2 different yeast in a kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast can also improve structure if you know your wines base profile you can look at the versus test charts and pick out yeast that mime your wines taste profile .
Think outside the box.its fun and can be rewarding.

I am not sure how you don't think that there is a contradiction. My link says: "Killer factor: Sensitive" and your link says "Neutral to the competitive factor."

View attachment 72625
So sorry, I somehow missed that in your original post on this subject. Now, after researching far more than I ever thought imaginable I found one reference that said RC212 was neutral/"sens". How can that be? Contradicotyr indeed. At the same time, I found that most references listed RC 212 as neutral. See Yeast - Neutral | Scott Laboratories . I'm guessing that the reason for including EC1118 along with RC212 is to hedge one's bets and guarantee a good fermentation even when the vintner mishandles the process or possibly to kill competitive yeasts which might somehow contaminate the must

Hello everyone, since we're talking about yeasts here, I have a question. Has anyone done a Syrah with RC212? I've been researching and it appears that is only recommended for Pinot Noir. Cabn it be used with any other red variety?

Back into wine making. Making a Wine Expert Private Reserve Pinot Gris.
Came with 2 packs of yeast which is not unusual, but found it odd they were different varieties.
Lalvin
EC -1118
K1-v1116
Is this common?

in case any on is interested I am
Trying to get close to wife’s favorite wine, which had more of a pear flavor, but finding the flavor difficult to mimic.
Can’t find dried pears, which would require me to prepare and dry down pears. Not sure I have the time for this, so may age on dried apricots, per the advice of some on here!
I have seen this in kits too and have either used them both as instructed or not used the EC 1118. For your fruit flavor I wouldn't use dried fruit as it has a LOT of sulfites and may not contribute the desired flavors easily. I'd go with adding some fruit wine base instead: Pear Vintner's Harvest Fruit Base 96oz (homebrewing.org) and consider that this will add both flavor and fermentable sugar to the wine - so you'll have to decide whether you want to add before stabilizing (stronger wine) or after (sweeter wine). I would do some bench tests to see what your wife likes before doing the whole batch.

Hello everyone, since we're talking about yeasts here, I have a question. Has anyone done a Syrah with RC212? I've been researching and it appears that is only recommended for Pinot Noir. Cabn it be used with any other red variety?

you might want to check out this guide - Choosing Wine Yeast Strains

It lists RC212 for at least 4 or 5 different varietals. Sryah is not one of them, be aware that if you go with it that nutrient requirements are somewhat high for RC212 and it will get STANKY, STANKY, if it runs low on nutrients. I might suggest Sryah Yeast for fermenting a Sryah. or perhaps Bm4x4 or AMH.

Lallemande indicates on their site that it can be used with reds in general. It was included as a second yeast in a batch of Fiero Primitivo that I recently started. I would look into BM 4X4 for reds other than pinot noir

It lists RC212 for at least 4 or 5 different varietals. Sryah is not one of them, be aware that if you go with it that nutrient requirements are somewhat high for RC212 and it will get STANKY, STANKY, if it runs low on nutrients. I might suggest Sryah Yeast for fermenting a Sryah. or perhaps Bm4x4 or AMH.
Got it, thanks.

@cmason1957 ,which nutrients do you recommend for rc212?

@cmason1957 ,which nutrients do you recommend for rc212?

For me nutrition starts at rehydration (and I nearly always rehydrate) with goferm. Then I use Fermaid O or K at the 1/3rd and 1/2 sugar point. I can't say I have seen much difference between the two. As a side note, there is a new nutritional item available FermFed Dap Free Yeast nutrient. That looks interesting at least.

For me nutrition starts at rehydration (and I nearly always rehydrate) with goferm. Then I use Fermaid O or K at the 1/3rd and 1/2 sugar point. I can't say I have seen much difference between the two. As a side note, there is a new nutritional item available FermFed Dap Free Yeast nutrient. That looks interesting at least.
Thanks. As a matter a fact, I just ordered that FermFed Dap Free from MoreWine to experiment and Fermaid O.

Latest posts

Back