2 week mark on Wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregO83

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. My father and I made a EC Kraus Rosso Fortissimo 2 weeks ago. It’s now time to transfer to carboy per the instructions. He has been punching down the grape skins every other day. My question is how much longer can we let it sit in the primary? Due to the current conditions I am trying to stay away from my parents since I work in healthcare. He cannot transfer alone because I don’t trust him lifting the vessel. I was planning on just going there and keeping my distance since the wine is out in the garage but I’m sure this will make him sad if we don’t do it together since it’s our hobby. How much damage could be done to the wine if it’s left in primary for awhile?

thanks!
Hope everyone is doing well.

I think you need to get it out of the bucket sooner, rather than later. If you (maybe we) thought another day or week and all would be clear, then waiting would be okay, but I don't think that is the case. Once you get the wine under airlock, which is what happens after this initial rack, you can wait a good long while, but right now, timing is a little bit more important. Masks and gloves maybe??

I think you need to get it out of the bucket sooner, rather than later. If you (maybe we) thought another day or week and all would be clear, then waiting would be okay, but I don't think that is the case. Once you get the wine under airlock, which is what happens after this initial rack, you can wait a good long while, but right now, timing is a little bit more important. Masks and gloves maybe??

thanks for the response! It is under airlock but the amount of headspace is concerning.

Hello, I need help I think with my wine making. Direction's call for the sg to be 1.080/1.097 after mixing all together. Using a wine kit. making a Chardonnay wine. First sg was 1.060, do I add sugar to get it to the recommended gravity? It's in primary bucket now. After 24 hour's sg is suppose to be aroynd0.996, mine is still about 1.060? Any help would be RERALLY nice. Thanks Dennis

Hello, I need help I think with my wine making. Direction's call for the sg to be 1.080/1.097 after mixing all together. Using a wine kit. making a Chardonnay wine. First sg was 1.060, do I add sugar to get it to the recommended gravity? It's in primary bucket now. After 24 hour's sg is suppose to be aroynd0.996, mine is still about 1.060? Any help would be RERALLY nice. Thanks Dennis

Relax on the 24 hour figure. There is no way on God's green Earth that you will go to 0.996 in 24 hours. 3 days would be a FAST ferment, and 6 days might be more typical.

As to your starting SG: Hard to say, obviously. What kind of kit is this? [EDIT: I had written: "How are you measuring SG? (Hydrometer, I hope.)" But now I realize you are the person we just taught to use a hydrometer.] Did you mix the batch well? Did you use the correct amount of water?

Yes, if all else was done correctly, you can add sugar to get to the desired SG level (and hence ABV level). But it is difficult to explain why it would be that far off.

Yes I am the person you taught to use hydrometer. This is a wine kit through adventure's in home brewing. Everything came with it. 1 gallon kit, water to 1 gallon. mixed with a drill and mixing fork for about 10 minute's. Thank you for response

Yes I am the person you taught to use hydrometer. This is a wine kit through adventure's in home brewing. Everything came with it. 1 gallon kit, water to 1 gallon. mixed with a drill and mixing fork for about 10 minute's. Thank you for response

I didn't see your hydrometer 'class', but did you calibrate it in water to be sure it is reading correctly?

Latest posts

Back