2 Yeast Packets...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
I believe I already know the answer but am looking for reassurance... Will using two packets of yeast cause problems for my wine fermentation?

I started, after a 24 hour wait, my apple wine from cider by pitching a packet of Renaissance white wine yeast. This yeast was pitched last Tuesday and up until this Friday morning showed very little activity as determined by listening, looking and taking a hydrometer reading as compared to any of my previous wine making experiences. So, after doing some gentle stirring I pitched a EC-1118 packet of yeast into the bucket - just to be on the safe side. An hour or so later I check and the must is "boiling" with CO2 bubbles that I can both hear and see. My guess is that the Renaissance yeast had indeed kicked in but I just didn't notice.

Here is why I think I'm okay. One of the kits I started awhile back came with two packets of yeast, both an EC-1118 and an RC-212. I thought there was a mistake having two packets so I just used the EC-1118. However it bothered me enough having the two that I called CS about it and they said both were included purposely and that both should have been pitched. CS said that I need not worry and that the EC-1118 will do the job by itself but next time pitch both.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
smilie.gif

I believe I already know the answer but am looking for reassurance... Will using two packets of yeast cause problems for my wine fermentation?

I started, after a 24 hour wait, my apple wine from cider by pitching a packet of Renaissance white wine yeast. This yeast was pitched last Tuesday and up until this Friday morning showed very little activity as determined by listening, looking and taking a hydrometer reading as compared to any of my previous wine making experiences. So, after doing some gentle stirring I pitched a EC-1118 packet of yeast into the bucket - just to be on the safe side. An hour or so later I check and the must is "boiling" with CO2 bubbles that I can both hear and see. My guess is that the Renaissance yeast had indeed kicked in but I just didn't notice.

Here is why I think I'm okay. One of the kits I started awhile back came with two packets of yeast, both an EC-1118 and an RC-212. I thought there was a mistake having two packets so I just used the EC-1118. However it bothered me enough having the two that I called CS about it and they said both were included purposely and that both should have been pitched. CS said that I need not worry and that the EC-1118 will do the job by itself but next time pitch both.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
smilie.gif

As far as the quantity of yeast, no worries there. I confess that I do not have any experience with "Renaissance" yeast, but plenty with EC 1118. I know that some yeasts have compatibility problems with other yeasts in the mix, you might do a little digging to see if you can find out about the Renaissance to see if it's one of those. In either case, there's not too much you can do about it at this point in time anyway, so just ride the wave..............

Is that the H2S preventing wine yeast? The company sent me a couple of free
packs to try but I have not used it on anything yet. I was wondering how well it works.

packs to try but I have not used it on anything yet. I was wondering how well it works.

Yes! But I'll never know how well it works because I've now added EC-1118 on top of it. Wish now I had waited a least one more day before adding the EC-1118. Unless there was/is something wrong with my must all I can say is the yeast is a slow starter compared to the several other yeasts I've used in making my wines.

Fermentation seems fine now. I'm seeing and hearing what I expected a day or two ago.

Last edited:

I've used mine and they worked great. I used the Vivace on a white muscadine and the Andante on red muscadine.

It's in the bucket now, it ain't coming out. I've made two batches of apple wine with EC1118...terrible going in the bottle...a year later, they were really nice white wines. Need to do another batch...we are low on whites.

Did you keep the apple wines dry and what adjustments did you do if any? Oak? I love cider but have never had apple wine yet so just sorta wondering what the profile is like.

They had cider for $3/gal @ Kroger but it has K-Sorbate so I haven't picked any up.

Cheers!
-jb

Did you keep the apple wines dry and what adjustments did you do if any? Oak? I love cider but have never had apple wine yet so just sorta wondering what the profile is like.

They had cider for $3/gal @ Kroger but it has K-Sorbate so I haven't picked any up.

Cheers!
-jb

Not sure you're asking me but Ill jump in anyway...

I'm doing my second six gallon batch. I fermented to dry my first batch, which was started about this time last year, then back sweetened with 2 cups brown sugar, one cup honey and 2 cans frozen apple juice concentrate.

I put a cinnamon stick in secondary but didn't notice any taste as a result. With this second batch I intend to put a stick in for a two month or so bulk age.

Also, the cider I use is fresh pressed, unpasteurized and with no additives. It comes with a caution/warning label on the jug about it not being pasteurized.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back