2 days no activity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin_Wines

Louisville
Reaction score
Morning all,

I have one gallon of Concord juice mixed with
1/2 tsp Lalvin 1116, added 2 oz of raisins.
2 cups organic sugar.

Its been sitting in a temp controlled wine room(72 F) for 2 days now with no activity.

I did not rehydrate the yeast(i never do)just incase anyone ask.

What can i do to fix this, i dont have a problem with tossing it out and starting it over if that needs to be done.

I have made at least 20 gallons like this except i never used raisins which im am assuming could have caused the problem of yeast not active.
Is there a way to fix this or do i toss it.

Thank you

Do you have any idea what some of the parameters of your must are, like starting SG and maybe the ph of your must? Assuming not, the simple thing to try is to rehydrate your yeast and make certain it is going good prior to adding it to your must. More than likely it didn't take off, it happens sometimes.

Morning all,

I have one gallon of Concord juice mixed with
1/2 tsp Lalvin 1116, added 2 oz of raisins.
2 cups organic sugar.

Its been sitting in a temp controlled wine room(72 F) for 2 days now with no activity.

I did not rehydrate the yeast(i never do)just incase anyone ask.

What can i do to fix this, i dont have a problem with tossing it out and starting it over if that needs to be done.

I have made at least 20 gallons like this except i never used raisins which im am assuming could have caused the problem of yeast not active.
Is there a way to fix this or do i toss it.

Thank you

48 hours isn't that long to wait for a yeast to take off. Unless your yeast was old or improperly stored, allow it 96 hours to show signs of activity before you take any action. A few more degrees of warmth wouldn't hurt either if you can get it up to the mid 70's..............

As Craig suggested, letting us know the starting SG would be useful. If your juice was highly concentrated with sugar and you added some, this can prevent your yeast from getting started.

Do you have any idea what some of the parameters of your must are, like starting SG and maybe the ph of your must? Assuming not, the simple thing to try is to rehydrate your yeast and make certain it is going good prior to adding it to your must. More than likely it didn't take off, it happens sometimes.
You are assuming correctly.
That is the one thing i need to start doing, i normaly just wing it with no problems until now.
I will try same yeast package and rehydrate it this time.
Thanks very much to you both,
I will wait another 24 to 36 hours or so and keep my eye on it, i will also increase temp to 75 F.
Thanks.

48 hours isn't that long to wait for a yeast to take off. Unless your yeast was old or improperly stored, allow it 96 hours to show signs of activity before you take any action. A few more degrees of warmth wouldn't hurt either if you can get it up to the mid 70's..............

As Craig suggested, letting us know the starting SG would be useful. If your juice was highly concentrated with sugar and you added some, this can prevent your yeast from getting started.

Went to check on it this morning and had a major over flow, it is definitely active now.

I have never had one take this long to start,(always next day) but boy did it start, what a mess. LOL
still not sure why the over flow or why it took so long to become active.
I did increase room temp to 74 F also.

Thanks for the help!

see included picture.

Attachments

• Concord Grape overflow.JPG
    Concord Grape overflow.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 18
It have have been some preservatives on the raisins as well. They put them on n them to keep them from spoiling. It could have thrown off the yeast. The warmth also helped kick it off. Nice mess though. Ya don’t mind it so much when you finally get some fermentation.

It have have been some preservatives on the raisins as well. They put them on n them to keep them from spoiling. It could have thrown off the yeast. The warmth also helped kick it off. Nice mess though. Ya don’t mind it so much when you finally get some fermentation.
I did not think about preservatives on the raisins, thanks.
Yeah, im just glad i didn't have to toss it out.
Thank you

Went to check on it this morning and had a major over flow, it is definitely active now.

I have never had one take this long to start,(always next day) but boy did it start, what a mess. LOL
still not sure why the over flow or why it took so long to become active.
I did increase room temp to 74 F also.

Thanks for the help!

see included picture.

Most of us ferment in an open container, 25% more volume than the must, covered loosely with a lid or a towel.

Back