WineXpert 2 months to make a killer Cab?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BingingOnBojo

Junior
Reaction score
I'll just start by saying I know time makes kit wines better.

With that said, a friend of mine has commissioned me to make Cabernet Sauvignon for a party in 2 months.
I have made several kits before and currently have a CabSav going.

I was given 2 Vinters Reserve Cab Sav kits and other than that, free reign, with the only catch making it as good as possible to open up in early May.

My plan is to start fermentation w/ Red Star Premier Rouge as opposed to the EC1118. I'm also going to add 1 tsp of tanning powder to primary fermentation and use the oak chips provided.

After secondary I plan on following the kit instructions as is, but adding oak spirals until pretty much right before bottling, and perhaps adding some finishing tannins for added mouthfeel.
I will also degas with a whip and pump.

Any other tips, aside from the obvious "you should have had more time?"

Thanks!

You should have had more time. :D

I'm not sure I'd use finishing tannin in this scenario, as it might take some time to integrate. The only other advice I can give is to make sure expectations are in line.

Welcome to WMT!

My reaction is same as Jim's: I think tannins vastly improve kit wines, but they will take time.

I am thinking along the quick-and-dirty lines of adding glycerol to give some body and smoothness.

That young? Backsweeten around .5-.7 brix. It will bring the fruit out. The greater population talk dry, but will pick / enjoy this slightly sweet wine every time.

I'll just start by saying I know time makes kit wines better.

With that said, a friend of mine has commissioned me to make Cabernet Sauvignon for a party in 2 months.
I have made several kits before and currently have a CabSav going.

I was given 2 Vinters Reserve Cab Sav kits and other than that, free reign, with the only catch making it as good as possible to open up in early May.

My plan is to start fermentation w/ Red Star Premier Rouge as opposed to the EC1118. I'm also going to add 1 tsp of tanning powder to primary fermentation and use the oak chips provided.

After secondary I plan on following the kit instructions as is, but adding oak spirals until pretty much right before bottling, and perhaps adding some finishing tannins for added mouthfeel.
I will also degas with a whip and pump.

Any other tips, aside from the obvious "you should have had more time?"

Thanks!
Go to the store, buy some decent bottles of cab. Either re-label it, or rebottle it. Killer cab in two hours...

My reaction is same as Jim's: I think tannins vastly improve kit wines, but they will take time.

I am thinking along the quick-and-dirty lines of adding glycerol to give some body and smoothness.

This is a good option. I remember reading about Glycerol awhile ago and just filed it away. After doing a bunch of research, I will try this for sure. I have a 2 month old CabSav going right now that I just cleared and stabilized and will be beginning to bulk age. Im going to pull a glass, add a drop of glycerol and see whats up.

And I don't want to re-label anyone elses wine, that defeats the purpose of this whole place!

If you will use tannins that need to integrate ASAP, try the luxe kit from Scott Labs ( they only need 2 days as opposed to a month). It's $15 for a sample kit that brings enough tannin for a 6 gallon kit. These seem to be the top of the line in the tannin world, but are only sold in high quantities, therefore the only option for a home winemaker is the sample kit. I ordered one but haven't used it yet.

I had a very informative call with one of their reps

Check it out below

http://www.scottlab.com/product-446.aspx

All taht oak and tannins will take a long time to mellow.

Should have made a Mist kit with cab sauv as its base. Those can be ready in 2 months.

All taht oak and tannins will take a long time to mellow.

Should have made a Mist kit with cab sauv as its base. Those can be ready in 2 months.
I agree. I made an OB Raspberry Rapture (light Cab Sauv base) using 1/2 the fpack to ferment, 1/2 to back sweeten. Not to my liking but I don't have any around anymore, so others liked it. Even that type of kit is pushing the time envelope a bit.

One other suggestion is when you do serve this, decant and aerate vigorously before drinking.

This is a good option. I remember reading about Glycerol awhile ago and just filed it away. After doing a bunch of research, I will try this for sure. I have a 2 month old CabSav going right now that I just cleared and stabilized and will be beginning to bulk age. Im going to pull a glass, add a drop of glycerol and see whats up.

And I don't want to re-label anyone elses wine, that defeats the purpose of this whole place!
Who's idea was this, and what were they thinking?

I would just like I to throw this thought in. Though most replying to this thread would not drink a wine so young, that is probably not the case with allot of people the use brew on site stores to make their wine. If they purchase a Vintners Reserve kit to make at the store, they wold be expected to bottle and take ti home in just 4 weeks. Allot would start consuming soon after.

A passer by spotted a fellow loading his wine into the trunk behind a U-Vint store. "How long do you age your wine before drinking?" he asked. "Oh about 3 miles" the guy replied.

I would second the suggestion of back sweetening to take the edge off. Glycerin will also help take the edge off without sweetening.

cheers

I would just like I to throw this thought in. Though most replying to this thread would not drink a wine so young, that is probably not the case with allot of people the use brew on site stores to make their wine. If they purchase a Vintners Reserve kit to make at the store, they wold be expected to bottle and take ti home in just 4 weeks. Allot would start consuming soon after.

A passer by spotted a fellow loading his wine into the trunk behind a U-Vint store. "How long do you age your wine before drinking?" he asked. "Oh about 3 miles" the guy replied.

I would second the suggestion of back sweetening to take the edge off. Glycerin will also help take the edge off without sweetening.

cheers

Thank you.

I appreciate the constructive comments. I'll cross my fingers and hope it all works! If not, it's just grape juice after all...

Latest posts

Back