2 months old.. is this about normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I needed to free up a 6 gallon carboy so I bottled 1 gallon then moved the rest of my Pinot Grigio to a 5 gallon carboy for bulk aging.

The wine was started from juice and it smelled fantastic.. I mean it smelled so good, I wanted to drink it up.. Boy was I wrong.

The sample I had.. when I tried it, it made my lips pucker! I was like WTH? How can it smell so good, but taste so sharp, tart, and what not? So my question is... is this normal?

Part of the reason I'm asking this is because I watched a guy on YT make Pinot Grigio from juice and he was done it 2 months, then talking about how good it tasted. So I'm thinking either he's taste buds are jacked up from drink a bit too much or well, you know...

So, does what happened to my sound about right it the crazy taste? Anyone care to guess how long it might take to mellow out some? The SG was 0.994. Will back sweetening to 0.998 or even to 1.000 make it drinkable quicker?

Thanks!

Absolutely normal, the sugar has been converted to alcohol, so the sugar is no longer there to mask the acidity. The TA is critical for a dry wine and you have to determine what level suits your taste. If you don't like dry wine you may need to back sweeten to offset the acidity.

if the wine is young, less than a fe months it will be harsh. let it sit for about three months and try again. do bench trials with sugar syrup on sample to see if there is any benefit.

The wine is young.. I think I started it the last week of Sept or possibly the 1st week of Oct... It's young.

If I let it age, say another 3 months, will that have more of a mellowing effect versus back sweetening it? Should I back sweeten now then age it or will it not matter?

Let me say, I just love the smell of this wine.. it's got this lime citrus with a hint of apple smell to it. I wish it tasted the way it smelled.

just let it sit wait three months rack and add k-meta taste if still unruly go another 3 months. if impatient at that time try some back sweetening in a bench trail. the longer you can age the better.

just let it sit wait three months rack and add k-meta taste if still unruly go another 3 months. if impatient at that time try some back sweetening in a bench trail. the longer you can age the better.

Will try.. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back