WineXpert 2 kits started tonight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
Well, FedEx finally arrived with my package today.
smiley32.gif

I started a Pinot Noir and an Ice Wine.

I put an extra liter (approx) into the ice wine because I wasn't paying attention.The SG is 1.080 so it's a little low according to the instructions.

Earlier today I testedthe hydrometer in distilled water at 60 degrees F and it's right on the money.

I don't think I should worry about the ice wine SG being a bit low. Anyone disagree?

The SG on thepinot measures in the proper range so I'm good there.

I'm just waiting now for the temp to drop a bit before pitching the yeast.

Don't you hate waiting for the temp to drop? Seems like it takes forever doesn't?

Congrats!

I would love to know how the Ice wine comes out. Has anyone else ever made it. Please elaborate. Thinking of trying this myself

yes, waiting sux. It would be ok if my wine rack wasn't empty, but the only thing in there is two bottles of absinthe. I saw a trick somewhere in the forum where people throw in frozen bottles of water to bring the temp down, but I didn't think about freezing any until it was too late.

I'll let everyone know how the ice wine comes out. I'm really excited about that cause it's the closest thing to liquid candy I can think of!

Looking at my old log book I see that I used distilled water in the past. This time I was sure to use spring water. I also got my hands on a slower speed drill so that I could stir the must w/o it sloshing over the sides of the primary.

Waldo puts ice in a ziplock baggy and throws it in to drop temp. Genious!!!

And the spray bottle of sanitizer is something I won't do without now! It's the cat's PJs! =)

oh yea... ziplock baggy. Let me check the temp again and see if I need it. thanks.

Joan, I set up my bottle of sanitizer today as well. Was that Waldo's ideaas well?

I don't know whose idea it was but Waldo was posted about it! Thanks Waldo!!
smiley20.gif

I started the ice wine 7 days ago. SG for seconday fermentation is suppose to be 1.080 and I was at 1.100 last night so think I will rack to carboy tonite.

I too use the spray bottle trick, a lot. I used the ice in the baggie trick a bit but it wasn't fast enough for me (it was late) so I just let the must sit and pitched in the morning.

I boughta bottle ofIce Wine when we went to Germany last year and can only hope this turns out half as good!

I started a spiked Green Apple Riesling the same day (4 pounds of sugar in 12 cups of water) and the SG was 1.018 last night so will prolly rack that tonite too. Unfortunaltly, it has a sour smell mixed in with the fermentation smell, so I'll have to see how that goes (only 3rd kit so still quite new at this smell and taste thing). My wife will be happy when that one is racked because we keep the fermenters in our bedroom (best consistant temp in the house).

Sounds good Coaster! Keep us updated. Australia was where I first tasted ice wine. I've only had it a couple of times since I moved back cause it's over four times as expensive here in AR. There's a nice muscato for $10 (750ml) that I buy once in a while and that's almost as yummy.

Well, I decided to read and then crash last night rather than mess with the ziplock bag. This morning the temp was at 70 F for both. I gave them both a good stir with the drill, took another SG reading (same) and pitched the yeast.

It's been about four hours since I pitched the yeast and I'm already seeing some action in the Ice Wine via the air lock. So soon?

I don't use an airlock during primary fermentation but I did have bubbles in the must and a good smell from the ice wine within 12 hours.

the ice wine is definitely percolating. I'm surprised at how fast it started. I pulled the airlock out a while ago and let the pressure out. I tried the cloth cover one time, but I had a bunch of fruit flies appear out of nowhere so that's why I use the cover. I think there's some posts out there about pros and cons... I'll have to do a search.

I place the lid on my primary but don't click it shut. Then I paper towel over the airlock hole. Every couple of hours for the first I lift the lid off and use it as a fan to blow the Co2 off and then put it back. Once I have a good ferment (usually after 24 hours) I close it all up and stick on an airlock.

I woke up sweating this morning and realized that the AC had gone out over night. The temp in the house was 82F. The tech just left and we're running the air again, but I was nervous about the wine. They're still happily bubbling away though so no worries!

I tasted the ice wine tonight and was blown away. I can not get over how good it tastes. This is by far the closest one of my kits has come to commercial quality. I'm really, really happy with it! (Can you tell?) I'll probably bottle in another 30 days.
smiley20.gif

Hi Rob, which Ice wine kit is this so as I may try this one out as
well. I've only tried it once at a wine tasting and liked it but always
seem to forget about it every time I go to a packy which isnt often.

When the wife is in a bad mood I pour this stuff in a baby bottle, wrap herin a blanket on the couch in front of the tv and give her the bottle...
smiley36.gif

I'd like to try the red ice wine some time. I've never tasted that and didn't even know it existed until I saw a kit for it.

The kit I used:
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?MM_Flavor=Ice+Wine&PartNumber=3272

Ahhh... the "packy". Wade, your posts always make me homesick. That's a very regional word.

Thanks for the kudos Waldo.

I'll have to pick up that Selection Reisling Ice wine kit and try it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back