLO GRAPES IS USUALLY USED TO MAKE SPANISH WINES LIKE ROJAS<<<:h

OK still net ready to bottle thou

Ya know its who you know and I know the right guy.
Scored 16# og Blackberries for $5.00. Yea they were on their way out so I tossed maybe 1/2 #

right now there is free fruit and Blackberries just waiting to be fermented around here. If you are driving down the road and see an overloaded fruit tree in a yard, stop and ask. Most they can say is no

I just isn't fair!!!
Here I live in the winter veggie capital of the USA and our fruits are so cotton picking expensive. I checkd plums just the other day at SweetBay and they were $2.00 per pound!
Makes me wish I had started making wine years ago and planted fruit trees all over the yard.

no time like the present!.. late summer is when trees get stressed at garden centres due to water evaporation and often lazy staffmembers. often marked down to sell them off.. if you have a bit of room, pick heavy croppers like apples, plums and peaches/nectarines.

I'm so glad I don't have to buy the fruit here.

Allie

pears and apple

I have three batches of pear wine going now. All in primaries. neighbor picked pears and altogether picked 150 gal in 5 gal pails. We use a juice extractor which I am sure lowers our recovery but by the time its done I should have thirty gallons of pear wine cooking. I hope it turns out well.

Also have three batches of apple wine from some apple trees we picked.

Got 6 gallons total of Pear going now. Just racked 5 gal. the other day and it already looks good and tastes great. :hFresh fruit that is ripe. Dont get any better than that.:b

Latest posts

Back